Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:48 pm

We have started feeding Brodix BB Wilderness. He had been on Eagle hollistic for about 3 months and had no problems, but the animal supply said they were having a hard time getting new stock. So we decided to try the wilderness. I'm a little concerned about the protein level being kinda high and him only being 15 months old. I spend nearly every minute of everyday with him, and we are very active. What should I do, continue the wilderness or maybe go to regular Blue Buffalo ? I also mix a can in with every meal.
Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby DoggyDaddy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 pm

My pet rabbit....thank god he can't read because the bag of dog food is by his cage! Siren

roflmao

I've been feeding Missy Iambs. Today I bought a small bag of Wellness chicken flavor. When I opened the bag just a few minutes ago, she almost yanked it out of my hands! Needless to say, she loves it!!

I heard on the molosser dogs site that Timberwolf has outsourced its food processing to another company. Any truth to that?
DoggyDaddy
Matured Bully

Postby rgyoung777 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 am

DoggyDaddy wrote:I heard on the molosser dogs site that Timberwolf has outsourced its food processing to another company. Any truth to that?

This is actually what most of the premium dog food companies do. Not many of them are large/successful enough to have their own processing plant. So, instead, what they often do is select and ship ingredients to a processing plant of their choice and their food is made by that processing company according to the company's individual specifications.

There are only a couple of premium kibble companies that process their own food, and those that do also rent the use of their facilities to other companies.

Timberwolf is one of the companies that does not own its own plant, so Timberwolf food is processed at a plant belonging to some other company. It has always been manufactured by renting another company's facilities. At one point, T-wolf's food was manufactured and packaged at one of Diamond's plants. Now it's some other company.
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby MyloveMydog » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:32 pm

has anyone had problems with the new canidae formula??
MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby bassol808 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:13 am

which is better??

Science Diet

or

Chicken Soup for Dog Lovers

thats the best choices I got here....
bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby molucass » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:36 pm

I would go for the the Chicken Soup over Science Diet any day.

When we first got our chihuahua (he is 3 yrs. now) that is what we fed him, and he did really good on it.

I've heard good things about it, but unless you are talking to a vet, I've not heard any good things about Science Diet.
molucass
Forum Junky

Stuck on Which to feed

Postby alwyzchanging » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Ive been reading the topics in this post for a while now (just now stopped at page 20 because my eyes are getting tired right about now) But anyways. I was wondering which dog food to get, I'm stuck between Timberwolf and Natures Variety. Is there really a significant difference between the two? I own two pits, one is about 40lbs, the other is a good 65-70lbs. And I also own a chow mix, and an English toy spaniel. So I want a food that will last, but that also has great health benefits. I also wanted to know exactly what else to feed on top of the kibble. I've read that garlic, unflavored yogurt, and salmon oil is good too, but what are the benefits of those? The posts I've read don't go into detail on those supplements, er- added extras I should say. Well anyway- I hope that someone could help me out with this dilemma because I am very ready to upgrade their food from Canidae to something more nutritious.

Sincerely,

Indecisive.
alwyzchanging
Newborn Bully

Timberwolf

Postby alwyzchanging » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm not sure if the posts I've read are correct, but has Timberwolf changed their ingredients? Would they still be considered #1 on the top 5 after the change?
alwyzchanging
Newborn Bully

Postby louie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:45 pm

I currently feed my dog Wellness Super5Mix and have been thinking of switching to a more high protein kibble.

I've narrowed my choices down to Wellness Core and Timberwolf Wild & Natural.

At my pet store (Pet Supplies Plus), Wellness Core costs $50 for 26lbs ($1.92/lb) and the Timberwolf is $60 for 33lbs ($1.81/lb). The Timberwolf is slightly cheaper but there has been a lot of praise for it in these forums.

I'm new to reading the Ingredient for dog foods and was looking for advice on which is better or if they're very similar and just come down to which brand I prefer.

Ingredients for Timberwolf:
Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat, Dried Potato Product, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Salmon Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomato Pomace, DL-Methionine, Dried Whey Product, Casein, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Lecithin, Taurine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein min. 36%
Crude Fat min. 18%
Crude Fiber max. 2.5%
Moisture max. 9%
Ash max. 5%
Calcium 1.4%
Phosphorous 1.1%
Copper 16 mg/kg
Vitamin A 22,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D 1,200 IU/kg
Vitamin E 350 IU/kg
*Taurine min. .17%
*Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.4%
*Omega-3 Fatty Acids 1.2%

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

CALORIE CONTENT (Calculated)
Kcal/kg 3,980
Kcal/cup 564

Ingredients for Wellness Core:
Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potato, Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Canola Oil, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Vitamins & Minerals, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Products, Rosemary Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein min. 34%
Crude Fat min. 14%
Crude Fiber max. 4%
Moisture max. 10%
Calcium max. 2%
Phosphorus max. 1.4%
Vitamin E min. 150 IU/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* min. 3.25%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* min. 0.70%
Glucosamin Hydrochloride* min. 250 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate min. 200 mg/kg
Total Micro-organisms* min. 80,000,000 CFU/lb
Crude Protein min. 5 mg/kg
louie
Adolescent Bully

Postby medagrl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:05 pm

I think this list needs to be updated. I keep reading how a lot of these brands have changed their ingredients, and its hard to read almost 50 pages to keep up. lol
medagrl

Postby Angela Adams » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:44 pm

I subscribe to Whole Dog Journal and I'd be willing to email you my copy of the WDJ’s 2008 approved Grain-free dry Dog Foods list. Just PM me. :)

I also have the WDJ’S 2007 TOP APPROVED DRY DOG FOODS, but can't seem to find my 2008 list :(
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bassol808 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:06 pm

molucass wrote:I would go for the the Chicken Soup over Science Diet any day.

When we first got our chihuahua (he is 3 yrs. now) that is what we fed him, and he did really good on it.

I've heard good things about it, but unless you are talking to a vet, I've not heard any good things about Science Diet.

ha.ha..yeah, I work at Oreos vet now..and he "swears" by Science Diet...I bought a few bags to try it out but I am definetly going back to the Chicken Soup one once the SD is gone....

unless I can find where to order one of the top 5 foods
bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:08 pm

I went onto the Timberwolf website and Im so bummed

Shipping Information Shipping Information

We thank you for your order. Timberwolf Organics offers free shipping anywhere in the continental US (lower 48 states) on all orders over $15.00.

We ship all our orders via UPS.

We cannot ship to Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico.

that sucks...anyone know how I can get Timberwolf???
bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hammer 4 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:19 pm

It seems like alot of vet's sell the science diet, and I can't for the life of me figure why they would sell that crap..o.k. I know, $$$ :frown:

bassol808 wrote:
molucass wrote:I would go for the the Chicken Soup over Science Diet any day.

ha.ha..yeah, I work at Oreos vet now..and he "swears" by Science Diet...I bought a few bags to try it out but I am definetly going back to the Chicken Soup one once the SD is gone....

unless I can find where to order one of the top 5 foods
Hammer 4
Newborn Bully

Postby Razors_Diesel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 am

this forum subject is right up my alley. when i got my pup i did a little research on dog food and the availibility in my area and wanted to know what u guys think about diamond dog food .. i bought it before i joined the forum and i was just reading the ingrediants and im screwed ( i think)
it has chicken by product and ground corn.. f#%k i thought i made and educated decision. :oops: heres the site i read all the ingredients

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diam ... y_formula/

so im thinkin i might need to change to somthing better.. i bought it at tractor supply.. HELP!! :frown:
Razors_Diesel
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues