Demodex with a twist

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Demodex with a twist

Postby Billings » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:43 pm

I have a ~14 wk old who has just been diagnosed with demodex mange.

We dipped her tonight in that nail polish remover or as the vet called it Amitraz. She was cranky already from the poking and sticking and scrapping at the vets earlier. After the dip she was a very unhappy girl! Now I have done reading and have found that Amitraz is not tolerated well and has bad side effects (cranky and fatigue). I also found the diets and treatments used to help build the immunity.(like this: http://members5.boardhost.com/SUPERNATURAL/msg/447.html )
I also found that dogs can usually fight off the mange on their own but young dogs may not have a mature enough immune system to do so.

So my question is this:
*Are diet and supplements going to strenghten her immune system while she is still young? Enough to fight the little buggers or should we count on continuing to dip her every other week as the vet instructed?

I am all for the diet and supplements. I am very unsure about the harsh chemicals. I have done a search and these are the questions I am left with. I think the damage to her (from Armitraz) may not be good for her immune system in the long run, and this is from someone in the medical field and from my heart.
Billings

Postby Maximus » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:49 am

Poor baby! :( Billings, do you have any pics of your pup's demodex? Is it localized (a few small patches)? I can't really tell from your avatar... if it's localized, do NOT let your vet talk you into any more dips!!! An incredibly harsh chemical isn't what your little girl's body and immune system need to deal with right now. Every person with demodex experience I've talked to has said it really ought to only be used as a last resort for generalized (ALL over) cases.

Yes, immune-boosting supplements will definitely help her now. There are also other options that, unless your little girl's case is extreme, your vet ABSOLUTELY should have suggested first. There's Goodwinol, a topical prescription, which some people say helps a whole lot and others aren't really sure about. There's also Ivermectin, an oral treatment.

My dog developed localized demodex at around 10 months... I changed his food from Nutro to Wellness, supplemented with flax seed oil, an egg every other day and some fresh garlic, and his went away on its own. Good luck with your little girl!
Maximus

Postby Billings » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:46 pm

Well my digital camera would not turn out very good quality shots. But I'll tell you it started under her hindquarters and she has some spots on her neck and hind. I am so mad this backwoods vet didn't offer any other Tx options :po: So I think it is more localized IMO.

I am checking the local pet stores for Wellness or other quality foods.

Ugg this is what I hate about medicine in general it is the drug company pushing their products as the only option to Dr's and vets alike.
Billings

Postby barbponys » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:57 pm

Where in East Texas are you? Houston has quite a few stores that carry Nature's Variety. Have to admit, I don't know Texas very well, that's the only city I can think of lol .
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Billings » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:28 pm

Where in East Texas are you? Houston has quite a few stores that carry Nature's Variety. Have to admit, I don't know Texas very well, that's the only city I can think of .

I am in Tyler (East Texas) about 3-4 hrs away from Houston so that's out!LOL
I checked on Wellness they might have it at Petsmart. I have to do a search for all the good packaged food on the forum and see what's locally available. If I kept her full time I would split dry food with fresh. Heck it would help me with the extras, being single I use about half of the meat I buy. I am rambling.. I will check on Nature's Variety as well.
Billings

Postby sahara311 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:06 pm

Start giving fish oil supplements.... just normal human vitamins with the oil in the capsules...put in the food, mine like to eat them as treats, they pop them, and get fish-breath....helps the skin create enough oil. Both my dogs had puppy mange, and the oil really helped alot!
sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby stella » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:17 pm

Yup, diet and supplents go a long way to boosting the iimune system. Like Sahara said, use fish oil, preferably salmon oil from your local health food store or pharmacy. Salmon oil is a natural anti inflammatory; very good for boosting the immune system.
stella
Matured Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:29 am

Billings wrote:
Where in East Texas are you? Houston has quite a few stores that carry Nature's Variety. Have to admit, I don't know Texas very well, that's the only city I can think of .

I am in Tyler (East Texas) about 3-4 hrs away from Houston so that's out!LOL
I checked on Wellness they might have it at Petsmart. I have to do a search for all the good packaged food on the forum and see what's locally available. If I kept her full time I would split dry food with fresh. Heck it would help me with the extras, being single I use about half of the meat I buy. I am rambling.. I will check on Nature's Variety as well.

Petsmart isn't going to have much in the way of quality foods, they sell mainly brands you can pick up just about anywhere. Are there any independant pet stores in Tyler? How often do you get to Dallas? This store has GREAT prices on quality foods like Wellness.

http://www.caninecommissary.net/

I shop there almost weekly.

Debby
cheekymunkee

Postby Tori » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:19 am

If had known what I know now about other options for treating demo,I would have not done the dips on one of my dogs. That poor dog had such a bad reaction to the dips,from gaging,to fatigue,to vomiting,for up to a week afterwards.The only good thing that did come out of the dips was I only had to do the dips twice,then she was fine. The vet wanted to do it again,but I didn't,it cleared up on it's own.
Tori

Return to Health Issues