Hi Everyone -- and a question

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi Everyone -- and a question

Postby Claire » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Hi Everyone,
My name is Liz (my beautiful little pit's name is Claire) and I love this site already! I've seen a lot of great responses to training and health problems!

I've had Claire for just about a year now (she's 3) and she's finally starting to behave like the dog I want her to :) after lots of training! (She was neglected -- 29.5 pounds when they found her, a slim but healthy 51 now -- so it's been a long road! She tends to be fearful of new situations but is getting MUCH better)

We've just started taking an agility class and we both LOVE it!

Onto my question -- Claire is my first pit bull but I have always loved the breed. I plan to get another dog (possibly a puppy but not sure) this summer and I would love to get another pit but I'm a little nervous about having 2 in the same household, especially since they were bred for aggression toward other dogs.

Claire seems to get along very well with other dogs although she has to be the alpha and can play very rough sometimes -- she constantly knocks my friend's shepherd over!

What have your experiences been -- having 2 in the same household? Is it a good idea or preferably avoidable? I would keep them separated when I'm not home.

Also, is there a better place for me to post this question -- I wasn't sure!

Thanks very much!
Liz
Claire

Postby PitBullPride » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:53 pm

:welcome:
PitBullPride

Postby voodoopitbull » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Two dogs can be very stressful. Two pitties is a whole 'nother land of stress! I have three females and one foster male. It's not easy. You must keep them competely seperate when you're gone, when they eat and when they get high-value toys/treats. You must monitor their playtimes constantly. If done responsibly, you'll get twice the lifetime of love. It's hard but the pros outweigh the cons in my book.

Always keep this in the back of your mind: NEVER TRUST A PIT BULL NOT TO FIGHT.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/multi_pits.cfm

If you plan on getting another dog, look into a rescue organization with a submissive adult male. You'll know his temperament and his level of dog-aggression.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
voodoopitbull

Postby whiskeyman » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:34 pm

A lot of us here have multiple dogs and often multiple pitbulls. This is a question tht has been brought up many times and we have all told our stories.

Alot of us have no problem while others have dogs that are very dog aggressive and have to keep thier dogs completely seperated. We all agree that you should always keep your dogs seperated when you aren't there and you can never trust a pitbull not to fight.

When you are granted member status use the search engine and you will find what you are looking for. All the stories have been told, both good and bad.

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby ArmaniPit » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:25 pm

I'm in that excat postion now. My 3 year old was 30# when i adopted her and now she's a thick 60#. We ahve just recently got the lil puppy about a month ago. They play but when there is a sight of aggresion we put them in a quick timeout. You'll love having a puppy and a 3 year old. I love watching them play and cuddle when napping. and now i get twice the loyalty and love then i did before. I would recommend going through with it.
ArmaniPit

Postby pibbles and bits » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:44 pm

just make sure you have the time to give them individual attention, or your older dog will resent the puppy!!!
pibbles and bits

Postby BullyVW » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:10 pm

Even for two of us, it's a lot to take on two "fighting" dogs, and one of mine isn't a pit. They can get out of hand when playing...but you have to come to terms with this. It happens.............

Overall, I think you need to evaluate your lifestyle and your schedule. Your current pup could freak out over the lost attention......just a few things to consider

OH, and welcome.
BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby violet » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:16 pm

welcome and IMO its worth every minute of it to have more than one.
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby jensson » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi there!

Hm not really, it depends!

First of all, where you´ll get your dog from!

Gamebred, Showbred that´s an important factor!

Adult or puppy and the gender!

Best would be a puppy of the opposite sex, simply it would work out better!

In the beginning there can occur jealous behavior of you dog but this will settle down after some days!

Me I always had some Bullterriers, mostly females and they get along well!

So if you aren´t sure if you shall leave them alone together, separate them if you´re not at home!

Some kennel boxes will help!

Not to put the dogs in!

I removed the doors and every dog has its own place where he can rest and do his business and the others aren´t allowed to enter this!

If left alone and placed to various rooms, the dog has a place that he links with good experiences and so it will be much easier for him to be alone for some time!

This worked for me, may it will work for you!

jensson
jensson

Postby Maximus » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:27 pm

Welcome to the forum!

In my household, we have two pit bulls, and we've been fortunate in that they get along wonderfully! We take all of the necessary precautions, though, and we waited until Chico, our first and a male, was a little older and found a compatible adult female. We took things slowly, introducing them with short play visits for a few weeks before we brought her home for a trial weekend. With a pup, there's no guarantee how things will be as he matures.
Maximus

Postby tjbsandy » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:42 pm

:hi
tjbsandy

Return to Introductions