Interesting statement about "fixing your dogs"

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Red Chrome wrote:

To tell someone that their dog from great lines and a reputable breeder is not breed worthy because you feel he should be neutered is ludacris and I don't agree with it. I promote speuter but there is a right and wrong way for things.

Courtney

You know Ludacris? He's a great rapper! roflmao

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Red Chrome wrote:People have pushed me to neuter him, against my breeder's contract, because his hips don't look the best off of crappy x-rays with wrong positioning.

I wouldn't make ANY decisions based on those radiographs. The positioning was actually half-decent, but none of us are radiologists and none of us are orthopedists... and NONE of us should be telling you to make medical decisions about your dog based on crappy photos of bad radiographs.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:28 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:

To tell someone that their dog from great lines and a reputable breeder is not breed worthy because you feel he should be neutered is ludacris and I don't agree with it. I promote speuter but there is a right and wrong way for things.

Courtney

You know Ludacris? He's a great rapper! roflmao

Shhhhh...I was mad and couldn't spell properly. lol lol lol Yeah..maybe I do.....he's my sugar daddy(ICKY roflmao) Anyway, OOPS!

Misskiwi- I appreciated your response on his hips, I was hoping that you'd comment when I posted them. I'm not making any decisions about him until after he OFA's at 2. Also, I jsut won't post anymore about him as it's not worth the headache here.

Courtney

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:22 pm

Well I just got a call from our vet and another intact female who was "bred" gone wrong, Autumn ruptured her uterus, probably during labor (God knows where she gave birth!) and is lucky to even be alive, however, in the time since her puppies, her uterus, being a huge mess in there, was adhesed all over the place and she had a very tough time during surgery.
I'll update her thread too, but just, as I said, an example of what happens when pets aren't cared for and left intact and those "oopsies" occur. The dog is not only lucky she made it this far, but almost died during surgery due to the complications she had apparently when having the puppies. Not only does she have infection in there, her uterus was so fragile, it began to tear and everything else while she was under.
What a mess :(

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm

i just posted the link, i dont believe it thats for sure... genetics has alot to do with temperment, so that study cant be accurate.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:36 pm

msvette2u wrote:Well I just got a call from our vet and another intact female who was "bred" gone wrong, Autumn ruptured her uterus, probably during labor (God knows where she gave birth!) and is lucky to even be alive, however, in the time since her puppies, her uterus, being a huge mess in there, was adhesed all over the place and she had a very tough time during surgery.
I'll update her thread too, but just, as I said, an example of what happens when pets aren't cared for and left intact and those "oopsies" occur. The dog is not only lucky she made it this far, but almost died during surgery due to the complications she had apparently when having the puppies. Not only does she have infection in there, her uterus was so fragile, it began to tear and everything else while she was under.
What a mess :(

She also came from an irresponsible owner obviously!! I mean, who lets their bitch have puppies wherever they fall? A BYB, irresponsible owner is who.

I'm not an irrseponsible owner and know that most people on this forum are not...so your story while heartbreaking is something that no one here with intact dogs would let happen.

Sorry to hear about Autumn!!!
Courtney

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:28 pm

At the risk of offending anyone, I've got 16-month-olds and I don't know how anyone can determine a dog breedworthy at that age. I've got my hopes and dreams, but to say for certain that anybody WILL be bred is premature. If your convictions are strong and your reasons are sound, nobody will make you run away from anything. If you choose to run, choose to continue running.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:36 pm

After reading this thread, I've thought a lot about neutering my dogs(both male and female).
I am now in a position that if I had an unspayed bitch and she became pregnant, I have the funds to have her aborted. I also have no qualms about destroying unborn puppies(an issue for some).

Not that I'm ever irresponsible about containing my animals, but I was thinking. If you have a bitch in heat, and she gets out, or a male breaks in and she becomes pregnant; you can take care of the situation.

If you have a male that breaks out and impregnates someone ELSE'S bitch, you don't really have a say on if those puppies will be born or not. You don't have control over the situation and you're only part of the problem.

I don't believe that i will be speutering my next male (until he's fully mature) I don't know about the next bitch I get, just because I hate dealing with a drippy, in season dog :yucky:

I know that after the testicles are matured, there is a flap left after neutering. I wonder if a vet would be willing to remove the extra skin? They had no problem removing skin from Keela's head(was defective) or when a shar-pei has too much extra face skin.

Maybe I should call and ask my vet.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:47 pm

so your story while heartbreaking is something that no one here with intact dogs would let happen.
"
Yes, they have, and do. Read intros, and other areas, yes, they do.
Don't say no-one here, because this type thing has happened.
It's usually called "oops".

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:10 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:
I know that after the testicles are matured, there is a flap left after neutering. I wonder if a vet would be willing to remove the extra skin? They had no problem removing skin from Keela's head(was defective) or when a shar-pei has too much extra face skin.

Maybe I should call and ask my vet.

Yep, it can be done, and is commonly done in older males with testicular cancer to make sure you get all the cancer cells. Its a messy bloody surgery in a very sensitive area, and not one I'd look forward to performing without a laser or electrocautery.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:15 pm

msvette2u wrote:
so your story while heartbreaking is something that no one here with intact dogs would let happen.
"
Yes, they have, and do. Read intros, and other areas, yes, they do.
Don't say no-one here, because this type thing has happened.
It's usually called "oops".

The people here are FAR different from your average Joe. Those of us who work in the real world instead of chatting here in internet-land know the truth of it. I live in a pretty ritzy area, and I still see a lot of intact females and "just one litterers" and intact males because hubby can't stand to see them go. I've performed a dozen well-litter checkups, and I can only think of one client with an intact dog who's breeding quality... and that dog hasn't been bred recently!!!

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:34 pm

I think we need to agree to disagree. We need not force with biase opinions, but to PROPERLY educate the facts

Saying EVERYONE has the possibility of an "Oops", and the incidents/risks of the "Oops" are so high that all dogs need to be altered regardless, is like saying EVERYONE with a pit bull can have a bite/attack and since the bite/attacks risks/incidents are so high, that we need to ban the breed.

We fight that not all owners are irresponsible, did we forget that?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:53 pm

Unwanted litters are MUCH more common that pit bull attacks...

Unwanted litters are just as bad for the breed as bad press IMO.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:27 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Unwanted litters are MUCH more common that pit bull attacks...

Unwanted litters are just as bad for the breed as bad press IMO.

x2
I wish I had a penny...no, a HALF a penny...for every "oopsie" out there.
If I did, I'd be a billionaire already.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:44 pm

msvette2u wrote:x2
I wish I had a penny...no, a HALF a penny...for every "oopsie" out there.
If I did, I'd be a billionaire already.

Ooh, can I come live in the house that oops-puppies built? roflmao

This is a great prep thread for the shots fair this weekend, where unfixed pits abound (ready, Kadillac?).

Return to “Health Issues”