New Poll for Canidae Feeders, past and present

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Do you still feed Canidae?

Yes, my dogs never had a problem with the new Canidae
17%
Yes, it took a period of adjustment, but we still feed Canidae
6%
Unsure, I have tried the new formula, but may still switch
8%
No, my dogs had problems with the new Canidae so I switched
33%
No, I switched my dogs off Canidae when I heard about the change
8%
I never fed Canidae, just wanted to be seen in this thread
14%
Other (please specify in a post)
14%

Total votes: 36

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

New Poll for Canidae Feeders, past and present

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Back in July, I ran a poll to see how many planned to keep feeding Canidae after the ingredient change. Most seemed to be in favor of waiting to see what happened, or continuing to feed Canidae. I'm curious to see how things have changed in 3 months now that the new formula is on the store shelves. How many of you happily stuck with it, and how many moved on to greener pastures>

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:04 pm

For my answer, my dogs never adjusted -- digestively speaking -- to the new Canidae, so I switched to Nature's Variety. Now feeding Taste of the Wild because it's a bit easier on the wallet and they seem to do well on it.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Duh. Triple post. But here's the link to the past poll.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm not sure if we are on an old bag or new, but I have a full bag 44 pounder of the new formula so we shall see how it goes, took Jersey quite a while to transition onto Canidae off the Pedigree she was fed pre my owning her but once she adjusted she has done fine, hoping the new formula agrees with her but have been researching other brands just in case. I do all my ordering online so cost is a big factor.

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 pm

the original als formula gave us no issues. healthy skin, coats and happy dogs. i sang the praisies of this food to whomever would listen.

the new formula for us meant a good 2 months of alternating soft serve, full fledged diarrhea and frequent episodes of farting, burping and spit up.
add in non stop scratching, gunky ears and anal gland issues.

my female has a sensitive stomach but the male does not and he was even worse off than the female. the cat used to break into the bag of original canidae would not go near the new formula. the raccoons outside would not touch it either.

i switched both dogs to evo after a 24 hour fast and they are doing great on

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Lindsay, I am thinking of switching to Taste of the Wild as well. I am surprised the price isn't more.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Denise, my dogs are doing well on it. Their poo is a little lighter, but not even a problem. Still nice and firm for the most part. And everything else is good, too. We've only been feeding it for maybe a week, maybe a little more, but so far so good.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:39 pm

I used to feed Canidae and all four of my dogs did very well on it. I was put off a little by the change in formula, but mostly the fact that they had made the bags smaller and more expensive. This was the reason I made the change without trying the new food.
My sisters were both feeding their dogs Canidae and kept feeding through the change. One set of dogs did fine, not problems past minor soft stools. The other pair of dogs have had a horrible time making the switch and will be put on a new food soon.
Did that make sense? I'm tired and sick and my brain isn't working right.
;)

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:30 pm

My two just couldn't adjust and had the splarts for almost 2 weeks...we switched. I was planning on staying with Canidae, though.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:49 pm

I switched. I was only feeding Gypsy the Canidae when they switched the formula, and she didn't adjust to it. Her poops were almost grainy, like there was something in the food that she couldn't digest.

Now all three of my dogs are on Diamond Naturals, and they are doing great on it.

Libby

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:28 am

Other

My dogs had no problems on the new formula, but I switched them off of it when I found out what donkey the company had become. I didn't want to give my money to a shady company.

-Making the bag smaller and raising the price
-Not telling the consumers about the change
-Being VERY rude to the consumers who's dogs had become ill from eating the new formula and called asking for help/answers
-Selling to Diamond(not an donkey move, but I don't care for the brand)

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:20 am

Good answers everyone. If the results bear repeating, might be something I can forward to Canidae just to let them know how they're doing.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:43 am

My girls had softer poo for about a week, but were otherwise ok with the change (they've been on the new stuff for around a month).

Sucks that it's pricier though...

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:52 am

i haven't tried the new formula yet. i got distracted by totw because it's lower cal and luce was on crate rest. they like it and i like that it's grain free but not extremely high protein and it's not tremendously expensive, so i bought them another bag.

kailey lane
Newborn Bully

Postby kailey lane » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:19 pm

i just today switched to canidae,my dogs love it but i guess well see if they can handle it.why was it so cheap?? it was only 40$ for 44lbs? i love the price compared to 30lbs of wellness for 50$ my dogs lost interest in wellness for puppy and since i just found out my dog isnt 8 months old she is 18months old i thought id give it a try.

Return to “Health Issues”