GD ear infections

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

GD ear infections

Postby damienApbt » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:29 pm

well the ear infection has arrived once again. man rod jacks him self up. i came home from work yesterday to rod scratching his ear and crying. when i went to see what was up i saw his ear was bloody and gooey. wow, that was fast. i always check his ears but this one was out of the blue.

any way i had to clean it up and chase the boy around the apt each time i got up to get some swabs. what a mess. well i got it all nice and clean and put some anti itch cream in there. so far so good, but i think im gonna have to get some strong allergy meds from the vet and some antibiotics for more infections in the future.

his skins been good though no major out breaks yet. but we'll see. his antibiotics get way up there as far as price goes. $1.20 each pill. good lord, and 2 pills a day. and thats just the anitbiotics. allergy meds arent too cheap either. i remind rod each time that this pills worth a dollar so you better swallow it.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Boo439 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:44 pm

That's awful. I know just how Rod feels. I have a very bad allergy to something that hasn't been determined yet. It itches so bad sometimes, that you think you're going to scratch a big hole in yourself.

I hope they give him something to keep the allergies under control. They're no fun.
Boo439

Postby moto1320 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:50 pm

Ear infections hurt like a SOB. :po: When i had mine they gave me Novacain drops for the pain. Perhaps your vet could supply these to help with Rod's pain/unwillingness to let you clean them out.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby HugABull1 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:45 pm

Ohhh, poor Rod :sad: Allergies SUCK!!! I have major allergies, and so does my boy, Gage. Do you know what Rod's allergic too? Gage is allergic to ALL grains, which is why I feed BARF (otherwise I probably wouldn't bother - kibble's easier :tongue: ). Gage's number one symptom is ear infections, but on the BARF diet, he doesn't get them:)

If you don't know what Rod's allergic too, might be worthwhile having him tested, then you could try and avoid/eliminate it.

Good luck!
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby mnp13 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:41 pm

Have you tried just plain old benedryl for him? The generic stuff is $5 for 200. Connor gets 6 a day, three with each meal. If you don't want to bother with the pills, you can dissolve them in water and then put the water on his food. Give it a few minutes to soak in and you're good to go.

It wouldn't hurt to try for a few days, and anything is better than a buck a pill!!!

Michelle
mnp13

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:17 pm

If you do the antibiotics don't forget an acidophilus supplement for his digestive tract. Diahhrea isn't much fun.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby damienApbt » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:44 pm

If you do the antibiotics don't forget an acidophilus supplement for his digestive tract. Diahhrea isn't much fun.

rods been on antibiotics a lot. i havent had problems with his poo. :))
last spring and summer i was giving him 2 allergy pills and 2 antibiotic pills a day. so im pretty in tune with how he reacts to them.

Have you tried just plain old benedryl for him? The generic stuff is $5 for 200. Connor gets 6 a day, three with each meal. If you don't want to bother with the pills, you can dissolve them in water and then put the water on his food. Give it a few minutes to soak in and you're good to go.

rods great with taking pills, i dont have a problem with him not taking them. i did buy benedryl, but havent started giving it to him regularly yet. needless to say im going to start.

It wouldn't hurt to try for a few days, and anything is better than a buck a pill!!!

the buck a pill is for the antibiotics the vet was prescribing. his outbreaks kept getting worse so he gave me the highpowered stuff. aint cheap. the outbreaks stopped seasonally so i stop the meds for a while, which was great for rod and for my pockets. but they're back again. wellness fish and SP has definitely helped so far with his skin problems. at least for now. i'll probably wake up tomorrow with rod in hives.

If you don't know what Rod's allergic too, might be worthwhile having him tested, then you could try and avoid/eliminate it.

yeah, i know ear infections are a sign of food allergies. but rod only gets them seasonally. all he eats is dog food and the occasional raw beef bone. his allergies only come around for spring and summer.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby CinderDee » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:58 pm

My dog was doing a bit better and in the last two days he has started scratching like crazy, his ears are a mess again and he has a rash all over his belly.

I'm using Otomax for his ears & Atarax 3x per day for the allergies. I am seriously considering a raw diet for him.

I think that Barbponys is giving you excellent advice re: the antibiotics and the probiotics. I take a probiotic formula when I've been on antibiotics too.

Good luck,
Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby damienApbt » Sat May 01, 2004 10:44 pm

ok may be you were right about the "MUD BUTT" thing guys. i never had that problem with the prescibed stuff, maybe thats why its so expensive. he was on it for like a year straight and never had bucket ass from the meds. this benedryl stuff is doing a number on his bowels (sp?)

i hate watching him spray paint the pavement knowing that i have to try and pick it up. :yucky:

roflmao i love toilette humor. not when the jokes on me though.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Sun May 02, 2004 9:23 am

barbponys wrote:If you do the antibiotics don't forget an acidophilus supplement for his digestive tract. Diahhrea isn't much fun.

Pat

Good point, not just for the runs but, antibiotics kill off all of the good bacteria necessary for proper food digestion in terms of plain health. If he is on them frequently/long term, I would add these in. Innova puts them in the food, don't know about Wellness. The live stuff from the Health Food store the needs to be kept in the fridge is the stuff to use anyway.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues