Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby chavez408 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:12 pm

what do you guys think of the evo reduce fat? I just started feeding my 3 year old pup with that
chavez408
Newborn Bully

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 am

TIVA, i have been feeding ruby DVP and since putting her on it she has these hot spots that wont go away,and itches ... and its the LID food. i am going to switch her over and see how she does on something else
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullhappenings » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:15 pm

I'm currently feeding my 4 dogs Canidae All Life Stages. So far we haven't any issues. My dog's are only eating once a day (usually at night when I feed them) They seem to really like it. I wished I could afford better but have 4 large dogs it's pretty tough. After tax I'm paying about $50 for a 44 lb bag that lasts about 2 weeks.
pitbullhappenings

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:07 am

i just switched to ALS too, i am not happy with rubys stools as they are more and softer.. its only been a few days so we shall see..
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby bullymama7 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I am really trying to learn about the best foods to be feeding my dogs...They are older puppies right now, and when I just had my one girl, I fed Nature's Recipe. When I got my 2nd, I couldnt really afford to feed them both the "better" food so i switched to Pedigree, which i am now realizing is complete and utter garbage, even though my vet recommends it!! :huh?:

I am going to look into Timberwolf, from what i've read on here, even though it seems pretty expensive (for me).

Barb, your posts have been very helpful. Does anyone have any info about Life's Abundance (www.trilogyonline.com)

Here is the ingredient list--im not very good at interpreting it..:

Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Flaxseed Meal, Natural Flavors, Dried Egg Product, Catfish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Salt, L-Lysine, Canola Oil, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Monosodium Phosphate, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Blueberries, Dried Broccoli, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Pomegranate Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Citric Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide.

Contains a source of live (viable), naturally-occurring microorganisms.

Thanks!
bullymama7
Newborn Bully

Postby bullymama7 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:32 pm

ps...

the reason I ask about Life's Abundance when the price of it is about the same as Timberwolf, is because it's what my mom is feeding her rottie, PLUS they have a direct marketing/distributor plan that i was contemplating....if I wasnt successful in selling it, at the very least I would get it at the wholesale price! i saw that Timberwolf has an affiliate program in the works, but it's not active yet.

On the other hand, Timberwolf is available at the Complete Petsmart down the street from me (i was surprised!!), which would be pretty convenient... :)
bullymama7
Newborn Bully

Postby jazmins mama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:22 pm

i feed my girls Taste Of the Wild..i switch between the bison/venison and the roasted fowl formulas,iv tryed pretty much all the other foods within 40-60$ a bag and high quality this is the best so far imo.
jazmins mama
Newborn Bully

Postby Sandwich » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:23 am

good morning guys (and girls).. I don't post here much but the dog is sick and i need a little advice. I was running really low on food recently (Timberwolf dakota bison flavor) and in a pinch i bought some blue buffalo from Petsmart. I chose that because I was just coming home from vacation picking him up from the pethotel and i forgot how little food i had left so i had to get something. The timberwolf has been so hard to get in the past couple months, I really have to get him off of it anyway just for that reason. Needless to say, He's not doing well on the blue buffalo.. omg, came home to a kennel full of nasty. :yucky:

is there any food i can give him that is similar to the timberwolf, that maybe won't make him AS sick? he's getting boiled rice tonight because i have a feeling i'm going to come home to another mess. I understand this is my fault for not correctly switching foods but what else can i do right now to ease his stomach?
Sandwich
Newborn Bully

Postby rsemrau2 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Hello everybody! I recently switched Gotti to Wellness Super5Mix and he is doing great on it! The first couple of days he had runny poop but he has been doing great on it. I have not noticed any difference in his coat or health but I really think it is making a difference. I found out about wellness from this site-

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

This is a great site with reviews of all the dog food you can imagine. It is very detailed and accurate giving you percentages of ingredients and a review of the food. If any of you have problems with food I suggest looking here.
rsemrau2
Newborn Bully

Postby Maven » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

We have recently switched to Orijen. Both dogs are doing fantastic on in. Some of the previously mentioned had undesirable effects. I stumbled on this by accident and the dogs love it and are shiny and happy without gas or runny bums. Lord knows I have tried about everything else for the allergy ridden older dog. He has zero hot spots and itches waaaaaay less :nana: HUGE bonus!!!! Of course he still scratches some as dust and pollen are part of what ails him
Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Harley » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Hey guys how have you all been? I have a question my boy is sick again ( Auto-immune ) and it seem the only time he gets better is when I start making him food. (Boiled chicken seared steak just to kill any bacteria steam broccoli , Carrots , red peppers). So here goes my 2 part question.

1- I just picked up some Timber wolf - black Forrest to add some crunch and any vitamins he is missing in the food . The guy in the pet store that "taste of the wild " kibble is just as good if not better than timber wolf IS THIS TRUE ?

2- I want to keep feeding home made meals were can I buy good quality kelp as I see alot of you guys feed your children ?

PS anything extra other than muscle meats that I can feed him to help replenish his muscles before he withers away to nothing
Harley
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 am

So what is the current verdict on the best food besides raw that is.
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby mtlu » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Midniteblack wrote:So what is the current verdict on the best food besides raw that is.

There's still no verdict :)
It really depends on a combination of factors: your budget, your dog's needs and any special circumstances like allergies or other medical conditions. Most kibbles that people do recommend in the multitude food threads are good but it's still trial and error with each individual dog – there's even a thread right now about dog's doing poorly on highly rated kibble.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Harley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm not the guru on this but a seemingly knowledgeable guy working in a pet store I buy food in suggested Innova.

Here was his point when buying food if the main ingredients are straight meats they need to be dhydrated before being able to be processed and combined with the other ingredients to make kibble. I understood that then he stated a something I didnt real agree with that meal is actually a better protein source than meat . His reasoning was simple meal is a protein concentrate added to the kibble. Therefore if the 1st ingredient is per say Venison and the second ingredient is venison meal the food has a better protein consistency . Weather this is true or not I leave up to the scientist what I can say is I just bought the black forest timber wold and the ingredients didnt make me think wow this kibble stand s out from the rest.

So I would like to hear some thoughts on this Meat & meal also I would like some timberwolf people to chime in please

PS any BARF feeders please help me come up with a variety of foods I'm feeding harley steak seared w/ brocilli , 2 table spoons of cottage chese and a little whole grain brown rice some times adding boiled chicken breast.
Harley
Newborn Bully

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:39 pm

some dogs do better on high quality, some on cooked, some raw, some not so great food. it depends on the dog. if your dog does really well on cooked there are a ton of books to get on how to home cook for your dog to make sure he gets the proper nutrients. i have one dog here who does chocolate on high quality foods, i just got pro plan sensitive stomach/skin and she is doing good on it so far , its not what i would like to feed,but after trying all the high quality foods and seeing how poor she did i decided to try something not as high quality. so far so good. once you find something that works - if it aint broke dont fix it..
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues