Split Dew Claw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Split Dew Claw

Postby darko » Wed May 05, 2004 11:55 pm

I did some searching and on this as i just noticed today that my staff/pit has split her dew claw. Neither top or bottom is torn off and it doesn't seem to bother her one bit, and she is a big suke when it comes to these things. I was alloking at my pit reference book and the coment on split claws was to cut them then soak with warm salty water and then put some blood stopper stuff and bandage it up.

Whats is everyones opinion on this. As of right now I have done a couple boughts wiht the warm salty water but am very hesitant to do any cutting of the nail, it already seems to be on its way to healing and I never notcied any blood. There is the option of going to the vet but they said the normal protocol is to just put her on antibiotics to stop any possible infection. Personally i am thikning to keep cleaning it a couple times per day and a close eye on it, if it starts to bother her, or looks to be not healing properly/infected i was then going to take her to a vet. Also what about continuing to take her out for her normal exersice durring the healing times, or should i back off giving the claw some times to heal as when we are at the dog park she is flying aorund playing with other dogs and running through the wooded areas.

Any help would be great

thanks
darko

Postby valliesong » Thu May 06, 2004 12:32 am

i've never had this happen before, but if you don't notice any blood, i would just clean it out and wrap it with tape. that way it won't get caught on anything and tear further.
valliesong

Postby cntxraider » Thu May 06, 2004 12:45 am

Mine have never had a split dew claw before. Caesar did rip one, however. The claw did not completely come off and ending up having to be surgically removed. Was pretty painful for him. I would recommend the same thing as far as cleaning it out and taping it up if you do not see any blood. If you do decide to cut the claw, make sure that you have a styptic pencil or some Kwik-Stop powder on hand. Jamming the nail into a bar of Ivory soap will also plug it up and stop the bleeding, if there is any.
cntxraider

Re: Split Dew Claw

Postby jmann4 » Thu May 06, 2004 8:36 am

darko wrote:I was looking at my pit reference book and the coment on split claws was to cut them then soak with warm salty water and then put some blood stopper stuff and bandage it up.

My dogs have split just about every nail on their toes. I use stypitic powder, a little cotton swab and let it go. If it's torn right down the middle you might want to put a little wrap on it for a day or two. All my dogs nails healed nicely. Now I keep them cut very short.
jmann4

Return to Health Issues