Breaking up a fight with 2 or 3 dogs

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Monokaryotic
Super Bully

Postby Monokaryotic » Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 am

I understand now red. Here's a video of a dog fighting dog in Tokyo that I got from a site that had shutdown, I can't find it. It doesn't show any dog fighting, it just shows a gamebred APBT on a spring pole holding onto a soccor ball, teather ball. They come in and use a break stick.
Last edited by MikeInTacoma on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed obsolete link at poster's request

Monokaryotic
Super Bully

Postby Monokaryotic » Wed May 06, 2009 11:34 am

Someone erase that link, here it is on photobucket

Last edited by MikeInTacoma on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Update video link syntax; remove nonfunctional embedded script

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed May 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Is that thing even flat and wedge-shaped on the tip? I can't see it but uhm...big much?

bainboy76
Newborn Bully

Postby bainboy76 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:28 am

I have encountered a fight between 2 pitbulls. I was walking my friends pit "Diamond". She was about 3 years old at the time. My friend said she weighs around 110 lbs, she's a big one. Well, we just headed out down the road. This was the first time I had walked her and I didn't expect what happened.

We came across a house that had a dog loose in the yard. Well, as we got closer, I noticed it was a red nose pit. Looked to weigh around 50-60 lbs. It came up to Diamond and got in her face. It growled just a little bit and that's all it took. Diamond tore into the red nose and they both started fighting. I started pulling at Diamond and saying "no" real loud. I felt one of them clip my leg, so I started kicking at them. I come to realize that it was probably the wrong thing to do because they could have turned on me, but it did work and they broke up. The owner of the red nose was in his yard and did nothing to try and help, which pissed me off, but I appologozed because we were the ones coming by their house. We kepted on walking. We turned around a little ways down the road and came back. Never saw the pit again, guess the guy tied her up or something.

I told my friend what happened and she said I should have let them fight, because I could have gotten hurt. I guess I wasn't thinking about me at the time. My leg was fine and Diamond got a small cut above her eye. Other than that, she was ok. I never walked her past that house again.

Monokaryotic
Super Bully

Postby Monokaryotic » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:24 am

From what I hear, you can use a break stick to other breeds if they're not giving up and grab hold of another dog and shaking, it's more dangerous but you can.

Monokaryotic
Super Bully

Postby Monokaryotic » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:32 am

Rayner wrote:There is alot of good info here but my wife experianced a situation on her own and it turned out bad for her and one of my dogs. It was a pure accident but my female Malinos got out into the yard at the same time my 40lb rednose was out for her nightly stroll. As you can guess they got together and it was my little red who was having enough of the situation but the Mal was single tracked and very motivated. My wife attempted to seperate the two and took a serious bite to her thigh from the red which according to my wife once she realized who she was biting she released. My wife backed out and went in again and this time took a deep bite to her left arm and that was all she could take and the red was almost gone at this point anyway. The end of this event ended with 3 rounds from a 9mm and one dead little red and a injured Mal. My wife recieved over 50 sticths between her leg and arm and had to lie about the event so as not to have the Mal removed.
The point is please inform your family members to either know what they are doing when entering into a fight or maybe stay out of it, my wife is physically ok now but it couldhave been worse, and she still deals with the whole scene and could she have done it better and how it is her fault they got together in the first place. Love your dogs but please inform the family.

Wait, you killed the pit bull? Why?

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:59 pm

The sentence immediately prior to the one about the pit bull dying suggests the dog's wounds were extremely serious.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:31 am

A few more videos:

Another dog of mine:

Something interesting and that add to the time needed to insert the stick. The dog of mine below is supposedly an ex fighting dog and he seems to be "stick wise", which means that the moment he is approached with the stick he shuts the back of his mouth even more, which makes it a little harder to put the stick in:

This is a bit closer so you can really see him closing the back, folding his lips over, which will be in the way:

For him this wooden breaking stick seems to work better as it is easier to slide it in and softer on his mouth. Also, the stick was not placed exactly in the back but since it went in the twisting motion worked just fine.

There was no need in these videos to insert the stick all the way in and almost out of the other side, like someone else mentioned. Then again it is a toy they are holding onto.Frankly, I have not yet had the need to do that even in a fight between two dogs. There is no specific rule as how much the stick is inserted, one kinda has to go with the situation and see what works at that moment. Sometime there is a hold mostly with the front teeth and sometime the dog has a mouth full of fur, skin and a tigher bite. These videos are only to give an idea of what to do with a stick. They are not a substitute for real situations, in which things can vary.Not sure if they are better than what I took before but it is not easy to place the dog exactly in front of the camera and to do a close up since the dog moves, shakes and what not, when he has a hold of something. I tried to take some with the dogs on the springpole but they did not look much better than these. Hope that will do.
Last edited by MikeInTacoma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:36 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: new video tags

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:32 am

Thanks Red, these do help.

FWIW, our Tazz is also "stickwise", and I'm certain he was never fought. (We got him at the age of maybe 9 weeks, supposed to be a short-term -- like, 3 days -- foster, but GF finds him cute, and now he's been here over a year... sigh.) It took only one time with me using a breaking stick to get him off a tug toy before he closed his lips, the way your dog (is that Tux?) does, the next time he saw the stick.

Monokaryotic
Super Bully

Postby Monokaryotic » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:23 am

No lie, this made my day.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:17 pm

wegobad wrote:...is that Tux?

Yes, what a little care does for a scrawny little Louisiana dog ;)

MikeInTacoma

Re: Breaking up a fight with 2 or 3 dogs

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:53 am

Ok, thanks to Kaz, it looks like the videos in this thread are working again. Yay!

:nana:
Last edited by MikeInTacoma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:41 am, edited 33 times in total.
Reason: video now working

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:17 am

Hey, one person is actually trying to fix these videos! Thanks Mike. ;) Can you send me the codes when you have a chance, and a brief explanation on how to add them to the wording I already have? That way I can try to do it myself if I decide to post more.I really don't want to upload my videos on you tube or anywhere else.

Monokaryotic
Super Bully

Postby Monokaryotic » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:16 pm

You're supposed to let the dog bite down on the break stick correct, once you open the mouth and take the stick out, it can break teeth if it hits "teeth" on "teeth" correct?

MelissaJ
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby MelissaJ » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 am

pinkcow wrote:If there are two people available, I heard that taking dogs by their back legs or waist, each on one dog, and pulling them away from each other works. Does this work on pitbulls? If one has a bite hold on another would it let go or are you making that bite cause damage?

No..My dog has got in plenty of fights when he runs out the door and we tried his legs and the other dog's legs but it makes it worse because he just bites harder on the neck,water hose doesn't work either well at least not for my pit bull we grab a broom stick and put it between his teeth and it opens his mouth.That's the only thing that stops him.the broom stick.and yes you are causing damage to the other dog because when your dog is biting the neck and you pull the other dog away or yours he just goes in deeper and make it worse. if it does happen you can get put hydrogen peroxide water on it the wound after that get an aloe plant peel it and rub it on the wound make sure the juice is in the wound.that stops the infection and helps heal fast also if you have another dog around have it lick the wounds!

Return to “Training and Behavior”