Hot spots?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Hot spots?

Postby hyperbole » Sat May 08, 2004 12:39 pm

Poplin, in the last couple weeks, has appeared to consistently bite his hindquarters in an attempt to scratch an itch of some sort. He's got patches where he's nibbled fur away on his thighs, it's kinda gross!

My fiance said she caught him eating the cat's food a few times and I've heard that can cause dogs to get hot spots. Not sure what else it could be caused by? Not enough oil in his diet perhaps? We could try adding fish or veggie oil to his daily food routine.....He's eating Canidae and 1 raw egg every day, with the occasional raw beef or chicken and cottage cheese or yogurt....and he gets table scraps from time to time.

Anyway, it appears as though he's not itching as much this week as he was before....but still I notice that once in awhile he just goes crazy trying to "scratch that itch"...

Help a brotha out.

Peace.

:cool:
hyperbole

Postby abman » Sat May 08, 2004 1:36 pm

One of the foods that I use is canidae. I also add fish oil at least 3 times a week. My dogs do well with canidae except for the fact that it seems to give them dandruff. The fish oil helps with the coat and they also seem to shed less.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby concreterose » Sat May 08, 2004 5:22 pm

It's allergy season too. He might have allergies. Pookie starts getting hot spots this time of the year after playing in the grass and sniffing flowers on our walks. Try giving him a benedryl.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby CinderDee » Sat May 08, 2004 7:23 pm

I agree with concreterose. I think I have one of the most allergic dogs on the planet and he's really gotten bad in the last couple of weeks.

Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Sun May 09, 2004 12:33 pm

Another thing to consider is fleas. They tend to chew their butts raw and inside their back legs. You may never see a flea on them but if there is an allergy all it takes is one bite and they are off and running. They have been really bad so far this year, my poor pug has had several bouts with bites :crybaby:.

Garlic is a good preventative, treat the house with fleagone, flea away or something like that. It works very well, it isn't fast acting but it does work.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues