Treadmills?..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Treadmills?..

Postby mad4bullies » Wed May 12, 2004 11:13 pm

Something ive always wondered: Wot results have people had with their dogs using these things? I expected them to tone up a dog and burn body fat, but ive read on a few sites about them really packing on muscle. Im not thinking of getting one, i was just curious. As always, any feedback would be appreciated :thumbsup:
mad4bullies

Postby pocketpit » Wed May 12, 2004 11:19 pm

I have one for my dogs (the electric kind) and have used them before. I like them. Burns fat, builds endurance, builds muscle, and best of all helps to tire out those high drive heathens :))
The dogs I have now are just learning to use it, but my first SBT was so in love with it that we had to keep the bedroom door closed all the time or she was standing on it begging to go. I'm sure she's not the only dog out there like that.
Another plus is you can still exercise them in bad weather :thumbsup:
pocketpit

Postby Sarah » Thu May 13, 2004 1:15 am

I wish I had one!
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby cntxraider » Thu May 13, 2004 4:08 am

http://www.grandcarpetmill.com/

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/9777/main.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/sys/popup_sour ... e%2Bwheels

These are links that Diane has listed on her site workingpitbull.com. This is what she has to say regarding treadmills. I wish I had one myself.

"Ah, my dog's other favorite activity! I have two carpet mills, and my dogs are absolutely obsessed with them. All day long they pester me to let them on the mills. If they get in the room where they are, they streak to them and stand on them, waiting to be hooked up. Carpet mills cost less than slat mills, but require more maintenance. They are less noisy then slat mills, but then again, because they are harder to turn, a dog has really got to want to run one. Slat mills are better for small dogs and dogs which show less enthusiasm about running the mill. A deluxe Grand Carpet Mill is about $300. A basic slat mill is about $800 to $1000, and deluxe models can run $1500. I have two mills, side by side. The sound of the other dog running encourages the dogs to go fast. My dogs run for 4 to 8 minutes morning and night. They tend to run full out, in a strong, hard gallop, and as the point of this exercise is to relieve stress, boredom, etc., and tire them out as quickly as possible, that works well for me. Some people tell me their dogs will trot on the mill for 1/2 hour, but I would not want my dogs to do that - I don't have the time! On a slat mill, a dog can run much longer, as the resistance is much less. Please go to the links page for a list of mill makers. "
cntxraider

Postby concreterose » Thu May 13, 2004 9:16 am

I have one for my dogs (the electric kind) and have used them before. I like them. Burns fat, builds endurance, builds muscle, and best of all helps to tire out those high drive heathens

Do you have a people treadmill or one of those jog a dog ones?
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pocketpit » Thu May 13, 2004 11:59 am

I have one for my dogs (the electric kind) and have used them before. I like them. Burns fat, builds endurance, builds muscle, and best of all helps to tire out those high drive heathens

The people kind. A used one is easy to find in the classifieds for pretty cheap so that's what I went for.
pocketpit

Postby Odnarb » Thu May 13, 2004 12:42 pm

pocketpit wrote:
The people kind. A used one is easy to find in the classifieds for pretty cheap so that's what I went for.

How did you get your dogs to run it?
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Thu May 13, 2004 1:08 pm

That's what I want to know too...I already have a treadmill.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby McGoose » Thu May 13, 2004 1:47 pm

This might be an idiotic question.....but why not just walk your dog??
McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby mnp13 » Thu May 13, 2004 1:55 pm

McGoose wrote:This might be an idiotic question.....but why not just walk your dog??

That's a good suggestion for a dog like Ruby, but if you have a dog like Connor, you better be ready to walk about 10 miles a day and then play tug for a while when you get home!!!
mnp13

Postby concreterose » Thu May 13, 2004 2:05 pm

That's a good suggestion for a dog like Ruby, but if you have a dog like Connor, you better be ready to walk about 10 miles a day and then play tug for a while when you get home!!!

We walk 4 miles a day, play tug and do flirtpole. When it's raining that's not possible, and sometimes time is a factor if I have church or tutor in the evening. If it rains, she bounces off the walls. In the winter we can't walk four miles a day (well SHE can, I can't...I get too cold).

If I have a packed schedule, 5-10 minutes at a flat out run will get out the wigglies without me having to get up at the crack of dawn, or walk her at 12 am.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pocketpit » Thu May 13, 2004 2:27 pm

It's a multi step process, but most dogs catch on very quickly. I'm sure there are other methods, but this is the one I've used.
I start by feeding the dog and treating on the treadmill to develop a positive outlook about it. At the same time, but in different sessions, I turn the treadmill on and let it run while treating and praising the dog. That way they can adjust to the noise and movement.
Once the dog seems very comfortable with that, it's time to actually put them on. I use a harness for new dogs and then switch to a collar when they have the idea. Most treadmills have supports or something up front that a short leash can be attached to. This is then attached to the harness or collar. Make sure the leash is short enough to help prevent the dog from going off the back. I use a harness for new dogs just because I think it's scary enough to be on the treadmill let alone to freak out or balk and then be pulled by your neck as well.
Placing the treadmill lengthwise along a wall will prevent the dog from bailing off one side. That leaves you to prevent it on the other unless you want to get inventive and build a wall for the other side.
I start with turning the treadmill on the lowest speed and get the dog comfortable then gradually increasing the speed to the desired gait. I always give them a warm up period at a walk for a few minutes. Even experienced dogs.
Some people like to let their dogs run all out, others at a trot for half an hour or so. Both methods work fine. For those of you who do conformation a trot is great training for the ring. It's important when purchasing a mill to look at the length of the mill vs. the size of your dog. Some of the smaller, space saving mills would be too short for a big dog at an extended trot.
Sitting at the front of the treadmill is motivational for a lot of dogs and it's a great place to treat or lure inexperienced dogs that still need some help. NEVER LEAVE YOUR DOG UNATTENDED. I think that goes without saying, but best not to take that chance I guess.
For a greater workout use the incline option (if you have one) or stack phone books or such under the front to elevate it.
Hope this is somewhat helpful :tongue:
pocketpit

Postby Ariel Payopay » Thu May 13, 2004 4:22 pm

Stitch having fun on his treadmill again.

One of Diane's dogs on a human treadmill.

Be careful of the treadmills. You don't want to overdue it. My dumbass sprayed Pledge on my dog's carpet treadmill to make him run faster and he wasn't used to running that fast yet. That was a big mistake, Stitch ran so hard that it messed up one of his knees and gave him luxating patella. Then he was scared of the treadmill for awhile. His knees are doing better and now he doesn't mind getting on the treadmill. But I don't put anymore Pledge on it to make it slippery. I just let him run for 5 mins for now. So far his knees have been doing fine.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby McGoose » Thu May 13, 2004 6:33 pm

mnp13 wrote:

I see. McGoose is a very, very lazy dog. About a mile walk, and she starts laying down in people's front lawns. About 15 minutes of fetch, and she's ready for a cool drink and a soft couch.

Maybe there's something to that whole "pets act like their owners..." thing.
McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Sarah » Thu May 13, 2004 9:44 pm

McGoose wrote:I see. McGoose is a very, very lazy dog. About a mile walk, and she starts laying down in people's front lawns. About 15 minutes of fetch, and she's ready for a cool drink and a soft couch.

Maybe there's something to that whole "pets act like their owners..." thing.

Naw... I'm fat and lazy, and my dogs are both very, very active. Why I'd like to have a treadmill... though it's good to walk them, the 30 minutes or so of walking that I can manage after a workday isn't the kind of exercise they need. My dogs need to run.

After the agility trial last Saturday, where each dog got to run 4 times, after getting to walk through the course on leash each time (since it was a UKC trial)... plus, being in that exciting environment... wouldn't you think they'd be tired when we got home? Big HAH! Tully was bouncing off the walls! Elmo is nearly 8 now, so he was willing to lie around the house, but he'd rather have had some more exercise.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Next

Return to Health Issues