beefing ur pit up~

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

beefing ur pit up~

Postby babosupaman » Sat May 01, 2004 3:46 pm

i was wondering what u guys/gals feed to beef up ur pit....
i was feeding him the regular grocery brands but i recently changed to "nutro natural choice high endurance." mainly cause it had the most protein count than the other brands. and i heard nutro is a good brand too. he gets alot of exercise and running outside....he's basically the dog being chased by all the dogs, so he's running all the time.
i hear boiled eggs have high protein, and it'll beef them up. i just heard that so i'm not sure.
i would love some feed back....
thanks
babosupaman

Postby moto1320 » Sat May 01, 2004 5:50 pm

Nutro isn't bad, it's what I used to feed my dogs. But for the price you could feed one of the high end brands that many here use. They have more and higher quality of protien. In addition to the digestive enzymes added in for better absorbtion, Omegas, etc.

I feed Innova. Canidae, Wellness, and Solid Gold are great too. Thankfully the Pet store down Atlanta Hwy beside Ingles and the Honda dealership, started carrying all of the good foods pretty recently. They cost a little more but you also feed 1/2 the amount as Nutro because of the protein content so it comes out cheaper for the good stuff. :thumbsup:

Walk em aboout 4 or 5 miles a day on a good diet like this and they will start putting on muscle nicely. If they already play alot that's good exercise. I let mine play on the springpole too.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby babosupaman » Sat May 01, 2004 6:58 pm

yeah...
i just went by there today to get the nutro food...
i'm just trying out better brand right now instead of the grocery brand...
so i guess after the nutro i'll try the wellness...seems like he likes the nutro food alot better than the purina stuff....

do u go to any of the parks in athens???
i live off of cedars shoals...and theres a dog park right by the walmart on lexington and it's all fenced up and has a drinking fountain for the dogs...it's a good place to train ur dogs and stuff....

i met heather one day during the international festival in downtown...
and i'm always chillin downtown with tyson..trying to get him used to loud atmosphere and people walking by...he just has a hard time paying attention to me when he sees other dogs or sees a little sparrows hopping around....
i'm actually heading out to starbucks with my doggy and get some reading/studying done....
babosupaman

Postby moto1320 » Sat May 01, 2004 10:12 pm

We'll have to catch up sometime. I don't go to dog parks, as they are bad news in general (mine have this nasty habit of defending themselves from agresive mutts :roll: ), and we have the breed ban posed here...so I don't need anymore trouble. There is that other private park where you pay a buck and get your own fenced in area too. I think Heather is a member. We go on lots of long walks through the Boulevard area. Heather finally came over the other day and the beasts got along great. We could all go together. :thumbsup:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby babosupaman » Sat May 01, 2004 10:43 pm

dat'll be great~
u mean Sandy Creek Park???
i remember hearing that when i went there last time...like a dollar an hour or something....i didn't know u can be a member...dats a good idea...cause people do get very nervous when their dogs are playing with a pit....better to be safe then sorry, yah know~
yeah....i'm sure tyson will do great~
i just got him a prong collar which has helped his pulling when he sees another dog and birds downtown~
but he does well when it's just me and him
:roll:
babosupaman

Re: beefing ur pit up~

Postby jmann4 » Mon May 03, 2004 9:40 am

babosupaman wrote:i was wondering what u guys/gals feed to beef up ur pit....
i was feeding him the regular grocery brands but i recently changed to "nutro natural choice high endurance." mainly cause it had the most protein count than the other brands. and i heard nutro is a good brand too. he gets alot of exercise and running outside....he's basically the dog being chased by all the dogs, so he's running all the time.
i hear boiled eggs have high protein, and it'll beef them up. i just heard that so i'm not sure.
i would love some feed back....
thanks

How old is your dog? And is it involved in a performance sport? Or does your dog just get a lot of exercise by playing in the yard or at the park? What is your dogs weight?
jmann4

Postby abman » Mon May 03, 2004 12:22 pm

I use nutro high energy sometimes and have had good results with it. Actually its the only nutro formula that I will buy.Although its not a good food for a house dog as they will get fat really quick.You also want to rotate to a lower protein and fat food once in a while just to give them a rest.Nutro is a good food if you add a few things to it. Adding some occasional meat can be helpful. My dogs are bigger than most pitbulls since I have ab's. Walking a few miles a day is really good for the dogs. It will help to keep the fat off and add the muscle. If you feed boiled eggs(dont feed too many) make sure they get the yolk too. If a dog eats alot of egg whites it can zap biotin out of their bodies but the yolk makes up for that.

Another thing to remember is to feed according to what you are trying to accomplish. If you want a great coat, feed the coat with things like chicken fat,skin,etc. If you want better and stronger muscles then feed the muscles with meat and protein. If the dog gets a good amount of exercise you should be good to go.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby babosupaman » Tue May 04, 2004 7:33 pm

yeah.....
my dog is about 11 months...almost a year...not really sure about dats a good estimate...10-12 months....
i haven't weighted him recently but he's about 50-55 lbs. he's pretty much seems like he's done growing, but now he's seeming to get a little thicker... he gets alot of exercise. i don't use any weights or anything yet for him...i'll probably start doing that around when he gets to 16-18 months old...don't wanna stunt his potential growth~
i wanna get him into weight pulling, but i haven't heard of any around here. i think it'll be fun for him cause he loves to pull, and i think it'll be fun for both us. nothing out of competition, just for fun~ :)

we play fetch, and he's always running around with my friends dog trying to catch the dog with the stick. i walk him every other day, mainly cause i want him to get used to walking beside while on a leash...and the prong collars does the job...
well, hit me back up....
btw...thanks for the replies!!!
:headbang: :headbang:
babosupaman

Postby HugABull1 » Wed May 05, 2004 8:49 am

Hey babo', I was just noticing your avatar, and your boy looks a lot like mine! (except my guy has big ol' hound-dog ears lol). Same age and size too!
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby jmann4 » Wed May 05, 2004 9:20 am

babosupaman wrote:yeah.....
my dog is about 11 months...almost a year...not really sure about dats a good estimate...10-12 months...

From what you decribe you might want to switch to a food with around 15-18% protein. I wouldn't go over that.

A performance dog, say a greyhound will eat 22 to 25 % protein in their diets and these are highly active dogs.

You can start your dog in weight pull training right now. Use 3-5 lbs and have them walk with their harness and the weight attached. Work out their diet with their exercise.

I would wait until they are 14-16 months old to have them do any real pulling.

To get the best performance from your dog in weight pull, you should train just like you were doing a weight pull. Once his muscles are built up, and his diet is enough for his activity level hold your own personal weight pull competions using light weights. This will build his performance in this sport faster and you'll have a more reliable dog.
jmann4

Postby babosupaman » Wed May 05, 2004 6:35 pm

Hey babo', I was just noticing your avatar, and your boy looks a lot like mine! (except my guy has big ol' hound-dog ears ). Same age and size too!

yeah...i was looking at that...they do look really similar~
is ur's 100% pit? i adopted tyson at the animal shelter and they said pit mix, but i can't find what the other mix would be...

thanks jmann for the information....
after he gets done with the nutro...imma change it up~
where can i find a good pulling harness online?
would i just tie a tire up to it? or put some 3 lbs weights on it?
babosupaman

Return to Health Issues