exercise

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

exercise

Postby lepidus » Sat May 01, 2004 7:09 pm

How old must a puppy be to start a regular running routine and what is the type of mileage to start with? What is the maximum mileage that these dogs are capable of running as an adult? The reason I'm asking is I am a runner and would like to know just how far I could eventually run with my dog? Thanks in advance.
lepidus

Postby concreterose » Sun May 02, 2004 8:04 pm

You shouldn't start running your pup until it's a least a year...some people say wait until about 18 months because they're still growing and bones are still developing. Long walks should suffice until then and are excellent exercise. You can also play short games of fetch and tug for exercise.
What is the maximum mileage that these dogs are capable of running as an adult?

I would say build your dog up gradually to a distance that seems comfortable for it. Watch your dog, it'll tell you when it's overheated or tired. Check pads regularly for wear especially if you are running on pavement, and carry water...dogs get overheated quickly. There is a lady on here, Aimee (her handle is Odnarb,) who runs her dog Grant regularly...perhaps she can give you some more tips on running when she comes on.
Hope this helps!
concreterose
Regulator

Re: exercise

Postby jmann4 » Mon May 03, 2004 9:30 am

lepidus wrote:How old must a puppy be to start a regular running routine and what is the type of mileage to start with? What is the maximum mileage that these dogs are capable of running as an adult? The reason I'm asking is I am a runner and would like to know just how far I could eventually run with my dog? Thanks in advance.

Puppies at 6-12 months of age can be started running short distances on soft surfaces. Stay off concrete at a young age as it may cause injury later in life. When they are grown, 15-18 months you can move them onto concrete to run.

Work the puppy up to any distance you run. If they are in good health, get a proper diet, and run with you everyday, you can build their wind and endurance up to whatever your's is. I've seen APBT's run 20-25 miles per day with their owners riding bikes. These dogs were started fairly young and slowly worked up to longer distances.

Main thing is be aware of the heat and how hot the ground is. Avoid pavement in the summer time. And bring plenty of water along for the run. Both for drinking and wetting your dog down from time to time to cool them off.

And finally, take baby steps and slowly build their endurance. That's very important otherwise you might break your dog down physically.
jmann4

Postby TB » Mon May 03, 2004 9:43 am

I start puppies at 6-8 months old running short distances. I never run less than 3 miles, so that's where I start them out. I've always hear people say a year to start, but with medium sized dogs like pit bulls, I've never worried about waiting that long. With a giant dog like a Dane, I'd wait till they were about two!

As for how long they can run-much longer with you can :)) Just be aware, as Jmann said, of the fact that they don't cool as efficiently as humans. In summer, in warm climes, stick to early mornings and evening time. I notice my dogs have a decline in endurance during the hottest months, but they can still run whatever distance I'm going.

I've also noticed that the super thick, heavily muscled pit bulls are much less athletic than the leaner built ones. Lugging all that muscle mass around is tiring, I guess :roll: My 38 lber has amazing endurance and speed.

Have fun with your pup! Dogs make the best running partners-no whining about turning back or being tired or having sideaches! Plus, they never say they can't or don't want to go for a run. Very motivating :tongue:
TB
Adolescent Bully

Postby concreterose » Mon May 03, 2004 11:17 am

I didn't know you could run dogs on pavement! Live and learn :)
I want to start biking with Vicki, as she is 12 months now. Can I bike with her on pavement? I know I have to watch for pad wear. How long can I work her up to with biking?
concreterose
Regulator

Postby abman » Mon May 03, 2004 12:32 pm

Its similar to people. You need to start off slow and gradually build them up. One thing to remember is to keep water with you. Bull breeds will really push themselves to keep going so make sure they dont overheat especially during the summer. If your dog does get hot its much better to put cool water on his/her belly and not the back. A back with water in its coat with the sun shining down can actually heat up the dog more. Some of the johnson american bulldogs who are really bully have overheated in 70 degree weather. One of the best ways to protect a dog from overheating while playing on a hot summer day is to have a child pool available with cool water. Just make sure they dont drown due to being exhausted, so make sure to supervise.
abman
Matured Bully

Return to Health Issues