Bye Bye Canidae

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Luetya
Super Bully

Bye Bye Canidae

Postby Luetya » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:33 pm

The pet store I take Clyde to has been special ordering me canidae and felinae for six or seven months. We've been really happy on it. But now, due to gas prices, the supplier (Phillips I think) is upping the minimum order requirment to $500 a pop and they just can't meet that number. So, no more Canidae. :crybaby: They've cut out carrying Science Diet and Solid Gold due to upped prices and now only cary Nutro. While I feel loyalty to this mom and pop joint I have checked out other pet stores in the area because food quality is important to me but I can't find anyone with anything better. It's so frusterating to me. Why doesn't anyone carry quality food?!?!

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:52 pm

Try and check the prices at www.petfooddirect.com

Their shipping is usually really good and they always have discounts/deals.

Michael
Super Bully

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:57 pm

They blow

Item Total: $37.49
Shipping (33 lbs) to 00000: $25.99

Total:
$63.48

I can get a decent product at sams club or costco for a third of that price.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 pm

Well I was just suggesting...some people like to feed their dog the same food rather than having to find a new one. I know ordering it online wouldn't stop me if my dog did really well on it.

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:34 pm

What about ...

http://www.k9cuisine.com They carry Canidae

Free shipping with orders of $50.00 or more.

Luetya
Super Bully

Postby Luetya » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:20 am

Hmmm, well. We were getting the 20 lb. bag for 25 bucks. That's a similar price to petfooddirect BUT you throw in shipping and it's $41

K9Cuisine doesn't carry the 20 lb bag. They have a 35 for 49.99...a penny off of free shipping. Not quite double the size for double the price. Of course if I bought a bag of Felidae too I'd get free shipping but that'd be a lot of money to come up with all at once. It's another 40 bucks (Again, about double what I paid at the pet store) for the cat food, that's $90 total.

Really it's not free shipping cuz your over paying for the product.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:47 am

You may need to switch to s similar food
Diamond Naturals
Kirkland (costco only)

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:15 am

spammie wrote:You may need to switch to s similar food
Diamond Naturals
Kirkland (costco only)

I second that, just try something similar.

We were feeding our cats Felidae, and when I went to re-order, I was shocked to see the price went up and the bag sizes went down. So I'd be paying more for less food...eff that.

So I switched them to Diamond Naturals.

The dogs normally eat Taste of the Wild, which is also produced by Diamond, and we haven't had any issues.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:01 am

I see your point, I didn't realize it was so much more!

Are there no other stores in your area that carry Canidae? If not, I agree with trying Diamond Naturals.

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:57 pm

I switched Buster to Taste of the Wild recently - oddly enough they sell it at Tractor Supply. I don't know if you have one near you, but their prices are decent. They also sell the Diamond Natural food (same brand as TOW I think?).

Shaysmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Shaysmom » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:05 pm

how is the kirkland food? i am currently feeding dvp duck and potato but was thinking about a switch. i was going to switch to candidae but kirkland would save me some money. anyone feed or have any experience with kirkland?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:12 pm

I have fed Kirkland in the past, but I wasn't too impressed. My main problem was that it always smelled like burnt bread, which bothered me (this was two different times of buying the food). Falon also hesitated to eat it, and she NEVER hesitates to eat anything! (she inhales her food)

This of course is my own personal experience and I always hear others that do really well on the food, so I wouldn't judge based on my experience alone.

However, I think DVP Duck & Potato is much better. If your dog is doing well on it I would stick with it...unless of course it is putting a big damper on your budget in which case I can understand you wanting to switch.

Right now Falon eats DVP A.M.P (active) and is doing great. Been through 2 big bags already and it's one of the only foods that keeps up with her activity level while keeping her stools regular and firm.

Shaysmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Shaysmom » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:23 pm

thanks so much! one other question...she is doing well on the duck and potato, however, ive read that there is questionable protein amount in it, and that for the same money i could switch her to a food with higher protein content. am i overthinking this or no? i will spend the money while i can, but just want to make sure if i am spending all this money that she is getting the best she can get.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:26 pm

Shaysmom wrote:thanks so much! one other question...she is doing well on the duck and potato, however, ive read that there is questionable protein amount in it, and that for the same money i could switch her to a food with higher protein content. am i overthinking this or no? i will spend the money while i can, but just want to make sure if i am spending all this money that she is getting the best she can get.

It does have a lower protein amount compared to other foods, but you can always add more protein to the diet by adding cooked meat (no more than 10% of the diet) or a high-protein canned food mixed in.

When I fed the Duck + potato to my papillon, I added Innova EVO 95% duck canned to the food to increase the amount of protein he was getting. Works just as well and actually is more digestible protein than feeding a higher protein kibble (canned food is more digestible period).

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:38 am

We've officially switched our dogs to Nature's Variety. I didn't like the new Canidae formula that equaled yellow soft serve in my yard. (I think by 2 bags in, they can't call that an adjustment period anymore.)

Return to “Health Issues”