My dog almost died

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby jmann4 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:13 am

mnp13 wrote:I was told (I can't remember by who) that using running cold water is the best way to cool them off. Standing water will qickly heat up on the skin's surface. Wetting them down in the shade and then letting a hose run on their belly and back legs does the job.

Whoever told you that was giving good advice.

Running water that is cool but not super cold is the best. Run the water over the back of your hand or forearm and it should be cool to moderately cold.

Wetting them down and putting them in the shade allows the water to evaporate and that's how they cool down.

The groin, back of legs, and belly have thousands of blood vessels that regulate heat. Which is why these areas are very important to when your dog is very hot. By cooling them off we let them catch up and pant off excess heat quicker.

Another tip is if you can put them in the shade just off the ground. This way the air can flow under the dog and evaporate the water we put on their legs, belly and groin faster.
jmann4

Postby pocketpit » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:22 am

For anyone who's dog is in an emergency situation, using ice packs in these areas on the way to the vet's is also a good idea if they are available. Just be sure not to place it in direct contact with the skin. A wet towel wrapped around it works well. We see all kinds of heat stroke victims in the summer :crybaby:
pocketpit

Postby babosupaman » Sat May 01, 2004 4:06 pm

wat are the first signs of heat exhaustion?
i try to take my dog in when i feel like he's getting hot, but feelings can't always be trusted.....cause when the tempature is above 75...i don't take him out to play until it gets cooler at night.
babosupaman

Postby mydogroxy » Sat May 01, 2004 7:58 pm

yes please for give my ignorance, but how do you know when you're dog is overheating?
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Sat May 01, 2004 10:51 pm

Early signs include very rapid panting, an elevated heart rate, excessive drooling with a thick saliva (many dogs look like they are foaming at the mouth) often accompanied by a glassy stare and or wild expression similar to panic. If you lift the upper lip, gums will be bright red or a muddy pink/gray color. The body temperature will rapidly shoot higher and higher. Normal body temps (101-102.5 give or takes a few tenths o a degree) can reach 105 or higher quickly. Anything over 105 degrees and your dog will no longer be able to oxygenate their brain enough and damage occurs. Seizures are not uncommon and once the body reaches 108 degrees or higher, the internal organs suffer severe damage as well.
pocketpit

Postby damienApbt » Sat May 01, 2004 10:56 pm

mmmmm. the joys of summer. cant wait. jeeze makes me not want to leave the house. :))

thanks pocket pit.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby pocketpit » Sun May 02, 2004 12:31 am

Sorry, I know it's disturbing (and I left the really yucky stuff out).
pocketpit

Postby concreterose » Sun May 02, 2004 5:44 am

I have to watch for overheating a lot in the summer, especially since we don't have air conditioning. Some nights when it's unbearable we have to sleep downstairs, my upstairs bedrooms get REALLY hot :roll:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Annie » Sun May 02, 2004 7:32 pm

Has anyone tried one of those gel-based cooling mats ("Canine Cooler" and others) I've seen advertised? They're a little pricey, but if they work, they sound like they'd be a great option for dogs who don't have air conditioning at home.
Annie
Newborn Bully

Postby jmann4 » Mon May 03, 2004 9:33 am

pocketpit wrote:Early signs include very rapid panting, an elevated heart rate, excessive drooling with a thick saliva (many dogs look like they are foaming at the mouth) often accompanied by a glassy stare and or wild expression similar to panic. If you lift the upper lip, gums will be bright red or a muddy pink/gray color.

Good post.

Also, their breath will smell like Acetone. Something like nail polish remover smells like. If I suspect my dogs overheating I check their gums and smell their breath. If they are overheating you don't have to stick your nose into the dogs mouth because the smell will be quite easy to notice.
jmann4

Previous

Return to Health Issues