WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DOG..?!?!?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
bterz
Newborn Bully

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DOG..?!?!?

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:00 pm

Ok.. I am sorry for my language as I know this is a family website,...but i am getting fizzle PISSED!!

I dont know what to do!! I am completely stumbled!! It makes no sense.

My new dog Brutus who I recently adopted has had some problems since I adopted him, but none like this!!!!!!!

This is ridiculous.. absolutely ridiculous... And I have no clue where to even begin!!

My dog Brutus loves me. He wont leave my side until I wake up. and most of the time he follows me around the house.

Last night when I arrived home from work, really late, when I got home, my dog started PEEING HIMSELF!! His usual EXCITED HAPPY golucky self started urinating all over the floor (and this isnt the first time this has happened).

Luckily it was on the tile, and not on the carpet.. I tell him NO, BAD. I rub his nose in it and I tell him lets go out back. I walk to my backyard where he completely COWARDS all the way there.. once he gets out back, he starts urinating himself. I dont say bad dog or anything at this point because he is outside and is urinating in the correct place. I try to talk to him and explain what he is doing wrong, but at this point he is just sitting there cowering.

This morning I wake up late, around 10 am. He is ofcourse right next to me. I tell him "Brutus lets go outside, gotta go to the bathroom?" and he SLOWLY follows me down the steps. I can tell he is scared, because he is going very slow. I tell him good boy as he follows me down the stairs and once he gets to the tile he starts pissing himself again. I tell him NO, and I make him go outside again..

He gets outside and cant go to the bathroom. I try to stay out there with him a little bit to see if he has to go, but ultimately he just cowards there and even pisses himself outside a little..

I get super pissed, take another shower because he just pissed all over my fizzle foot...

I get out of the shower and let him back in the house. He cowards. I dont praise him but I dont scold him or anything bad. I can tell he's scared so I try to comfort him a little.

He lays on his bed and wont move, scared, and cowering.

About 10 minutes later I tell him Its ok brutus, try petting his head, but hes still cowering.

I tell him come here Brutus really nicely and he really slowly moaps to where I am.. Starts PISSING HIMSELF ON THE CARPET.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IS IT THE HISTORY OF THE DOG BEFORE I HAD HIM THAT IS MAKING HIM DO THIS?

I fizzle love this dog with all my heart, and I have more sympathy for dogs then I do humans... I just can't figure it out.

My mom always threatens me that the dog is going to have to go if he keeps ruining her house. Although I know she loves the dog too much to get rid of, its really REALLY becoming a huge problem, and I feel awful for her and her house..she works REALLY hard to keep it nice.

----

The dog was rescued @ 10 months. He lived in a cage pretty much his entire life before that (I think) and was going to be trained to fight.
Clipped ears, do-claws, bite marks under his chin, still had his nuts, etc.

Since then I have got him neutered, to get rid of the tiny bit of dog aggression he had. He now loves dogs but cant seem to control himself.

:sad: :frown:

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:10 pm

I am no expert, but first off, dont rub his nose in in.

Just tell him no in a firm voice and go directly outside.

Second, it sounds like he needs to be taken out more often to show that he is supposed to pee outside...and when he does give him a praise party...that way he realizes he is doing something good and will start to associate that.

And something doesnt sound right about him constantly cowering...it could be from his previious owners, but im not sure.

He might be very sensitive to your voice, so you might try not usuing a stern tone.

Sounds like he has some deep issues though...

Maybe try and give him treats when you tell him to come here or what not...

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:17 pm

if he is peeing out of excitement he cant help that. he thinks he is getting punished for greeting you/showing affection. when you come home dont make a big deal out of it. dont greet him or give any eye contact just calmly go in, get his leash and take him out to pee.

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:17 pm

SonnysMomma wrote:He might be very sensitive to your voice, so you might try not usuing a stern tone.

I'm no expert, either, but...

Honestly, he could just be a sensitive dog.

My first boy, John Gotti (ironic, huh), can be quite sensitive and has been known to pee submissively if I take too strong of a tone with him.

So I don't have any real advice on how to handle the situation (someone will), I can say this...

Consider Brutus a mirror...because his reactions probably directly mirrored yours. I know this happens around here. I become frustrated and Gotti reacts the same way Brutus did.

Sounds like a pain, but you can use this to your advantage. You are going to have to remain calm when working with your dog, and luckily or unluckily (however you look at it) your dog is definitely letting you know that you are not calm.

Consider it a reality check...and a great opportunity to take a breath, count to ten, and try again.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Oh boy. First, take a deep breath.

Your dog is trying to tell you something. Peeing is a sign of 1 of 3 things: housetraining issues, anxiety, or a medical condition. I'm betting Brutus might be a combo of the first two. By what you have described, it really sounds like you have conditioned your new pup to fear your return home.

Think of it this way, you are taken to some new and strange culture. You don't understand their rules or language, but everytime these new people come home, they yell at you and rub your head on the floor.You have no idea what you have done wrong to cause this reaction, so you learn that their return home equates to a scary situation, and potentially they are a little nuts and people to be feared (hince the cowering).

Now since you've only had him for just a short while, is it possible he's never been fully housetrained? You need to show him what he should be doing, rather than reprimanding him for something he may not be so ceratin of.

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Well that is exactly how I see it.

This isnt the first time, and he doesnt do it when he gets excited.. He does it when he gets scared but most of the time he has nothing to be scared of.

Yesterday when I came home, I didnt scold him, I didnt do anything except walk through the door. and he tucked his tail inbetween his legs and pissed.

He usually just very excited to see me.

He has been laying in the same position now for almost 30 minutes. Scared, cowering. I tried petting him, I tried feeding him a treat, telling him its ok, asking him to come in an innocent voice..

NOTHING.

The TRUTH is hes NOT properly house trained (as I just made a thread him about hiding his poop in a certain corner of the house, even with the backyard open).

I praise him when he goes outside, but I think the problem is when I take him to get exersize he is usually off the leash. He likes to chase the ball and run around with my other boy Angus.

Im going to start taking him out on a leash and letting him know how good of a boy he is when he goes outside.

I didnt come home mad or anything yesterday, and the way I usually get him to re-gain his composure is by ignoring both dogs when I get home.

I'm not sure. Obviously its gonna take time but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry if im typing all clustered.. my brain is going 100000 mph at the moment.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Submissive urination is not a housebreaking issue. He is peeing because he is scared or he is trying to appease you. You can see this behavior with dogs who are submissive with other dogs too. Punishing a dog for submissive urination will only make it worse.
Since your mother seems seems to be having issues with the pup, I would suggest that you crate or contain him when you are not directly with him to keep him out of trouble.
It's hard, but when you get up or when you get home, be very casual and matter of fact with him. I would clip a lead to his collar and lead him outside where you want him to go. Going outside to potty should be a fun experience for him.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:01 pm

ALL submissive (or excited) urination MUST be ignored or you risk creating a life long problem in the dog.
Trust me - we had a 10yr. old Dachshund we just had to put down due to illness last summer and he carried that problem into his grave, because his owners rubbed his nose in it, I'm sure, and "spanked" or hit him for it.

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/1htsubm.php

Please read thru the links above for more suggestions.

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:29 pm

msvette2u wrote:ALL submissive (or excited) urination MUST be ignored or you risk creating a life long problem in the dog.
Trust me - we had a 10yr. old Dachshund we just had to put down due to illness last summer and he carried that problem into his grave, because his owners rubbed his nose in it, I'm sure, and "spanked" or hit him for it.

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/1htsubm.php

Please read thru the links above for more suggestions.

Thank you so much!!!! :peace:

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:34 pm

Thank you EVERYONE.

And im sorry to hear about your loss msvette :(

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:37 pm

What they've told you. It's submissive urination, and he can't help it. He'll probably grow out of it, but by punishing him for it, you taught him to be afraid of greeting you. So he's horribly conflicted, wanting to greet you because he loves you, but afraid to greet you because for some reason it makes you angry. This makes him ever more likely to submissively urinate.

You don't have to be angry the moment you walk in, he's already seen you get angry at him for being excited to see you (as best as he can interpret it), so he already knows that this could be a scary moment. He's clearly a sensitive boy, and wants very badly to please you.

You must ignore the submissive urination, or it won't go away.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Thank you-- Cherish your pup every day and try to help him through this difficult issue - you'll be a better person and he'll be a better dog for it :)

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Agree with all here.

Try leashing him to go out, then walk him calmly but matter of factly out side.
Do NOT touch or pet if he cowers, dont try to "reassure" him for to touch or pet in a cowering stage actually tells the dog "praise to be afraid."

Scared dogs need STRENGTH not mean or over done, but just calm and precise HERE WE GO Attitude. They will start to look up to you for guidance. by rubbing his nose in it, like Stormi said, confuses him , so as a leader you look out of control, confusing and the dog isnt sure WHAT is expected of him. So this increases his stress level.

Leashing is a great way to guide the dog, use treats if you must at first but work into just you and your praise WHEN he goes as the real treat.

Make yourself worthy of looking up to, make your rules calm , fair and show the dog what you expect.
Repeating the same pattern over and over with positive results usually will start to do the trick.

good luck!

:thumbsup:

Heres some more reading for you to absorb:

Fearful dog
http://whosthedog.net/Blog/Entries/2008 ... l_Dog.html

Submissive Urination
http://whosthedog.net/Blog/Entries/2008 ... ation.html

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:34 pm

MikeZev wrote:if he is peeing out of excitement he cant help that. he thinks he is getting punished for greeting you/showing affection. when you come home dont make a big deal out of it. dont greet him or give any eye contact just calmly go in, get his leash and take him out to pee.

X2 Don't show any emotion either way. We had a schnauzer that did this when you pet him or he was excited. We removed the stimulus and he eventually quit, just be patient it takes time.

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 am

OK.. no good!

Ok there is something else wrong with my dog. It is everything you guys described, plus more.

My dog was OBSESSED with me. He was the most loving dog every. Whenever i would get home he would be excited and happy to see me. I seriously think I did tramatic damage to this dog and I feel guilty as crap!

My dog is absolutely scared of me. I was told not to praise him or pet him or anything when hes cowering so I havn't.... but what am I supposed to do?

Today he finally started to loosen up a bit. He came with me on a car ride and I took him out on a trail. Tail up, my normal dog i'm used to...

Tonight, its like something is wrong with him. He is absolutely scared of me. My dog Angus wont even bother him and they're best friends, they usually have a blast together.

Im confused..I talked to my mom tonight and she told me they have been acting funny during the day. They usually play together and hangout with my mom throughout the day.

BEFORE the incident my mom told me my dogs were acting funny. She said they stayed away from her and were calm all day.

That day my mom told me she had a conference call early in the morning. While I was at school the back date got blown open from the high-winds we've been having.

Usually my dogs will run outside. Brutus (the scared one) tends to stay when the doors open as long as Angus isn't an influence on him to leave (which he is).

My mom told me that day ANGUS was the scared one. If you know Angus, hes ALWAYS a happy dog and full of energy and positive vibes. She said he came into the room, put his head and body under her computer desk and just stayed there (where my moms legs where).

She said he was acting funny but thought it may have been because of the winds howling.

The next day Angus was completely normal again but for some reason Brutus is actually brutally strange. He usually doesnt submissive urinate or even cower. Hes a big ass curious blue-nose.

I think I seriously harmed this dog by rubbing his nose in his submissive urine and getting frustrated. There is NO reason he should have "submissively" urinated when I got home. I think I ruined him by getting mad at him for it because he's been submissively urinating non-stop since. Its not the FIRST time he has submissively urinated, and I've told him to stop and got stern with him before...but none of those times has it ever resulted in something like this.

Return to “Training and Behavior”