Bye Bye Canidae

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:54 am

bahamutt99 wrote:We've officially switched our dogs to Nature's Variety. I didn't like the new Canidae formula that equaled yellow soft serve in my yard. (I think by 2 bags in, they can't call that an adjustment period anymore.)

I cannot agree with you MORE here. The poop was SO abnormal and once I switched to DVP Natural Balance (couldn't find something reasonably affordable except that) their poop went back to normal. Something is just NOT right in my opinion with the Canidae.

My place to get the stuff was having issues ordering it too because of the gas prices. So, needless to say, Canidae will NOT be getting my business anymore. Primarily due to the yucky yellow poop though.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:36 am

lpyrbby wrote:
bahamutt99 wrote:We've officially switched our dogs to Nature's Variety. I didn't like the new Canidae formula that equaled yellow soft serve in my yard. (I think by 2 bags in, they can't call that an adjustment period anymore.)

I cannot agree with you MORE here. The poop was SO abnormal and once I switched to DVP Natural Balance (couldn't find something reasonably affordable except that) their poop went back to normal. Something is just NOT right in my opinion with the Canidae.

My place to get the stuff was having issues ordering it too because of the gas prices. So, needless to say, Canidae will NOT be getting my business anymore. Primarily due to the yucky yellow poop though.

I agree. Ever since Canidae started being made in a Diamond plant and using their ingredients, you'll notice their formulas look ironically like Diamond Naturals and Premium Edge ingredients. Coincidence? I think not!

As much as I'd like to blame the company, Canidae, it's not their fault at all. They were already not making a big profit margin because of the quality of ingredients they were using and not charging an arm and a leg. Once the economy started going down the sh**ter, they had to do something just to stay in business. So don't forget to blame our economy and not the company!

Rocco
Newborn Bully

Postby Rocco » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:17 am

My dogs stool has returned to normal after 1 1/2 bags of the new formula. i think it is even firmer and more consistant now

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:24 am

I would not let Canidae off the hook so easily. They changed the formula of their food and many dogs that have eaten it for years are getting sick on this new Canidae.

Here is a link about this:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html

All the high end dog food makers have cheapened their foods. Timberwolf added rice to all their formulas, and Canidae did who knows what to theirs. The dogs' reactions to the food really tell the story.

I am glad I feed raw, I would not feed Canidae now though I fed it in the past with good results.

Yes, I would put the blame on the company!

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 am

lpyrbby wrote:

We are also having problems with gross, yellow poop, alternating between soft serve and diarrhea. Today is the 4th straight day of my male's newest bought of diarrhea. He pooped in his crate on Saturday and then all over the rug that same night, he never does that. :frown:

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:36 am

I wanted to add that my dogs are both very itchy with flaky skin (ears and coat) and my female is having anal gland/scooting issues which she never had before...I have no idea if the anal gland issue can be food related?

Rocco
Newborn Bully

Postby Rocco » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:47 am

So what is everybody switching to now

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:08 pm

I got some Merrick Turducken and so far so good. We're still mixing with the Canidae for the changeover. I was going to get Taste of the Wild, but the two places I checked with didn't have it. I think I might actually try the rotation thing now.
Jen

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Rocco wrote:So what is everybody switching to now

Nature's Variety. Any more changes, and I'll probably push for raw.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 am

My BT had a little bit of mushy poo following the Canidae change... but a couple of weeks in, and their poo is fine. Although a little different color lol

It is a bit pricier now, but still a good value (imho, of course).

Return to “Health Issues”