Future Owner-East Texas Area

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Future Owner-East Texas Area

Postby Billings » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:49 pm

Hey everybody! Great forum, good positive place to get informed about what is a popularly misunderstood topic.

This may seem weird but I have no dog personally. I have however had some "Pit-friends" over the years and now I spend time with and a young bitch named Cabella that is ~14 wks- who I work with as much as I can. She is very beautiful and I fell in love with her the moment I saw her! (If I said that anywhere else I would be afraid people would think I was strange, but here I know it'll be understood)

She is all white, red nose and a chocolate spot on the side of her head. Maybe I'll take some pics and post them later.

I have been lurking here for about a week or two and have started incorporating what I have learned when interacting with Cabell. It has all worked so well! I leash trained her around 11wks and in classic bull style she fought and fought. Then I figured out if I try to fight her she'd only fight more so I tempted her along with some treats and in no time at all we were zinging around the block. Now she tries to walk-me a little at first but I ignore it and go along lke I am in charge and she soon gets in her groove. I did/do the bit from the "Leash Training Lesson" post and it works great (thanks jmann4).

She got the hang of "out"ing or "drop"ing in no time thanks to the post by Diane Jessup in the training section here (and Cabella's great intelligence).
I started clapping twice as she picked up the toy and then later when we were taking a break and I clapped she knew to go over and get the toy and brought it to me.

I have written a lot b/c I am very excited. This info works well. Half of it is mind set and attitude IMHO. Glad to be here. I will most likely lurk unless I just have to brag or post pics. I am waiting a while until I take on my own dog- waiting for a house and yard. I have lived in a apartment with dogs before; it can be done, and if I had the right set up I would go for it. But not now. I will try to adopt when the time comes though.

Thanks everybody!
Billings

Postby PitBullPride » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:52 pm

Welcome!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see pictures!!! Glad you decided to join!
PitBullPride

Postby X-girl » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:57 pm

How nice that you get a chance to spend time with a bully even though you don't have one (yet.) ;)
X-girl
Regulator

Postby Loca » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:59 pm

:welcome:
Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:05 pm

:dance: more members :welcome:
ARIZONA REDNOSE

Postby violet » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:09 pm

violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby Billings » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:44 pm

Wow! Went to make some dinner and got like 5 replies! Thanks for the welcome! :thumbsup:

Also did some reading on the breeding problems with the breed. (too many falling into the wrong hands and later into shelters)

I think my future training will be of the mother of Cabella (who has talked about breeding her later):

"Now what do we say when we call the vet?"

-"I would like to make an appointment to get my dog spayed"

"That's right!"

"Good girl, that's a gooood girl!"
Billings

Postby nessa » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 pm

Whooohoooo! Another Texan! Welcome to the board.
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cinnamonpit123 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:02 am

cinnamonpit123

Postby tjbsandy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:18 am

:welcome: :hi
tjbsandy

Postby Boo439 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:02 am

Welcome to the board!! I am glad to see that you are able to utilize what you have learned here so far. If your friend keeps talking about breeding, this board has a wealth of information on why NOT to breed. Just do some more research, bookmark pages of special interest, sit her down in front of the computer and let her read it all for herself. Especially show her this:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11158

Thank you for spending time with Cabella and helping her to be a good ambassador for the breed. Obedience is so important! Also, thank you for deciding to talk her mom out of breeding her. If you can convince her, you will be making a difference for the breed. :thumbsup:
Boo439

Postby Billings » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:26 am

Thanks Boo439 for the link. Harsh reality. I had to have a talk with her before I leash trained Cabella: her mom didn't belive in leashes.... I told her they DO in fact exsist :)) and that it was for the dogs protection more than anything. She is young and idealistic: those pictures will be the thing I show her last to drive it home.

I hope my Avatar worked here goes... (not Cabella, duh)
Billings

Welocme Billings

Postby Pitt-terra » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:33 am

Welcome! I'm recently new to the board, just signed up yesterday. I have a 12 week female pup, Pandora. She is the love of my life, as my other dog Kola is too. I have had pitbulls as pets my entire life growing up. They are probably one of, if not the most loyal, trusting, dedicated and intellegent companions I have been graced to share my life with. There is no limit to what they are capable of, or the love they return to you.
Enjoy!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... id=3047969
Pitt-terra

Postby Billings » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:18 pm

OK, I have ?'s for another part of the forum. How long till I can post elsewhere?
Billings

Postby voodoopitbull » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:19 pm

Welcome to the forum! :hi
voodoopitbull

Next

Return to Introductions