Hi all! New to the board, could use some advice - ASAP! ...

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi all! New to the board, could use some advice - ASAP! ...

Postby L. Smith » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:29 am

I have been a bulldog fancier for years and lurked on this forum for a couple months. Very nice site :thumbsup: I don't have a bulldog but do have a 9 1/2 year old female (spayed) boxer named Betty. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on my dog's situation. (I have a call in to my vet but he hasn't got back to me yet.) Betty has the following symptoms: Recent weight loss, poor coordination and balance (sways when standing), does not seem to focus her vision well, incontinent last night -several times urinating in the house, when I go to pat her she almost flinches / shivers, she bumps into chairs, end tables, etc., has trouble getting on the bed (has to be carried), the inside eyelid? is about half way up her eye (normally don't see it). She doesn't step over things even when walking, her feet hit chair legs etc. Her feet are sliding out from under her when she tries to drink / eat from her bowls. Sorry for the rambling but I'm not thinking too straight. Betty has been an extremely spoiled and pampered house dog her whole life. She was an exceptional athlete, very obedient (we always got compliments) and very fit. It is sad to see her like this and I was hoping for an opinion until the vet calls back. Thanks for your time, Lewis
L. Smith

Postby Boo439 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:27 am

Welcome to the board! I'm sorry to hear of Betty's condition. It sounds like a neurological problem. Maybe a brain tumor? I know that brain tumors, depending on location, can affect vision, balance, coordination, etc. That's just from what I've heard. I would just get in to see a vet ASAP. Just a phone call isn't good enough, Betty needs to have tests done to determine what's wrong with her. Good luck and the pups and I will be hoping for the best...
Boo439

Postby L. Smith » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:50 am

Boo, thanks for the response. I just got off the phone with the vet. Talked with him for about 30 minutes. He is very familiar with Betty, and advised she has problems like you spoke of...sort of a doggie alzhiemers or tumor...either way, 6 mos is on the long end of life expectancy :sad: I am going to monitor her condition for the next few days and make the decision we all dread when we get that cute pup. Thanks again, Lewis
L. Smith

Postby PitBullPride » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:16 pm

Sorry to hear the bad news........ :sad:
PitBullPride

Postby Boo439 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:41 pm

Awww... I was hoping to give a worst case scenario and have you come back with better news. I am very sorry to hear. Tumors seem common in Boxers. Everyone I have ever known with one has lost it to a cancer of some sort. Make every day a special day with Betty. Give her extra hugs and treats. Take her for longer walks and cherish every moment. Once again, I am very sorry about the bad news. :frown:
Boo439

Postby moochesmama » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:56 pm

So sorry that your Betty is doing poorly.... :crybaby: You're right about that day we all dread...after going through the process with a few dogs, you just can't stop that thought from entering your mind when you meet your new dog/puppy. Give her lot's of attention and make sure she feels like she's still making you happy.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby lucydog » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:28 pm

Betty sounds like a great dog. I am so sorry about her illness.
lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mypitmika » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:32 pm

After I read your first post, I was really hoping that you'd repost with good news. I'm very sorry that Betty isn't doing so well. Like the other members here have said, make every moment special - keep letting her know she's still a great dog. Our hearts go out to you.
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jgotti » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:32 pm

i am very sorry to hear about your dog good luck :crybaby:
jgotti

Postby L. Smith » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Yep Boxers certainly don't live very long, or at least long enough. She is my third Boxer and has lived longer than the other two! Thanks again, Lewis
L. Smith

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:05 am

Welcome!

Sorry Betty isn't feeling well! Give her lots of Loving!
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby L. Smith » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:45 pm

Patch O' Pits, thanks and I sure will. Those pics are great :thumbsup:
L. Smith

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:31 pm

L. Smith wrote:Patch O' Pits, thanks and I sure will. Those pics are great :thumbsup:
Thanks! :)
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby X-girl » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:29 pm

Sorry to hear such bad news, L. I am hoping for the best for you and Betty.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby L. Smith » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 pm

Thank you, X.
L. Smith

Next

Return to Introductions