Next best kibble to Canidae?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TheDieseltruck
Adolescent Bully

Next best kibble to Canidae?

Postby TheDieseltruck » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:55 am

So, we have recently started feeding Canidae, and while it's great, I'm noticing that all of my dogs and very very lean. I'm feeding them plenty, and I talked to a co-worker about it and they said that they fed Canidae for a while and that it has a very low percentage of fat. She suggested mixing in another high quality kibble, or raw, which I can't afford right now. (too bad)

Anyway, I'm looking for a good kibble that is about the same price as Canidae. I was thinking about Chicken Soup for the Soul, as Domino and Jahk were on it for a while and did pretty well.

Any suggestions?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:08 am

We switched to Healthwise (Chicken & Oatmeal). I am pretty happy with it so far, and it is cheaper than what we were paying for Canidae. I have noticed that I have to feed my dogs a little less of it too.
Worth looking into if you can get it in your area. Stores that carry Innova or California Natural should also carry Healthwise. It is made by the same company.
I should update my Healthwise thread and give it a review now that we've been using it for a while.
:thumbsup:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:35 am

I feed Innova
I wouldn't mix kibbles and ftr do not add raw to kibble as it causes stomach uspest (ftr as I know you said you are not going to do that at this time anyway)
The lady that did the original top 5 foods on here did not reccomend feeding 'Chicken Soup', she said it was too many meat soruces more or less(sure if you go thru her thread (it is a sticky) you can read her response about it.
Diamond has had too many recalls for me to feel comfortable feeding their products also.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 am

Very, very few properly fed dogs are underweight. Have you read the sticky about how to tell if your dog is overweight before you try to add fat to their diets? Most people are used to seeing overweight dogs, and so think ones of proper weight are too thin, but that's not the case.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:12 am

You could try Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. It has high calories/cup, higher fat and protein also. Diamond Naturals is pretty affordable.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:58 am

If you have a Costco membership, the Kirkland dog food is very similar to Canidae.

TheDieseltruck
Adolescent Bully

Postby TheDieseltruck » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:01 pm

I'll have to see if I can get any of those foods in Tulsa, especially the Kirklands, as I don't even know if their is a costco in tulsa.

And as for my dogs being underweight, I'm not sure. It's just jahk that looks a little thin, as I can see a very faint outline of his ribs when he's walking/running. I can also kind of see them in the sunlight.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:22 pm

Then actually he's just right.

You should be able to see but not count the ribs.

TheDieseltruck
Adolescent Bully

Postby TheDieseltruck » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Oh...beautiful then.

Thank you. :)

It kind of makes sense, since he is made of lean breeds. (Boxer, APBT, Ridgeback)

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:02 pm

He does sound like he is at a good body weight.

I feed Canidae and raw chicken quarters - but not together. I either feed kibble in am and raw in pm or on alternate days. At Walmart ckn qtrs are about $5 for 10 pounds so its very affordable and cuts down on feed costs.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Yep, your dog sounds like his weight is fine.

See if you can compare to this photo. My boys (the white ones) are at a pretty good weight right now, IMO. You can see ribs, a nice tuck, no hips showing, and nice muscle tone.

goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Postby goldenstatefan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Nutro any good?

Razors_Diesel
Matured Bully

Postby Razors_Diesel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:38 pm

i switched from diamond puppy brand to diamond naturals chicken and rice and diesel is doing well on it.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:54 pm

I wouldn't feed Nutro if you paid me.

On the topic of Canidae, we fed it for 2 years. After they changed the ingredients recently, my dogs weren't doing well on the new formula, so we switched to Nature's Variety. Go by Southern Agriculture. They carry some good foods. Nature's Variety, Innova, Premium Edge, etc.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Oops. I didn't mean that last post to come off as anti-Canidae. It is anti-Canidae-for-my-dogs. But if your dog is doing good on it, stick with it. It's still a good food. Just didn't work in my house after the change.

Return to “Health Issues”