Purina

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Purina

Postby ashleynzues » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:42 pm

I have been feeding my dogs purina since I got them. Zues is now on Purina Dog chow and caine still 7 months is on Puppy Chow. A vet today, not mine, told me that Purina is the worst thing I could possibly do for my dogs and Zues (year 7 months) should still be on a puppy food until two.

Is purina not a good dog food? Should Z be on puppy chow til 2? I switched Zues over 2 months ago when he was year 5 months..

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:47 pm

Somewhere on here is a thread about this very subject, but I couldn't find it. I fed my dogs Purina Beneful for years and have since started feeding raw. Everything about my dogs have improved.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm

It depends on the dog. Purina is not the greatest. There is a sticky called top 5 foods that has been added too and such.

I have tried several top name brand foods, without the corn, by products and fillers, etc. I have ended up going back to Pedigree cause that is what they do well one.

There are dogs out there that eat worse and die of old age.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:00 pm

If it works for you and your dog why change it? Sure there are "better" foods out there but it is most certainly not the worst food you could feed. The Purina Pro Plan for example is not that bad at all.

BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:56 pm

I would never feed my dogs Purina. If you check out here, there are many threads on nutrition....

I feed Canidae which has worked well for my dogs but there are many choices out there, just do a search! :thumbsup:

BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Oh, and just because your dogs are doing "fine" on it now, that doesnt mean they will be fine later...poor nutrition does have long term side affects.

I only feed my dogs food that promises human grade products, and Purina does not do that......

BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Sorry, no edit button!

Here is the sticky thread on dog food, lots of reading but good info!

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 672003444a

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:01 am

I really like Purina Pro plan, particularly the canned foods, but the regular dog chow isn't great. Pretty much anything found in a grocery store these days isn't as good as what you will find at a specialty pet store.

Puppies should be fed puppy food until they have reached their full growth potential. This could be 7 months for smaller breeds or 2 years for giant breeds like Great Danes.

Your average pit bull should be able to eat an adult food by 10 months or so... so I'm not sure why your vet recommended puppy food until 2 years of age???

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 am

If you can get it at a grocery store, it's not worth feeding at all.

(x2 on Misskiwi's comment)

Check out www.dogfoodproject.com

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:00 am

Vets are not trained well in animal nutrition. Do you know who is? Veterinary nutritionist. Here is a link to one of the worlds most educated veterinarian nutritionist, who has no steak in the pet food industry and who makes her money by consulting people who don't feed commercial kibble. You may find very surprising what she has to say. Check it out.
http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?Men ... ingred.asp

http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?Men ... keting.asp

ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ashleynzues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:02 pm

I can't get any of the foods you are mentioning without driving an hour.. MY vet isn't the one that told me this.. i do health checks every other month.. so my dogs are perfect...

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 pm

ashleynzues wrote:I can't get any of the foods you are mentioning without driving an hour.. MY vet isn't the one that told me this.. i do health checks every other month.. so my dogs are perfect...

Again, check out www.dogfoodproject.com :thumbsup:

chia pit
Matured Bully

Postby chia pit » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I really like Purina Pro plan, particularly the canned foods, but the regular dog chow isn't great. Pretty much anything found in a grocery store these days isn't as good as what you will find at a specialty pet store.

Puppies should be fed puppy food until they have reached their full growth potential. This could be 7 months for smaller breeds or 2 years for giant breeds like Great Danes.

Your average pit bull should be able to eat an adult food by 10 months or so... so I'm not sure why your vet recommended puppy food until 2 years of age???

just a note giant breeds like Danes and Mastiffs should never be fed puppy food u dont want these big guys to grow to fast puppy food causes bone pain in large breeds i use to use pro plan but i switched to purina hi pro which works better for my dogs .

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:46 pm

I would feed a Purina product to a dog that was starving. But not to one of my own dogs. Last bag of Purina I has was Pro Plan, and I ended up donating it to the animal shelter because our dog was doing so poorly on it.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:41 pm

chia pit wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:I really like Purina Pro plan, particularly the canned foods, but the regular dog chow isn't great. Pretty much anything found in a grocery store these days isn't as good as what you will find at a specialty pet store.

just a note giant breeds like Danes and Mastiffs should never be fed puppy food u dont want these big guys to grow to fast puppy food causes bone pain in large breeds i use to use pro plan but i switched to purina hi pro which works better for my dogs .

Yes they can eat puppy food they need proper nutrition too and they are not gonna get it from adult food. Regular puppy food containg to much fat and protein for giant breeds. They need to be feed a puppy food forumlated for Giant Breeds.

Side note misskiwi is a vet that does keep up on this stuff

Return to “Health Issues”