Puppy Chow

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bluepit26753
Newborn Bully

Puppy Chow

Postby bluepit26753 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:35 pm

i was just wondering when most of you guys were weening your pups off of puppy chow and on to a different dry food?

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:25 pm

I hear its best around 1 year or so. Since I'm feeding a all life stages kibble I don't think I'm gonna have to worry about that.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:38 pm

The bigger the dog, the longer you should wait. They should have completed 80% or more of their growth before starting an adult food.

Generally 10-12 months is a good time for the average dog. Giant breeds like mastiffs and danes should eat puppy food (large breed) for 18-24 months.

bluepit26753
Newborn Bully

Postby bluepit26753 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:51 am

thanks for the info!!!!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:16 pm

I think we're all assuming that you're not really feeding the brand Puppy Chow, which is really crappy, but that you're feeding a brand of puppy food. If you are actually feeding Puppy Chow, I'm sure the members here can help you find a better quality puppy food for your pup.

bluepit26753
Newborn Bully

Postby bluepit26753 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:19 pm

i am feeding him purina puppy chow, is that what you are talking about?...... if this is a crappy food can someone lead me in the right direction ?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:05 pm

bluepit26753 wrote:i am feeding him purina puppy chow, is that what you are talking about?...... if this is a crappy food can someone lead me in the right direction ?

Costco makes a brand, Kirkland, which is better than puppy chow.
Just about anything is better than Puppy Chow - not Ol' Roy, not Eukanuba or Science Diet either.
Read labels, you want to avoid corn, wheat, soy and "by-products".
I'd rather see a puppy on a good quality adult kibble than Purina Puppy Chow.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:32 am

msvette2u wrote:
bluepit26753 wrote:i am feeding him purina puppy chow, is that what you are talking about?...... if this is a crappy food can someone lead me in the right direction ?

Costco makes a brand, Kirkland, which is better than puppy chow.
Just about anything is better than Puppy Chow - not Ol' Roy, not Eukanuba or Science Diet either.
Read labels, you want to avoid corn, wheat, soy and "by-products".
I'd rather see a puppy on a good quality adult kibble than Purina Puppy Chow.

I disagree... Purina puppy chow is better for puppies than most regular adult kibbles... discluding all-life-stages foods. Puppies need the higher fat, higher protein and higher nutrients of puppy food, and even corn and by-products at appropriate levels provides better nutrient ratios than a food that does not meet the minimum nutrient levels needed for growth.

Purina puppy chow is the off-brand cheap cereal of dog foods... you can do better, but do NOT feed adult food unless it is labeled to be fed to both puppies and adults.

bluepit26753
Newborn Bully

Postby bluepit26753 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:29 am

I disagree... Purina puppy chow is better for puppies than most regular adult kibbles... discluding all-life-stages foods. Puppies need the higher fat, higher protein and higher nutrients of puppy food, and even corn and by-products at appropriate levels provides better nutrient ratios than a food that does not meet the minimum nutrient levels needed for growth.

Purina puppy chow is the off-brand cheap cereal of dog foods... you can do better, but do NOT feed adult food unless it is labeled to be fed to both puppies and adults.

k, this sounds more like and answer id be inclined to listen to, i mean he is a puppy, he needs puppy food, purina puppy chow is better than table scraps or wal mart brand food is the general consensus i guess!!!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 am

You'd still be better upgrading to Purina Pro plan at a minimum... there are lots of other awesome puppy foods if you're willing to do some looking to see what is available in your area.

bluepit26753
Newborn Bully

Postby bluepit26753 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:15 pm

ok, thanks. good info

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:34 pm

There are good all-life formulas available, too. I raised our young dogs on Canidae, back when it was a little better than it is now. No need to transition. Personally, the one time I fed Pro Plan, our dog looked horrible. We kept moving up the food ladder and haven't looked back. If you check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ they've got dog food broken down into an easy rating system of 1-6 stars.

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:26 pm

hey what is your budget...if it high then innova large breed puppy is what i have riddick on (5 months 50 pounds and gorgeous disposition and coat) if its a tight budget...costco's kirkland is wonderfull. if its in between taste of the wild and canidae will do just fine...andything but what u can buy at grocery stores, even the food they sell at vets aren't all that. let me know you budget and ill help you more buddy

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:53 pm

bluepit26753 wrote:

k, this sounds more like and answer id be inclined to listen to, i mean he is a puppy, he needs puppy food, purina puppy chow is better than table scraps or wal mart brand food is the general consensus i guess!!!

Well Purina is of the same quality of Walmarts food and in fact Maxximum from Walmart would be better...

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:37 am

msvette2u wrote:
Well Purina is of the same quality of Walmarts food and in fact Maxximum from Walmart would be better...

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Msvette you know I love you, but on this we will disagree. There are three levels of Purina, and Pro Plan is a large step above the regular Purina. Ingredients are NOT everything, nutrient profiles are just as important, ESPECIALLY when it comes to puppies.

I happen to love pro plan and have fed it and will continue to use it and recommend it. The regular puppy chow is cheap crap... on that we agree.

Return to “Health Issues”