Another Dog Food Thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:35 pm

I was feeding my dog Canidae til they change the formula due to loose stool, change to Merrick (turducken) still in the process of transitioning though but, so far so good. Dang, h3ll of an expensive kibble....

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:51 pm

We got off the Canidae and onto Nature's Variety. But with where we had to buy it, we couldn't really afford to stick with it. So now we're on Taste of the Wild since the husband can get a discount on it. You've got some good picks on your short list. Good luck in your food quest. :)

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:09 am

I would check out Natural Balance A.M.P. (active formula). It's 27% protein and almost as many calories/cup as Canidae.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:07 am

Ok, cool...thanks guys!!

I hear "raw meaty bone" alot...what specifically are these... and bone marrow...when I go to the store, do I just look for something that says bone marrow in the meath section...I no nothing about raw....but I cant just do raw as treats a few times a week like Starr said...I have heard alot about liver and freezing it...is there a specific liver I would get?

Thanks again!

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:09 am

jlphilli wrote:I would check out Natural Balance A.M.P. (active formula). It's 27% protein and almost as many calories/cup as Canidae.

He isnt all that active...just walks and flirtpole...would you still recommend the AMP formula?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 am

Raw meaty bones are basically just bones.
I find beef marrow bones in the meat section at my grocery store, they also had ox tails.
You can go to a butcher and ask for bones, beef, chicken backs or necks, pork etc. Just make sure they are not cooked, you can freeze them that is fine.
Liver, you can pretty much use any, I think beef liver is probably the easiest to get.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:49 am

What about the so called splinter issue?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Splintering of bones generally happens after they are cooked, I would definantly not recommend feeding cooked bones. Raw bones should be fine, if you have a big dog I would stick to bigger sized bones so they cant swallow them.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 am

Ok, we have started transitioning Sonny to Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato...we will see how it works...and man was his gas stinky last night!!

MissLelee
Newborn Bully

Postby MissLelee » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:19 pm

SonnysMomma wrote:Ok, we have started transitioning Sonny to Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato...we will see how it works...and man was his gas stinky last night!!

roflmao @ Sonny's gas... I was just on Petco.com looking to see where/cost of Natural Balance... The price is great and Petco is so close to my home and job... I am definitely interested in how Sonny take's to this kibble... My Jigga currently has red paws and I believe he has some type of allergy to Fromm Surf&Turf Grain Free and I hate it because I was impressed by the ingredients...

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... oduct/1734

but oh well all dogs are different... please keep us posted on how this works out because one this bag of kibble is finished we need to try something else

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Rex is on NV venison...I had him on the duck and potatoe but his poops were a little less then firm. With the venison he is doing very well. Rex is about 70 pounds and I only feed 2 cups a day and he is at a great weight.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:24 pm

SonnysMomma wrote:Ok, we have started transitioning Sonny to Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato...we will see how it works...and man was his gas stinky last night!!

Try adding some plain yogurt to food.

PBlover4LIFE
Newborn Bully

Postby PBlover4LIFE » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:39 pm

Cookie is allergic to Nutro. So thumbs down for them.

Return to “Health Issues”