mange

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

mange

Postby Gxkon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:17 pm

my pup got the mange from our neighbors dog while they were playing the vet stuff isnt working does any one know if the borax remedy works i also read that 1/8 tsp per liter of water helps kill fleas and stop mange from inside out anyone
know if this is true or does antone know of any remedys that do work
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Re: mange

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:23 pm

the only mange that is contagious is sarcoptic.. does your dog have this? what did the vet say? it takes months to clear up mange, it doesnt clear up in a few days, you have to give the vet meds a chance to work. what did the vet give you for the mange?

NEVER use borax or motor oil.. that wont work and will kill your pup.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:28 pm

I would let the vet know it isn't working so they can try another medication. What did the vet put her on? And like ME said, you are going to have to give it time. It won't clear up overnight.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Gxkon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:40 pm

ivermectin been about a month said it was demodex its not real bad jus some spots on her chest but legs and back
there not real red but no hair has grown back and it looks to be gettin bigger
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Demodex isn't contagious so your pup didn't catch it from any other dog.
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Gxkon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:46 pm

i dont care were or how she got it i want to know how to get rid of it the vet is killing my pocket im laid off and so is my wife funds r getting slim im hopeing to find someone who knows what does work and works good a month of meds and no progress is not goin to get it
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:48 pm

unfortunately ivermectin is the ONLY thing that will kill the mange mites and it takes at least THREE months to get it to clear... there is no other way, no other faster way either.... a good food helps to, what are you feeding her? you can also use Goodwinol Shampoo to help kill the mange bites by bathing her in it..
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:49 pm

If what your vet gave you isn't working you need to go back to the vet for something different. If you can't afford the dog's vet bills...rehome it.

Why is there such an influx of this lately? Image
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Gxkon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 pm

its called a recession
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:54 pm

ivermectin shouldnt be that expensive by your area. here by me it is.. you are going to have to treat her for 3 months to ssee any improvements.. ( and i suggest if times are rough DONT get another dog ). all dogs are born with mange mites (humans have mites too) and they are activated when the dogs immune system is weak. by boosting the dogs immune system with good food, no stress and proper medication you can kill the mites but it takes time.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Gxkon wrote:its called a recession

No, it's not. It's called "I got a dog because I really didn't think I'd have to take it to a vet" syndrome.
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Gxkon wrote:i dont care were or how she got it i want to know how to get rid of it the vet is killing my pocket im laid off and so is my wife funds r getting slim im hopeing to find someone who knows what does work and works good a month of meds and no progress is not goin to get it

We just took in a Demodex pup who was dropped off at my vets. She is BAD, missing most of the hair on her whole front, secondary infections etc. She's a collaborative effort, my vet is chipping in, one of my employees is fostering and we are all figuring out where and how to chip in for the LONG and costly treatment. The Ivermectin is really the best route (or you could do dips, I prefer Ivermectin) but both take a long time.
One month seems like a long time, but it isn't in the grand scheme of things. The treatment seems like a lot, but isn't in the context of what you will spend over the dogs lifetime. There are no home remedies that will save you money in the long run. You CAN help her out by feeding a high quality food and supplementing with things like Salmon Oil to boost her immune system, but those things are extra money, not less.
Good luck to your pup. I know it is frustrating, but she needs you to stick with the treatment or she will end up looking like the pup I spoke of above.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gxkon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:02 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:
Gxkon wrote:its called a recession

No, it's not. It's called "I got a dog because I really didn't think I'd have to take it to a vet" syndrome.

before you get to talking trash you need to find out how the job market affects people just because you have a secure job if you have one dont mean jack. me and my wife are working class who got screwed because of people who dont know how to manage money, and put this country in a slump. me and my wife work in a ship yard and we got screwed for that reason. so before you open your mouth know your place. theirs alot of people tryin to save money were ever they can. walk the path millions of americans r walking right now before you add your 2 cents in. your best bet is not to comment on my posts theirs plenty of people that has read this and kept there mouth shut and plenty of people who know what im talking about .and have giveing good advise if you cant answer yes or no to the main question i asked or in any of my posts. keep your mouth shut i ask specific questions i want specific answers if you want to talk trash go some were else this aint the place.
im tired of the people in here that has something bad to say, or talks trash to make them feel better and make the person that puts up a post feel bad. your not goin to run me off. keep your bad talk to your self and let the people who got some good advise say what they have to say.
so ruffmutt if you can read you need to read this post again and shut your mouth and click the next post because what you said shows how stupid you are.i said i took my dog to a vet AND THE MEDS ARENT WORKING so get some glasses and dont post in my threads.
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby heartbullies » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 am

I had taken care of a dog that went through several rounds of Ivermectin treatment and it didn't work.

What eventually helped him but did not clear it up entirely was a raw diet, acupuncture, prescribed herbs, and misting him with various tinctures of fruits and herbs and a base of natural apple cider vinegar. This was certainly not any less expensive than Ivermectin but provided him some relief and some hair regrowth.

Your dog's parents or grandparents, or other relatives, might have also had demodex. Whoever bred your puppy might need a spanking for breeding these dogs!! I hope once your dog's condition is stable you get her spayed so that there will be fewer litters of pit bulls with poor immune systems. It sucks and can be very expensive, time-consuming, and sometimes will flare up throughout the rest of the life of the dog, because it's the dog's bad immune system that is at fault.
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:31 am

Gxkon wrote:i said i took my dog to a vet AND THE MEDS ARENT WORKING so get some glasses and dont post in my threads.

I can read, though your mangled posts are quite difficult to make out even for someone with a college degree. I read that you took your pup to the vet and the meds you were given aren't working to your satisfaction (though many posters have informed you that Ivermectin takes longer than 1 month to work). My reply was that if the meds aren't working to your satisfaction, that you need to go back to the vet to figure out something that does work for your pup. Your reply was something to the effect of you can't afford to take the pup back to the vet. My reply to that was if you can't afford the dog, you should rehome it. Then you got all defensive about how the economy took your jobs, blah, blah. This isn't about YOU. It's about your poor, suffering dog. A dog that deserves better than what you can give it right now. If you can't afford her treatment, the responsible thing to do would be to find someone that can. Not to ask for home remedies for an illness that you know nothing about (which was made clear by your total lack of knowledge or interest in whether Demodex is contagious).

Now, I will "shut my mouth" now and say a little prayer for your puppy (and your chihuahua) instead.
RuffMuttK9z

Next

Return to Health Issues