Who's Had Hives?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Who's Had Hives?

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:58 pm

How many of you have or have had a pit bull or any dog for that matter who has broken out in these hives?

They look like mosquito bites all down the back and neck, sometimes on the legs.

This is a picture of Veronica's hives. She's on PBF member's dog.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Dozer has this problem at least once a week. He's on Benadryl now, but the entire summer he had to be on a low dosage of prednizone (sp) to help keep them under control.

Keeping him dopey on Benadryl makes me feel like he just isn't the same happy go lucky guy. However, he's not itchy either. =[

At the time being, I cant afford the allergy testing or dermatologist. It seems like its definately not a food allergy , but an outside allergy, b/c its seasonal.

He has Benadryl and I wipe him down with baby wipes every time he comes in from outside. To me, getting some of the pollen or w/e off from outside seems to help.

It's crummy, be he will always be my allergy child lol :inlove:
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:09 pm

i thought he had hives.. but it turned out to be a skin infection

then they'd scab up, and leave bald spots

he was was on some antibiotics and he got all better ! :)

eeek. those hives look terrible!
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Were they visible all of the time, b/c we only see DOzer's when he comes inside from running or rolling.. ?
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Brodix has had very,very similar problems for a couple of weeks too. He to was on a antibiotic and they went completely away. But now its back, and his ears are also looking rough. Its driving me crazy, b/c we have changed absolutely nothing. benadryl helps with his itching, but does nothing for the "bumps". We cant afford the testing either which is really bothering me. I'm hoping its something blooming or something in th yard that is going to go away. If anyone figures this out, please share......
Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby PBlover4LIFE » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Cookie had the hives this past two weeks. Well actually it started very mildly about 2 mos ago. I brought her to the vet and he said it was ant bites.
It got worse so I brought her to the vet and he said bacterial.
Then it got even worse. So I brought her back and he said it was ringworm. I knew it had to be allergies. She is pampered and stays indoors.
No one else had any probs. :po:
Well I stopped feeding her nutro and she is doing 100% better. I gave her benedryl. But I was about to bring her to the vet again to req prednisone. I heard that works well.
Now I am just feeding her pedigree. (After all the vet visits, that's all I could afford) She's doing great on it now. So I am thinking about going back to Science Diet. That's what she was on originally b4 all the probs.
PBlover4LIFE
Newborn Bully

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:09 am

Hives from apparently eating a wasp. She was treated with steroids and they eventually went away.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:14 am

Khan broke out in hives once this summer. I had him laying in the grass in a field. We got home and he had hives everywhere. They looked just like the first picture. I had him on benadryl every 6 hours for a few days. They started to clear up pretty quickly,but it to a few days to be completely gone.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:52 am

Anyone by chance notice that this season was worse than last?

I'm the proud owner of the hives the OP posted lol . Last year, Veronica was 1 and it was OK...she had some hives, got some prednisone, took some antibiotics...but it was not constant. I was thinking it was seasonal, and did not want to do the allergy shots which are year round because I've generally come to believe that "less is best" when it comes to medicine.

Then comes this year. The vet I have loved for almost 20 years kept sticking her with steroid injections and giving her prednisone. Unacceptable. Tried a new vet...a large practice...which I have always not liked because I felt it was impersonal (well actually they do a very good job) but Veronica saw 3 vets (3 different opinions) and no satisfactory results. This year she has been on antibiotics since July 27th (allergic reaction turning into bacterial infection), with a little prednisone mixed in. She's still on antibiotics.

I had no choice but to go to the dermatologist. I heard people say "allergies get worse as the dog gets older" and thought to myself "Holy crap...worse than this and she'll have symptoms year round". :frown: I did find, as Tia said; wiping down after outside play helped last year (this year, no; but then again even benadryl wasn't all that helpful this year, without the other stuff added in.)

So as it stands she is on an antibiotic now (still) - a different one from the dermatologist; with 3 more weeks to go. Her hives are almost completely gone, she looks better than she has all summer. (the dermatologist also gave us medicated shampoo, earwash and ear meds as she had gotten a yeast infection in 1 ear and spray for her butt as she had a yeasty hotspot under her tail) She's still itchy as she licks her paws and nibbles her side/butt...but she can't take anytrhing for that as it would mess with her allergy testing scheduled for 11/13. I really don't want to do it, as they will sedate her and I hate that...but I don't feel I have a choice. I really don't think either of us want to live through aother summer like this one. :frown:
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby SonnysMomma » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 am

I dont mean to hijack, but I am curious, is the allergies and skin issues common in ABPT's, or is this non-discriminatory to breeds?

I didnt realize until I became a member the skin issues that they have and allergies and until I got Sonny, lol!
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby Roxers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:48 am

Well, lots of dogs have allergies. Not sure if it is more common in APBT than the average of other dogs or not.
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby 757 bully » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:56 pm

every couple days riddick will get 1 maybe 2 bumps in random spots on his back like that, then it will go away...it like pushes his hair up a bit and i can feel a bump bt not see any bite. does nebody know what that is, bc it definetly isnt all over his back. sorry to the OP but it is sort of similar
757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby tia_leigha » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Hey dont apologize, any skin welps are in question IMO :thumbsup:
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby Razors_Diesel » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 pm

i just did a thread about this about a week ago.. diesel had them for about 3 weeks and hes got about 5-10 left . if spread from the middle of his back them dissapeard to his side and now theres only a few left on his right side

at its worst!!

what it looks like as of today
Razors_Diesel
Matured Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:35 pm

My bully got the hives once. They started off around her sides and eventually covered her whole body. By the time we got her to the vet she was having a hard time breathing. I don't have any pics since it happened so quick my neighbors boxer had the same thing happened and she gave it benadryll and it cleared up.
SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues