Who's Had Hives?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:47 pm

*Bump*
Haven't seen the hives return yet this season *crosses fingers*

How bout anyone else?
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:42 pm

We haven't either...but our hives arrive around the end of June/beginning of July. V. will have been on allergy injections for about 7 months by then...so it will be interesting to see what happens!!
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby tia_leigha » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Well V, we have hives now...using the benadryl. how bout you?

Anyone else experiencing the bumps down the back? :sad:
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:33 am

We've had a few...however our season is July - October; so we are waiting with baited breath.

She has been itchy; licking paws, biting flank. She is getting 5mg of zyrtec every am per the dermatologist and benadryl prn.

This season will be the big test; she has been on allergy injections since November. They could help completely (OK not looking like it), partially or not at all.

If she doesn't end up covered from head to toe and on prednisone and antibiotics...I will call it a success.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Melissa528 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:51 am

Reina broke out in hives once and that was at the end of December... We never did the test to figure out exactly what she's allergic to but I switched her to DVP Fish and Sweet Potato and she seems OK... She has the itchy toes but her ears are good and no hives for 6 months... I'm crossing my fingers that she won't get them again.
Melissa528
Newborn Bully

Postby 1lila1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Back in March Angel had a really bad episode of hives that took multiple vet trips and weeks of meds to get under control. Ever since then he's pretty much always had at least a couple of hives and two outbreaks that required vet treatment.

If he has another one, which I'm sure he will, I'm going to bite the bullet and do the $400 blood test and then see where to go from there. I've spent way more on controlling the symptoms than the blood test would cost already so might as well just do it.
1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Darla get shives from flea bites, KID YOU NOT. But Because the puppy, Duke had Demo mange, I got this shampoo with Neem oil and voila NO FLEAS AS WELL! It's only $15 and I've had in for 4 months on 3 dogs that I wash 1 time a week each.

Darla also is allergic to grass, and she LOVES to roll in it ARG. But it really seems as if her hives were from fleas mostly, one is all she needed. SHe's a good groomer and had very little with her short hair, but then you can get the whole worm issue from the fleas being ingested by her. the shampoo is awesome! And all natural...sorry you think I'd work for the company :oops:
Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:46 pm

BTW I thought the vet was losing it when he told me, I had never heard of hives due to bites from fleas, but it seems to be true. I had changed he diet, real expensive food, nothing seem to be helping. total waste of money, I noticed it was seasonal...hmmm maybe it's hay fever. the things I did for her. The vet was right. since the new shampoo only one or two hives per season :po: I'm a dork.
Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby TANKtheTANKER » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Oh Jeebas! lol So I just want to THANK the original poster for this thread...my poor poor Patches is so bad. It's terribly itchy and has been going on for about 2 weeks now. I am going to try the Benedryl. I KNOW it's not her food cause she's been on it for MONTHS!

I too have noticed it get slightly better when she is indoors, but when she comes back in from being outside in the backyard (even for a couple of minutes) she is all broke out! My yard is nothing but dirt and barkdust (could the barkdust be the issue?) I don't see how it can be tho cause we have lived here for 3 months now and when the barkdust was fresh she'd roll an run for days with no issues.

Her skin is all rashy and flakey and scaley...I got some medicated shampoo from a all natural pet store and have used it once. I want to take her to the vet but I too think I will get some bogus diagnosis and I don't have the money to try everything under the sun.

Patches also is stinky in her ears and has a very sour smell to her. My friends puppy was like this a couple weeks back and she just bought a product called "SPUNK" and said it works miracles. My friend claims these hives as well as some of the other issues is due to an overabundance of YEAST in the system. She also did some research and found that antibiotics cause the yeast to grow and infest even more which could be why some of you are experiencing constant re-infections once off the antibiotics.

Here is a link to "SPUNK" if anyone would like it.
http://www.equerrys.com/spunk.htm

Anyway, I'm going to give her some benedryl until I can get some "SPUNK" on thursday (they were out and will be getting some in then).
TANKtheTANKER
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TANKtheTANKER » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh Jeebas! lol So I just want to THANK the original poster for this thread...my poor poor Patches is so bad. It's terribly itchy and has been going on for about 2 weeks now. I am going to try the Benedryl. I KNOW it's not her food cause she's been on it for MONTHS!

I too have noticed it get slightly better when she is indoors, but when she comes back in from being outside in the backyard (even for a couple of minutes) she is all broke out! My yard is nothing but dirt and barkdust (could the barkdust be the issue?) I don't see how it can be tho cause we have lived here for 3 months now and when the barkdust was fresh she'd roll an run for days with no issues.

Her skin is all rashy and flakey and scaley...I got some medicated shampoo from a all natural pet store and have used it once. I want to take her to the vet but I too think I will get some bogus diagnosis and I don't have the money to try everything under the sun.

Patches also is stinky in her ears and has a very sour smell to her. My friends puppy was like this a couple weeks back and she just bought a product called "SPUNK" and said it works miracles. My friend claims these hives as well as some of the other issues is due to an overabundance of YEAST in the system. She also did some research and found that antibiotics cause the yeast to grow and infest even more which could be why some of you are experiencing constant re-infections once off the antibiotics.

Here is a link to "SPUNK" if anyone would like it.
http://www.equerrys.com/spunk.htm

Anyway, I'm going to give her some benedryl until I can get some "SPUNK" on thursday (they were out and will be getting some in then).
TANKtheTANKER
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:37 am

Well we have had hives daily since I posted. He gets benadryl day and night. Poor Dozer is a big sloth on Benadryl but at least the hives seem to not be so intense.

My Mom and sister both work at diff. vet clinics. Last summer my sister bought us the RELIEF shampoo/leave on cond. set. It didnt seem to do much. This year my mom gave us a calming oatmeal shampoo that you can also apply in between shampoos to the affected areas. We are trying it, seems OK.

I want to try the shampoo that Darlazmum mentioned . Sounds like a plan.

These hives suck :sad: I cant figure out if its from the heat, from a flea bite, from pollen...
*sigh* My sister is staling Dozer on Friday and taking him into her clinic . They have all the new high tech equipment and I suppose a skin scrape is in his future. We're going to try to get to the bottom of this. It is going on year 3 with warm month hives...Its time for Dozer to enjoy a summer. :thumbsup:
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby riley_23 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:42 pm

So this could be a long shot, but you all say that your dogs mostly get hives after being outside, your wiping them with baby wipes help right. Now I know I've seen the doggie jammies on PBF somewhere. If your dogs wore something that covered most of them would it help? It may not be right for some, but maybe others? Like I said might be a long shot but it just came to mind after reading all of your stories. Our dog gets really red and itchy towards the end of july and we use benadryl. We have a pup that is almost six months old and already itchy I can't wait to see how the rest of the summer goes.
riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Mya has luckily not gotten hives this year.

River is allergic to ants so, he broke out in hives early this year and got stung by a bee. :frown:

But, it really has not be bad so far. *fingers crossed*
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby iluvmypithannah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Hannah gets hives in the summer season too, I'm doing benadryl. She usually gets them 2-3 times a week until it starts to cool off.
iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Re: Who's Had Hives?

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Looks like we're in the middle of a developing allergy fest. It first appeared on his flank area and now it is working its way up his back. Goes away, comes back, goes away, comes back... gotta love Benadryl!

Thanks for all your stories, they have been helpful!
Luckily he is not itchy yet, just a little, thank goodness I don't have to listen to slurp, slurp, lick lick 24/7. :)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues