Doggy Backpacking 101

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Can anyone post top down pics of how high up they have their packs? I got a pallisades (ruff wear) medium pack and was too big and stat to far back for Eve. I got too good of a deal on it and had a local sign sewing shop shorten the breast straps up so it is tighter and slide the pack forward. I can take more out but want to see where everyone should properly adjust the pack forward.

Pics would be great.

Thanks
Lunchbucket

ALuengo
Newborn Bully

Postby ALuengo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:37 pm

That's Héctor's Backpack. I had to buy the small size, because even medium size was too large for him. I think small size of this backpack, fits perfectly with an AST body.

Hope you like it! :thumbsup:

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:16 am

ALuengo, I disagree. That is a very poor fit for a backpack. If you see the original post on this thread you'll se some photos of a properly fit backpack and instructions on how to fit one.

I have to admit. There are a lot of poorly fitted backpacks in this thread. This is the reason I personally dislike Ruffwears backpacks, they very rarely fit.
I just googled a bit to find some pictures with properly fitted backpacks and some not so good. Maybe they can help all of you fit your own backpacks better.

This dog has a long back, but you get the jist. Good fit.

Another one, maybe it should com a bit further down on the back butnot much.

Another good fit

Funny picture of silly norwegians, but a good example of a poorly packed backpack. The fit itself isn't too bad. It'j just unevenly packed and is slouching to one side.

Backpack is too high and probably a bit too small:

Horrible fit. Backpack way too small and weightdistribution is wrong.

Too high up, but otherwise a good fit:
http://www.media.allerinternett.no/php/ ... rame=0&ee=

Great fit:

A tad too small

Great fit

I hope these are helpful to some of you.

ALuengo
Newborn Bully

Postby ALuengo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:20 am

Pineapples wrote:ALuengo, I disagree. That is a very poor fit for a backpack. If you see the original post on this thread you'll se some photos of a properly fit backpack and instructions on how to fit one.

You're right. But pictures were taken before adjust it completly. After do it, bags get more up on his shoulders. About size, I din't wrote that Héctor's backpack is only to wear weight. Just to make another physical exercise. I didn't buy it to carry food, water or anything to make a few days travel. It allows to carry weight, without a huge bag each side, that makes dogs less agile.

Regards.

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 am

I wouldn't add so much weight that you could call it physical exercise really. It could hurt him more than benefit him in my opinion. That's just me though...
I don't know if you meant you adjusted it forward towards his shoulders? It doesn't look like you had much to go on in the first place? And I would think pulling the backpack further towards his shoulders would make the it looser over his back where it is already too loose?

But of course this is my opinion only. Since there are a lot of poorly fitted backpacks in this thread and I do have some experience with backpacking I thought I would offer it.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm

I need to get a pic of Eve fitted with it on so we can get some opinions

Lunchbucket

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Logan HATES wearing his winter coat. Is this a good indication he would not like wearing a backpack?

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri May 08, 2009 1:41 pm

I have been thinking about getting Mya a backpack for when we go on walks.

What is a good quality but inexpensive doggy backpack???

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri May 08, 2009 2:58 pm

mcrslipknota7x wrote:I have been thinking about getting Mya a backpack for when we go on walks.

What is a good quality but inexpensive doggy backpack???
If I were you I would keep an eye on ebay.. I have several friends who have found great buys for packs there.

tezzla
Adolescent Bully

Re: Doggy Backpacking 101

Postby tezzla » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Fixedgearjerk
Adolescent Bully

Postby Fixedgearjerk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:00 pm

We've yet to fit Fez for a pack but I'd say he's ready to go! We got bored over the weekend and "camped out" for the first time, even though we didn't leave ha lol

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:14 pm

roflmao I just showed this to my boyfriend, this reminds me of him so much! When he got his backpacking tent he set it up in his bedroom and tried it out. Your dog even looks like Arnold (my avatar) in that photo!

Fixedgearjerk
Adolescent Bully

Postby Fixedgearjerk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Adrianne wrote:roflmao I just showed this to my boyfriend, this reminds me of him so much! When he got his backpacking tent he set it up in his bedroom and tried it out. Your dog even looks like Arnold (my avatar) in that photo!

:)) Boys will have their toys! Arnold is very handsome, a mini-head version of Fez! I was curious what the dog would say about sleeping in the tent, he was a champ! Can't wait to head for a few days completely alone together!

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Well that answers my question. Lol sorry I didn't look to see if their was already a post on backpacking so I started another one cause I had a question

julien_sti
Newborn Bully

Postby julien_sti » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am

hey guys sorry if i missed the post i dont allways read every post but, is there an age for backpacking? can you just put a backpack with lets say a bottle of water on each side when they're younger?

Return to “Training and Behavior”