Barbponys.....Kato update

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Barbponys.....Kato update

Postby CinderDee » Sat May 08, 2004 1:06 am

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know how Kato's making out with his new food. (venison)

It's been awhile since the last post, but the food took 12 days to get here! It hasn't made much difference in respect to his allergies, but maybe it's too soon to tell?
I don't think the food is agreeing with him because he's really gassy. :roll:
I'm going to wait a few more weeks and if he's no better I'm either going to have him tested for allergies or start him on a raw diet....maybe both.

Just wanted to keep you updated!
Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Food

Postby SKoth » Sat May 08, 2004 6:47 pm

Whenever you switch foods to evaluate allergies you should give it a minimum of 6-8weeks. I know this sounds like a lot but it is the only way to get a true evaluation. My boy is a real itcher but derm caps 2x day and occasional triamicinalone really helps. Good Luck!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby myers » Sat May 08, 2004 7:11 pm

I fed harley venison on 3 seperate occasions. i gave him some while i was eating and he got sick as hell. It didn't have any bad effects on me, actually it was pretty damm good. But he was puking all night and day to the point that he was having dry heaves.

P.S. It isn't pretty when a 90 pound shep pukes everything out of his gut.
myers

Postby CinderDee » Sat May 08, 2004 7:16 pm

Whenever you switch foods to evaluate allergies you should give it a minimum of 6-8weeks. I know this sounds like a lot but it is the only way to get a true evaluation. My boy is a real itcher but derm caps 2x day and occasional triamicinalone really helps. Good Luck!

Thanks so much! I thought it was too soon to tell, but wasn't sure.
What's triamicinalone?
I bought salmon oil for him, but he got diarrhea from it. Maybe I should try the derm caps. (He has a bad stomach, so I have to be careful of everything I feed him)

Myers: Poor Harley! :sad:
I used to have a Pit mix that was 150 pounds and when he got sick....watch out!

Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Sun May 09, 2004 12:23 pm

Hey Dee,
Thanks for the update. I have found depending on the allergy it takes as little as 3 weeks to see a change with food. Sometimes it's a matter of a week.

If salmon oil doesn't agree with him try flax seed oil. It should be refrigerated, it spoils very quickly and can/will cause more digestive trouble.

I feed a lamb/venison based food and haven't had any trouble at all with it. Actually the dogs do better on it than they have any food, other than raw, I have fed in the past. It may be the formulation, Natural Life is ok but not great.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Sun May 09, 2004 10:18 pm

Hey Pat,

Thanks for responding!

I was thinking of trying flaxseed oil. I used to use it on my salads, so Kato and I can share it. :))

I feed a lamb/venison based food and haven't had any trouble at all with it. Actually the dogs do better on it than they have any food, other than raw, I have fed in the past. It may be the formulation, Natural Life is ok but not great.

I was going to order that food, but wanted to try him on something other than lamb. After he finishes this bag I'll order it & see how he does.

As always, I really appreciate your help! :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues