Doc ate some Onion....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Doc ate some Onion....

Postby moto1320 » Sun May 02, 2004 8:30 pm

I dropped the end part of an onion I cut off on the floor, and Doc of course gobbled it up. I haven't been able to find how much it takes to cause a problem. It was probably only a few ounces. Anyone know?
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Ariel Payopay » Sun May 02, 2004 8:34 pm

Should be fine. I Stitch ate an onion ring I dropped one time. Nothing happened.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby abman » Sun May 02, 2004 9:11 pm

My dog sneeked a few onion rings from burger king when my back was turned and he was fine. It gave him horrible gas but other than that he was fine. I called the vet and asked him about it and he said as long as it wasnt a large amount they should be fine.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby concreterose » Mon May 03, 2004 4:58 am

Pookie used to sneak onions from off the floor. A little bit won't hurt.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Mon May 03, 2004 7:07 am

i was cooking in the kitchen one night and rod snatched up a whole garlic clove i dropped. he was fine, but his breath was horrible for a long time. i mean really really bad. he smelled like a greasey italian.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Mon May 03, 2004 9:22 am

Onions are only bad in large quanities. A small piece or one slice usually won't cause any problems.
jmann4

Postby kendall » Mon May 03, 2004 9:38 am

i was cooking in the kitchen one night and rod snatched up a whole garlic clove i dropped. he was fine, but his breath was horrible for a long time. i mean really really bad. he smelled like a greasey italian.

No need to worry too much about garlic. The only way garlic would cause a problem is in a very large amount. Like upwards of 8-10 cloves in a day. It's not toxic to dogs like onions are. Garlic actually probably did Rod good, in the small amount he ingested. It's a natural antibiotic and it stifles the growth of parasites in the intestines.
As for the onions Moto, Doc should be fine. My collie used to hang around and steal Vadalia (sp??) onion slices whenever they hit the floor. I don't know why he liked them so much. But he used to manage to grab a slice every now and then, and he was never hurt.
Just for peoples' benefit, the problem with onions is they cause hemolytic anemia-- the red blood cells screw up (yeah, that's the medical term :thumbsup: ) and your dog can't get enough oxygen to his/her body. Small dogs (and cats) are more at risk than bigger,bulkier dogs like our bullies.
Symtoms that you'd probably be able to notice would be dark colored urine (which can also be a symptom of mild-severe dehydration), fever, dizziness, weakness, confusion, increased heart rate, etc.
Anyone who is anemic themselves (like me :crybaby: ) will be able to recognize those pretty quick, because those are the same problems people have with it.
Anyways... Moto, Doc should be all set. If you're still worried, just keep an eye out in the next few days for those symptoms. It can take a couple days for the anemia to really cause a problem.. but once a week goes by, I think you're home free.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby moto1320 » Mon May 03, 2004 4:07 pm

Cool, I couldn't find a thing on amount and I hadn't ever worried because it hadn't come up. Plenty of horror srories, but no facts.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues