Timberwolf Price Increase?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:15 am

Pete, that is highway robbery!

You can find a MUCH better alternative for a lot cheaper!

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:50 am

Yah I know. I have narrowed it down to Taste of the Wild I think. I am gonna start the transition once this TW bag is half gone.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:08 am

I won't recommend Taste of the Wild, it's ingredients are 30% potato which is too much starch. Potato is not very good for dogs.

Innova Regular or Nature's Variety are better foods for similar cost. Another good kibble is Dog Lovers Gold.

Speaking of costs, I looked at the TW web site and it sounds like your retailer is adding about $10 extra to the food.

http://timberwolforganics.com/News-and- ... 8Ta38Mbxr0

The 33 pound bags on the site were from $68.99 to $76.99, not $85.00 a bag. But I agree, that is a steep price when it used to be $55 for a bag just a few months ago.

jlphilli wrote:......Timberwolf won't even disclose where there's is made!!

As to where Timberwolf is manufactured, they plainly state on the same page above that they have their foods made by CJ Foods in Nebraska and Kansas. Here is the link for that maker:

http://www.extrudedpetfood.com/page.php

I am feeding more raw myself due to the changes in commercial dog foods. One can feed raw pretty cheaply if you work at it and find some sources for cheap meats.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:11 am

My allergy dog (confirmed allergies to beef) eats Natural Balance Duck and Potato. With its protein level, I'd be willing to bet its just as high, if not higher in potato and my dog looks and feels fantastic.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 pm

turtle wrote:I won't recommend Taste of the Wild, it's ingredients are 30% potato which is too much starch. Potato is not very good for dogs.

How did you come up with 30% tater?
If you add all of the analysis together you do have 30% left over, but I highly doubt all of that is potato.

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:56 pm

If you add tax to the price of TW, you are right around $85.

I am still going back and forth with 3 diff foods. I have a few weeks to decide.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:59 pm

starrlamia wrote:
turtle wrote:I won't recommend Taste of the Wild, it's ingredients are 30% potato which is too much starch. Potato is not very good for dogs.

How did you come up with 30% tater?
If you add all of the analysis together you do have 30% left over, but I highly doubt all of that is potato.

Good question. I would like to know as well.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:34 pm

1.) How did you figure 30% potato?

2.) Potatoes ARE good for dogs and a very digestible source of carbohydrates---way more digestible than the carbohydrate sources in most foods. I'd be interested to see where you are getting your information from....

And regarding Timberwolf disclosing their manufacturing--I wasn't aware they finally told people, but from all of the crap they have done over the years....that doesn't even make up for 1/4 of it.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 pm

jlphilli wrote:

1.) How did you figure 30% potato?

2.) Potatoes ARE good for dogs and a very digestible source of carbohydrates---way more digestible than the carbohydrate sources in most foods. I'd be interested to see where you are getting your information from....

And regarding Timberwolf disclosing their manufacturing--I wasn't aware they finally told people, but from all of the crap they have done over the years....that doesn't even make up for 1/4 of it.

LOL, I found the info about Taste of the Wild being 30% potato right here on this forum!

I do not have the time to go look, so all you with nothing to do can hop on it. The info was right from the company themselves...

And dogs are predators, they do not need a bunch of carbs in their diet. Carbs are added to bind the kibble together, and potato is used instead of rice, etc, so the companies can tout the food as "grain free"... it's a marketing gimmick...

Nah, I am not interested in feeding a bunch of potato to my dog, and certainly not at the price of those premium kibbles.

jlphilli, I am well aware you detest the Timberwolf food, you have certainly made that clear for the past year!

It is called "freedom of choice", you all can feed what you want, and so can I... but I'm not feedin' a food with 1/3 potato in it.

I have fed Timberwolf for 4 yrs in rotation with raw and a few others, hence I mentioned Innova, Nature's Variety, and Dog Lovers Gold.

Plus do not forget that Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond which has had more recalls of pet food than any other company...

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Well, what formula of Timberwolf do you feed? Most of their formulas have more than 30% carbohydrate value themselves....Timberwolf's Wild and Natural dry (which is their highest protein/grain free food) is the lowest amount of carbs at 27%, which is only 3% less than TOTW.....

Other foods you mentioned you fed:

-Innova (regular) has 45.4% carbohydrates (on their site under nutrient analysis)
-Natures Variety Regular has 46.6% carbohydrates
-Dog lovers Gold has 37% carbohydrates

Sooo I guess I'm not seeing your objection to TOTW?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 pm

jlphilli wrote:Well, what formula of Timberwolf do you feed? Most of their formulas have more than 30% carbohydrate value themselves....Timberwolf's Wild and Natural dry (which is their highest protein/grain free food) is the lowest amount of carbs at 27%, which is only 3% less than TOTW.....

Other foods you mentioned you fed:

-Innova (regular) has 45.4% carbohydrates (on their site under nutrient analysis)
-Natures Variety Regular has 46.6% carbohydrates
-Dog lovers Gold has 37% carbohydrates

Sooo I guess I'm not seeing your objection to TOTW?

x2

I didnt realize regular innova has so much carbs wow!

Wether your food has potato or rice or barley its all the same thing, carbs. It's up to you what carb you want in your food... But a carb is a carb is a carb and the analysis on the food is what you should be looking at... Take orijen for example.. has potato in it.. but it only has 18% carbs.

In any case I dont have the patience to sift through threads to find where it was posted that TOTW has 30% carbs.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:15 pm

For what it's worth, we're on our 2nd bag of Taste of the Wild (after leaving Canidae and giving up on Nature's Variety because it was too expensive), and no issues to speak of. We like it a lot. The humans and the dogs.

Shaysmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Shaysmom » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:10 am

Natural Balance duck and potato is awesome, and in my opinion, worth a shot. Shay does great on it...beautiful coat, good energy and shes eats it up in a flash! with a touch of olive oil of course hehe its her favorite!

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:36 pm

that is ridiculous and unreasonable. you can find something better for less money.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:41 pm

high protein foods are just not good for growing puppies due to the higher calcium/phospherous ratio.. other wise its great for adult dogs..

Return to “Health Issues”