Not good news...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Roxers » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 pm

It should definitely be removed. Chemo may follow depending on staging (if there are signs that it has metastasized). Mast cell tumors tend to respond really well to radiation, actually. Chemo or radiation may not be necessary if they can get good margins and it looks like it all was removed, and depending on the follow-up bloodwork. My mom's dog had a mast cell tumor and we removed it and he has been fine for the past 2 years (so far).
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby julie64 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:57 pm

pitgrrl wrote:How big is it?

The lump is about the size of my pinky's fingernail(best thing I could come up with) It's not big at all. The waiting is the hardest part.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Roxers wrote:It should definitely be removed. Chemo may follow depending on staging (if there are signs that it has metastasized). Mast cell tumors tend to respond really well to radiation, actually. Chemo or radiation may not be necessary if they can get good margins and it looks like it all was removed, and depending on the follow-up bloodwork. My mom's dog had a mast cell tumor and we removed it and he has been fine for the past 2 years (so far).

Thanks for that info.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

I would be worried too, so I wont tell you not to worry. So I will send our hugs , slobbering head butting kissies instead and lots of wishes and karma that its just a lumpy bumpy caught in time.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:01 pm

so sorry to hear, thinking of you and Shay.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:06 pm

You and Shay are in my thoughts and prayers.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby ilikelily » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 pm

:hug: I agree, the waiting is tough. I will keep you and Shay in my thoughts.
Max and I send you tons and tons of positive lump karma. :)
ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Beowulf » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Julie, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending positive vibes and healing thoughts to you and Shay. Hang in there girl! :hug:
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:16 pm

Julie - just saw this...Hang in there.
Hugs, prayers and paws crossed
AKA and the zoo
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm

I am so sick of hearing bad news all the tiem, when is it going to let up. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
Praying for Shay here.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:42 pm

:hug:

You guys will be in my thoughts
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby SKoth » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:49 pm

Deedle had a mast cell tumor removed from his flank several years ago. The pathologist didn't recommend chemo and he hasn't had a reoccurance.

Mast cell tumors are fairly common in dogs. The vets I work for remove them quite frequently. I wouldn't be too worried until you get your pathology report back. Hopefully you'll be lucky like most of us and removal with be curative.

Best Wishes,
Sarah
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby tiva » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm sorry to hear it, but chances are very good that your dog will be fine. The vet will most likely remove the tumor, and try to get good clean margins all the way around, then send the tumor off to be graded. If she got clean margins and it's in an early stage, most vets believe that's enough treatment. If she couldn't get good margins, and the tumor is slightly more advanced, then you have a number of options.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that they referred you to an oncologist before doing the surgery to remove the mast cell tumor. Getting a second opinion is never a bad idea, and it can reassure you a lot.

Here's a good overview of mast cell tumors:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 38&aid=461

My elderly Tiva had a mast cell tumor in her tail last spring. The vet removed it, but the pathology report came back at "grade II", so simple removal was not enough. We consulted over the phone with the state vet school's veterinary oncologist, and she strongly recommended amputation over radiation or chemo (the tail location made this an easy choice). So Tiva had her tail amputated, and she recovered extremely quickly (ie, in a day or two, she was raring to go, and in 2 weeks, the incisions were healed up nicely).Almost a year later, she's still completely fine. We watch for new tumors, but so far, so good. This is a very common outcome, so don't panic!

The fact that your dog's tumor is on a leg is good news--mast cell tumors on limbs are much less likely to have spread than those in the core of the body.

Keep us informed, get a second opinion if you want to, and don't panic. Personally, I would see another vet more quickly, since the first line of action for mast cell tumors is remove the tumor, then grading it. Only after surgical removal and grading do you move on to radiation or chemo if necessary. I don't do waiting very well, so I'd just try to see another vet, and schedule the surgery asap.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby julie64 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:16 am

Thanks everyone. Going to another vet is not a option. I have been with my vet for 17 years now. He has never led me wrong yet. The reason I like my vet is because he is straight up with me. I have not put everything on here, part of me hopes it will make the outcome better, I guess.
I did find another lump by Shays shoulder yesterday(small, pimplelike) I was already told that she may have more lumps appear.

Shay and I do appreciate everyone's well wishes.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:19 am

Sending positive healing thoughts to Shay.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues