Does your life revolve around your dog?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Agarabaghi
Adolescent Bully

Does your life revolve around your dog?

Postby Agarabaghi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 am

Im so happy I am able to take care of my dog again, and she does not need to stay at my parents house any longer.

Though I dont have a yard and she needs exercise, i believe the amount of running she is doing is enough... What do you guys thinks...

Mon and Wed. Schedule
700am - Food
730am - 3mile bike ride / bathroom
830am - crated
200pm - walk
1000pm - food / 3 mile bike ride / bathroom
1200am - 3 mile bike ride / last bathroom

Tues Schedule
700am - Food
730am - 730am - 3mile bike ride / bathroom
830am - crated
1200pm - walk
600pm - food / 3 mile bike ride / bathroom
1200am - 3 mile bike ride / last bathroom

Thurs - Sunday
Im am home all four days so i usually am with her, or take her to my friends house for a play date with his dog.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 am

I think if you could increase the time between feeding and exercising, your dog will have less chance of bloat. It is advised to wait a good hour between feed/exercise. :thumbsup:

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:07 am

What about food after exercise? Still wait an hour?

Agarabaghi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Agarabaghi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 am

Yea for sure. I usually run her first, and her food is just laying out and she will eat when shes is hungry in that time frame.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 am

normally it should be no exercise at least 2 hours before a meal and 2 hours after to prevent bloat.

Agarabaghi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Agarabaghi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 pm

ok ill keep that in mind...

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Sounds like TOO much exersize in my opinon...
6 miles is fine, your doing 9

Agarabaghi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Agarabaghi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Well maybe im not clear... we are not sprinting... shes going at slow trot pace. Def. not running all 9 miles.... she seems to enjoy it. Also im guesstimating the distance it could be less...

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:38 pm

The Fate wrote:Sounds like TOO much exersize in my opinon...

Really depends on the dog. Django can truck forever and easily puts 9 under his belt on hikes or trail jogs with my bro. He also needs a high amount of exercise to keep him mellow.

Are you running her 9 every day? or just on those days when you can't be home with her? I think it sounds like she is getting more exercise than many dogs, and a very good amt considering you don't have a yard and have to take her out every time. Depending on what you do with her on your days off and her overall energy level you can modify it as you feel she needs it.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 pm

merriterrier wrote:
The Fate wrote:Sounds like TOO much exersize in my opinon...

Really depends on the dog. Django can truck forever and easily puts 9 under his belt on hikes or trail jogs with my bro. He also needs a high amount of exercise to keep him mellow.

Are you running her 9 every day? or just on those days when you can't be home with her? I think it sounds like she is getting more exercise than many dogs, and a very good amt considering you don't have a yard and have to take her out every time. Depending on what you do with her on your days off and her overall energy level you can modify it as you feel she needs it.

I would switch it up with different things too... biking is GREAT, I love taking my dogs for bike rides. But instead of three bike rides a day, we go for one bike ride and one walk... and we have a yard so we usually flirtpole too and they spend some time on a tie out if I have things to do in the yard... That way it kind of breaks the monotony up for them.

And I don't think 9 miles is too far. Carrie does 10 in her ONE bike ride and most of that in a flat out gallop, Marley only goes 4 or 5 at a slow trot because that's what he likes, but Carrie would run 100 miles if I let her keep going.

Training sessions help keep your dog tired too, physical exercsise is great but most dogs will benefit from mental exercises too. Try teaching her new tricks, practising obedience every day.

Return to “Training and Behavior”