Interesting statement about "fixing your dogs"

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:37 pm

pacopoe wrote:
msvette2u wrote:x2
I wish I had a penny...no, a HALF a penny...for every "oopsie" out there.
If I did, I'd be a billionaire already.

Ooh, can I come live in the house that oops-puppies built? roflmao

This is a great prep thread for the shots fair this weekend, where unfixed pits abound (ready, Kadillac?).

No, I'm really not... I know so many "breeders" that live off their dogs I want to just grab an AK and start picking them off. Oops. Not very Christian of me. Oh YEAH, I'm not religious! :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:42 pm

I haven't gotten it yet :crybaby:

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:35 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:At the risk of offending anyone, I've got 16-month-olds and I don't know how anyone can determine a dog breedworthy at that age. I've got my hopes and dreams, but to say for certain that anybody WILL be bred is premature. If your convictions are strong and your reasons are sound, nobody will make you run away from anything. If you choose to run, choose to continue running.

This is very true but I'm also sick of dealing with having my dog bashed by people on here because I said that he is a breeding prospect and IF he passes all health testing and titles in the sport that we are doing then he will be bred.

I have always said IF he passes health testing. I know that things arise and he may not. Also, he may never be bred because I decide not too. BUT I'm not irresponsible with him as there are many LOOSE intact females around and he has NEVER gotten loose to get to one and he NEVER will. I personally am not running...just not posting about my other dog here anymore. Feelings get really hurt when people start bashing other's dogs. I have worked my ass off with this dog to get him and to train him to the point of being ready for a BH. It hurts when people bash him! Just saying.

I feel that when you buy a breeding quality dog, they are breed worthy until health testing proves otherwise. They are NOT breedable until they have all their health testing and titles done but they are breed worthy in my eyes.

Courtney

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:42 pm

If they are not breedable, then they are not breed worthy. Just because it's a potential breed/show quality dog, does not mean that it actually IS. It has to be tested and proven before it is breed worthy.

Until then, it is only a potential prospect, not an actual one.

Breed worthy means that you can take that dog in this exact moment and breed iti responsibly and ethically.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:12 am

Red Chrome wrote:
bahamutt99 wrote:At the risk of offending anyone, I've got 16-month-olds and I don't know how anyone can determine a dog breedworthy at that age. I've got my hopes and dreams, but to say for certain that anybody WILL be bred is premature. If your convictions are strong and your reasons are sound, nobody will make you run away from anything. If you choose to run, choose to continue running.

This is very true but I'm also sick of dealing with having my dog bashed by people on here because I said that he is a breeding prospect and IF he passes all health testing and titles in the sport that we are doing then he will be bred.

Honestly, I didn't see anyone bashing your dog. Some people felt that it might not be a good idea to breed him if the OFA rating came back as less than "Good", but nobody here is an OFA radiologist, so nobody can say for sure what his rating might be. At any rate, that doesn't constitute "bashing", it's just a person's opinion of what is a responsible choice in breeding. Not everyone has to agree on every particular.

It's good that you've spent time working with your dog, but a lot of people spend time working with and titling dogs with no intention of breeding them. My oldest SBT, Elmo, has an extensive list of titles, including a UD, which cost me a lot of money and time to get, and he's been neutered as long as I've owned him. If he hadn't been neutered, I still would not have bred him, because he isn't of breeding quality. That's not a bash, he is a fantastic dog, but he's not breeding quality.

My Tully was never going to be bred, I got her and titled her for fun. The breeder told me she might be nice enough to show, so I tried it, and Tully was not very successful. (never got an AKC point) No big deal, no "bash" on my dog, the breeder isn't clairovoyant and didn't know exactly how the pup would turn out. We agreed that she might be worth breeding for other reasons, but if we hadn't, she'd still be the same great dog, and the work I put into her had nothing to do with proving her "breed worthy".

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:13 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:If they are not breedable, then they are not breed worthy. Just because it's a potential breed/show quality dog, does not mean that it actually IS. It has to be tested and proven before it is breed worthy.

Until then, it is only a potential prospect, not an actual one.

Breed worthy means that you can take that dog in this exact moment and breed iti responsibly and ethically.

That's where wording comes into play. I have the same ideals as you about breeding BUT I consider my dog breed worthy but not breedable until he passes all health testing and titles. I think that all breed/show prospects are breed worthy BUT not breedable until health testing and titling is done.

I guess my beef is with the word worthy.....it makes it sound as if the dog is not worthy of anything. I do take it personally when soemone says that my dog is not worthy of something. Especially when the same breeding practices are being said by both parties. The jabs about me being responsible with an intact dog doesn't help things any. Maybe I'm takign things too personally but there ahve been too many insinuations made.

Courtney

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:53 pm

msvette2u wrote:I haven't gotten it yet :crybaby:

My fault for switching subjects and speaking cryptically... first i was joking about what you would buy with your billionaire status and hoping i could come along for the ride ;)

Then, Kadillac and I are helping at a BR shots fair event this Sunday in K's hometown of Vallejo. The goal of the fair is to offer free vaccinations to folks who can't afford it as well and s/n vouchers. This event will be for pit bulls only.

There will be a ton of folks attending, as K alluded to, who make their living off "stupid money" (aka. pit bull litters) so our job will be to try and talk them into getting their dogs fixed. Of course, when you're talking to folks who *never even consider* neutering as an option, let alone health testing or advancing the breed, it's hard to educate while not coming off as preachy, so my goal will simply be to show some cleavage (which I don't really have so thank you, Wonder bra) and talk about how dog balls gross me out. lol

There will be drinks afterward, right K? roflmao

retro
Adolescent Bully

Postby retro » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:22 pm

as i read through this thread, it occurred to me that if several of the posters replaced the various terminology for sex organs with the various terminology for pitbull, they would virtually replicate all the arguments and schools of thought for BSL/pitbull bans.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Red Chrome wrote:

I have always said IF he passes health testing. I know that things arise and he may not. Also, he may never be bred because I decide not too. BUT I'm not irresponsible with him as there are many LOOSE intact females around and he has NEVER gotten loose to get to one and he NEVER will. I personally am not running...just not posting about my other dog here anymore. Feelings get really hurt when people start bashing other's dogs. I have worked my ass off with this dog to get him and to train him to the point of being ready for a BH. It hurts when people bash him! Just saying.

I feel that when you buy a breeding quality dog, they are breed worthy until health testing proves otherwise. They are NOT breedable until they have all their health testing and titles done but they are breed worthy in my eyes.

Courtney

After BEGGING for that other thread to be locked, WHY would you drag it over here to THIS thread??? :huh?:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:30 pm

retro wrote:as i read through this thread, it occurred to me that if several of the posters replaced the various terminology for sex organs with the various terminology for pitbull, they would virtually replicate all the arguments and schools of thought for BSL/pitbull bans.

Hardly legit argument. Since sex organs have gotten the breed where it is today, and BSL is where it is today - LACK of sex organs may actually FIX the problem at some point (we can only hope and pray).

retro
Adolescent Bully

Postby retro » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:38 pm

please, justify that sweeping statement.

i mean, in a literal sense, yes, without sex organs we wouldn't have any dogs at all, let alone pitbulls, but i doubt that's where you were attempting to go with your thoughts....

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Sex organs don't attack people. I've never heard of a dog strangling someone with it's nuts. By that logic, if we're going to surgically alter to fix the breed, why not pull fangs? Or better yet, surgically remove bad owners? I guess that'd be too much like right.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:59 pm

msvette2u wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:

Courtney

After BEGGING for that other thread to be locked, WHY would you drag it over here to THIS thread??? :huh?:

Courtney, you and I have always gotten along and I think highly of you girl but I gotta agree with Yvette.

Are you breeding Judge today? I doubt it so for the time being enjoy what you are doing with him (which is awesome btw).

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:00 pm

msvette2u wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:

Courtney

Courtney, you and I have always gotten along and I think highly of you girl but I gotta agree with Yvette.

Are you breeding Judge today? I doubt it so for the time being enjoy what you are doing with him (which is awesome btw).

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:18 pm

I've had 2 experiences w/pyo.
1 was w/my female apbt Phoenixx when she was 6-7. She was moderately ill. I was working, had my ex bring her into the vet, and called the vet myself and spoke w/the receptionist to make sure her symptoms, which included vaginal discharge was told to the vet. I get home from work, she was on antibiotics, she still looked like she felt horrible. I called the vet as he closed, neither my ex or the receptionist told him about the discharge, she had pyo and was spayed that night. She recovered well.
The second was a female ab belonging to my exe's partner. She was shipped to Alaska to be bred. Apparently while tied, she went after the male. The man doing the breeding freaked out, and when he broke up the fight, he ripped the males penis out of her while they were still tied. She developed pyo about a month later. She was treated w/out spaying, and recovered fully.

Return to “Health Issues”