Hi From NJ, Soon to be FL

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Hi From NJ, Soon to be FL

Postby willyg44 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Hey all,

My name is Will, I'll be turning 23 this Summer. I currently live in North New Jersey, and go to school at Rutgers (New Brunswick). I'll soon be graduating and will be moving in with my fiance in Gainesville, where she will be pursuing her PhD in English at University of Florida. I don't have a pitbull right now :frown: but we've been wanting one for a while and the timing of things just didn't work out. We figured when we are in Florida, it would be a great time for an addition to the "family"!

We have been frequenting this forum, and are trying to be very educated about the breed before we decide to own a pitbull. I helped my friend who is very educated about the breed with some training for his pit about a year and a half ago, but that's the extent of my physical interaction with the breed!

I love the pitbull breed, and the gallery in this forum never gets old. The pitbull smile cheers me up all the time, I swear! And I'm sure you all hear this all the time on this forum, but I find it EXTREMELY IGNORANT that people have outlawed this breed in certain areas. I could go on a rant for pages on it! :po: The fact that the breed is so misunderstood by many, and hated by more is definitely another motivator to bring a pitbull into our lives and show people the true pitbull! :)) I also understand that there must be a certain level of responsibility you must have when owning a pitbull, because of all of the misunderstandings and hatred about the breed, but we can definitely handle it!

Lets see, some other stuff about me - I am an IT and Gender Studies double major in college, and will be graduating after this coming fall. I love the outdoors, nature, beautiful scenery, and I hope to do some traveling to some beautiful places after I graduate! My main passion as of now in life seems to be combatting the hateful people I observe around me. I'm currently an active member in a group called Men For An End at my school, that takes a little different approach to attempt to stop violence against women. No, we do not think we are men so we are saviors to women (We get that often), we just feel like women's violence is very prevalent even today, and since men are mostly the ones we are talking about causing the violence here, men trying to talk to men about this issue is a different approach, because men are the ones who need to stop committing these acts of violence. We get fraternities on campus to get involved and talk to other "jock" type guys about respecting women and women's bodies etc. It's a new program, but it is gaining some respect around campus! I'm also a huge proponent for equality in all aspects of society, the most prevalent issue right now being gay rights. I try to get involved in a lot of things that have to do with these social issues. SO, that's my life outside of school and work right now, along with a couple movies a week and a bar trip or two!

I'd like to gain a lot of knowledge before I own a pitbull, and also ask if I am in the right position to even own one. I'm not quite positive about the time I would need to devote to him/her. I obviously wouldn't leave it alone for 8 hours every day, I'm especially talking about the time that would be needed for training/exercise especially since I think we will be looking for a baby pit :tongue: So yeah, I hope that's a valid intro, and I hope I can get some of my questions answered before I am an owner!

OH and all of you are AWESOME on this forum, seem like such nice people! :peace:

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Re: Hi From NJ, Soon to be FL

Postby adamwilkes14 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:02 am

From one Floridian to a soon to be another, I say welcome :headbang:

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:43 am

:welcome:
Great introduction!!! You seem to be very interested in becomming educated and you're definately in the right place. I think as long as you know what you're getting into along the lines of breed traits and training then you can MAKE yourself the right home, it all depends on how much work you're willing to do. Education is definately key though, its ignorance that gives the breed a bad name, and I can tell that by your post, the last thing you'd want to do is become some horrible statistic. I think along with contemplating whether or not a pittie is the right dog for you, you should contemplate whether you'd like to have a puppy or an adult, and if you'd like to get the dog from a breeder or from a shelter. Again, welcome to the forum, and great intro, I'm sure it wont be long before you're approved and you can ask questions on the board :)

pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgrl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:17 pm

welcome :)

samurai4321
Newborn Bully

Postby samurai4321 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:07 am

Can't go wrong with the loyalty and love you'll get from a pitbull :thumbsup:

Ariel Payopay
Site Admin