~Hello New here~

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

~Hello New here~

Postby TonyPa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:48 pm

I have been reading through the threads, but had a question. i am going tomorrow afternoon, to look at some pit Bulls a guy has in my local paper...
Is there anything I should look for in the parent while there?
Or anything particular to look at in the pups?
I am really excited about this, but wanted some expert advise. I have 4 small children, and would love for them to have a New Family addition..
The guys said he has kids, and the parents are there, the dad is a bit over protective of the house, and is 90 pounds. The Female, "MOM",, is about 65 pounds, and will allow anyone to walk through the door.

Here is what the ad reads...Any advise would be great. I am new to the pitbull race. I lost my German Sheperd after 12 years....Thanks...Here is the ad:

PIT BULL PUPS 5 males, 4 fem. Blue & white and blue brindle. UKC reg. Champ.-grand champ bldline. Vet chkd. Males $500;fem.$600
TonyPa

Postby pocketpit » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 pm

If you want my honest opinion, it sounds like these folks are your typical back yard breeder and I would not pay those prices for a BYB dog.

There is no mention of health checks ( a check up by their vet does NOT count as a health clearance), and the ad says "Ch bloodlines". Which indicates that their dogs were never shown thus are not champions. Somewhere in thier lines (it could be 6 generations back) someone was a champion. So pet quality dogs have been bred together with no health clearances and they want how much for them?
Another red flag is the fact that the dad is 90lbs. If he's a normal sized Pit Bull he must be really overweight. Otherwise he's not the proper size (another indicator he shouldn't have been bred). His size and color are all the rage for BYB's nowdays. Blue is not a "rare" or prized color and if bred incorrectly can have a host of health issues attached to it like skin issues.
Yet another red flag which sends off HUGE warning bells is the comment that dad is "protective" of his house. Acting overprotective could be a sign of a dog with poor temperment. It certaintly is not a typical Pit Bull characteristic. Mom sounds more stable and what you would expect. Unstable temperments are genetic and will be passed onto puppies.

In short, you can find a much cheaper, nicer pup through a rescue or do some more research and buy a very well bred dog from an ethical breeder for what this guy is charging.
There is an excellent sticky around here on things to look for in a breeder and good questions to ask when you talk to anyone you are thinking of purchasing a pup from.

By the way, WELCOME to the board, I hope we can continue to be helpful to you when you do get a dog. :))
pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:16 pm

The sticky is located in the rescourse section and is titled Everything you need to know about breeding.

I realize I need to clarify what I said about health clearances. The ad sounds like they have had the puppies seen by thier vet for a checkup which is good. But I was refering to the parents. A good breeder has their dogs' hips x-rayed, eyes checked, etc. Like German Shepherds, Pit Bulls can be affected by hip dysplasia and other serious health conditions.
pocketpit

Thank you!!

Postby TonyPa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:19 pm

I appreciate you taking the time out to tell me all this. There were some in the local paper near me that were 200-550...I just called the most expensive, figuring it would be a better dog.

okay..you can slap me now..!!

Maybe I better call around some more. I did see quite a few rescue league places, that are loaded with pit bulls, but was hoping to purchase a Pup!

I am really excited about an addition to the family, but trying very hard to find the right one. When he did say the Father was a bit aggresive, I was wondering about that. Then I found this forum tonight, and figured I better do homework first....Thanks very Much,,I truly appreciate your time!!
TonyPa

Sorry

Postby TonyPa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:21 pm

I think we posted at the same time. Being new to the board, i did just find that section, and will read through everything.
I did mention to my father, of course, who doesn't live with me, that we wanted a pit bull, And he almost had heart failure. Cause we have young children. I really get tired of people putting down certain breeds of animals!
TonyPa

Postby pocketpit » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:29 pm

No need to slap anyone lol
And get used to the dirty looks and nasty comments! Part of owning a Pit Bull is having thick skin so you can deal with the people who are unfortunate enough to not be able to share their life with one of the best breeds ever.

As far as getting a puppy goes, believe me there are lots of them in rescue! You just need to know where to find the resuces. Start with Petfinder.com You can do a search for your breed in your area. Also check out our rescue section. Everyone around the country has puppies in their areas for rescue. Sadly the Pit Bull is probably one of the most overbred breeds out there and there is never a shortage of wonderful, deserving dogs waiting for a family.
Whether you get an adult or a puppy, a good rescue will have spayed/neutered it, vaccinated it, and had it temperment tested. Some of the slightly older pups have already started obedience training, crate training, etc. which is a big bonus for you.
pocketpit

Thanks again!!

Postby TonyPa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:32 pm

I appreciate your advise!...I will do some searching!
I did check with my local municipality, and they said they have no ordinances against PitBulls, Just leash laws, which is a good thing!!..Thanks again!
TonyPa

Postby BullyVW » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:24 pm

BSL is illegal in PA. Where are you from in PA? I'm in Allentown and am more than willing to help.

Welcome to the world of the BYB.....responsible for thousands of shelter pets that wait for euthenasia. On the other hand, my Ralphy came by way of a BYB and I love him to death.

Overall....$500-$600 is way too much money. Are these pups registered with the UKC? What tests have been done? Pediatric speuter? For that price you should be able to get a lot of info and get a really well bred dog.

I know you want a puppy..but think about adopting. There are puppies in our shelters here.

Feel free to PM me anytime.
BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Boo439 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:40 am

Welcome to the board!! I would look into rescue. Rescues always have an overabundance of pit bulls and puppies. pitbullpride down here in Florida has a whole litter of puppies that will be ready soon. I don't know if she's willing to adopt to PA, but I would PM her and ask. :thumbsup:
Boo439

Postby tjbsandy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:20 am

Welcome!!!!
tjbsandy

Postby PitBullPride » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:23 pm

Welcome!!!!!
PitBullPride

Postby mnp13 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Welcome!

I agree with all of the other posts here - there is no reason to pay that much for a puppy from untested, untitled dogs.

You will find the exact same quality dogs in rescue for less than half the cost, and will be saving a life as well.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby whiskeyman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:20 pm

I have a little to add to what everyone is saying.

When looking for a dog it would be a good idea (especially since you have small children) to look at dogs that have spent time at a foster home. That way they have been evaluated by someone that is familiar with dogs and has spent a great deal of time working with the dog.

This would ensure that you dog a dog that was well mannered and probably has some basic obedience training. It will also give you an upfront look at the dog's temperment, you will know how it is with cats, other dogs, and most inportantly kids.

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby Tinka44 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:41 pm

Welcome TonyPa!

I'm so happy to hear that you are interested in getting a pitbull. I must agree with the posts here, PLEASE at least look into the option of adopting.

Right now is the most crucial time for this breed. The laws and bans will slowly bring this breed into extinction, due, the most part to the Back Yard Breeders. People keep buyin' them, so BYB's keep producing them.

There are puppies for adoption, but hey, you might even find an older pit that you fall in love with. I accidently found my dog, she's around 4-5 years old and it makes me love her so much more knowing the pain she suffered and the future that could have been for her. Not only can you get a great dog, you can also really truly feel good about how you aquired your dog.

You said you dad almost had heart failure when you told him of your plans to get a pitbull, while the stories people hear on the news are horrible, you never hear that the pitbulls 'worst' trait, their great strength, is also their best trait. The pain tollerence of the pitbull is extremly high, which makes this breed great for families with children. As we all know, kids play rough, no worries about your kids hurting your dog and biting like there is with a smaller or weaker breed.

PocketPit said 'Part of owning a Pit Bull is having thick skin so you can deal with the people who are unfortunate enough to not be able to share their life with one of the best breeds ever.' Please be prepared for this as well, people will shout things at you, cross the road when they see your dog, and in some extreme cases (this happened to me) maybe even spit at you! This is now simply part of owning a pitbull. Although we shouldn't have to face this, it makes me proud that I DO own a pitbull, media-brainwashed people like this have never met a pitbull and have bias, pre-determined, un-educated veiws.

What ever your decision, congrat's on getting on of the best breeds ever! And one more tip...don't take tips from people who have never owned a pitbull or that don't know the breed.

Tinka and Molly :peace:
Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Thanks!!!

Postby TonyPa » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks for the big welcome!! I appreciate that. Think I found a new home here.
I did get my new Baby.
Went to a Guy near me, that had pups!
The parent were wonderful, very friendly, and loved my children. I spent about a half hour before looking at the pups, just playing with mom And Dad.
Then looked at the pups. I am so happy I probably won't sleep tonight.
I am gonna try and post a photo here, she will be 7 weeks Saturday!
Hope this photo shows up!!...Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!

Image[/url]
TonyPa

Next

Return to Introductions