mange

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: mange

Postby Gxkon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:15 am

RuffMuttK9z wrote:
Gxkon wrote:i said i took my dog to a vet AND THE MEDS ARENT WORKING so get some glasses and dont post in my threads.

I can read, though your mangled posts are quite difficult to make out even for someone with a college degree. I read that you took your pup to the vet and the meds you were given aren't working to your satisfaction (though many posters have informed you that Ivermectin takes longer than 1 month to work). My reply was that if the meds aren't working to your satisfaction, that you need to go back to the vet to figure out something that does work for your pup. Your reply was something to the effect of you can't afford to take the pup back to the vet. My reply to that was if you can't afford the dog, you should rehome it. Then you got all defensive about how the economy took your jobs, blah, blah. This isn't about YOU. It's about your poor, suffering dog. A dog that deserves better than what you can give it right now. If you can't afford her treatment, the responsible thing to do would be to find someone that can. Not to ask for home remedies for an illness that you know nothing about (which was made clear by your total lack of knowledge or interest in whether Demodex is contagious).

Now, I will "shut my mouth" now and say a little prayer for your puppy (and your chihuahua) instead.

yeah you do that and stay off my posts
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby Gxkon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:18 am

goin to a diffrent vet today let yall know whats up neighbor said it wasnt mange goin to get a second opinion
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:38 am

Because your neighbor DEFINITELY knows more than the average veterinarian.

A second opinion is always OK... but mange is extremely common in young dogs, especially pit bulls.

The treatment of choice is ivermectin, although some people are stingy with it and don't use high enough doses because overdose can cause seizures/death. In the cases I've treated, it took a minimum of 4 weeks to see improvement, my easiest case was cured in 10 weeks... it can often take much longer than that.

Is your dog spayed/neutered??? If not, that can also have a big effect.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 am

Gxkon wrote:yeah you do that and stay off my posts

lol Seriously? How old are you? Wait, don't answer that...
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Leslie H » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Thank you Misskiwi for stepping in.
For the rest of you, please stop sniping at each other.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123112

You don't have the money to treat your dog for mange, but you want to purchase a new dog???
jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Gxkon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:44 pm

if you can read my other posts you will see i want another dog next year next year next year a good 7 or 8 months from now
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby Gxkon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 pm

great news her case is not that bad the vet said use neem and antibiotics and it should go away in a month
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:08 pm

Gxkon wrote:if you can read my other posts you will see i want another dog next year next year next year a good 7 or 8 months from now

Oh well that changes everything..... ...
jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Gxkon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:52 pm

UPDATE
my kilo is doin better hair is slowly comein back i got her on agri-mectin paste now lot better than injections im still gettin some pic up asap thanx for the help and all the info i have been givein
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby MIDNIGHT » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:57 am

what did you use to cure ...the mange??
MIDNIGHT
Newborn Bully

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 am

Good news. How is Midnights mange coming along? What are you using on it?
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gxkon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 am

Just in case someone comes across this looking up mange. I had a blue apbt, that had a real bad genetic demodex outbreak. the vet gave my dog miteacide and it cleared in less than a month. She told me she didn't like the ivermectin because of some possible long term health issues. I just called the vet and asked what the medication was. The told me miteacide is something they get paid to sell, so can anyone confirm the ivermectin statement. His mange was so bad i was considering putting him down. After the meds He got all of his fur back and is doing great.

Google that ish!!!!!!!!!!
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Do you mean mitaban (active ingredient amitraz)?
It's another common treatment for mange. Other than marking it up like any other product, vets don't get any particular benefit from selling it.

Amitraz and ivermectin can both have side effects at the doses used against demodex.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Gxkon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:24 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:Do you mean mitaban (active ingredient amitraz)?
It's another common treatment for mange. Other than marking it up like any other product, vets don't get any particular benefit from selling it.

Amitraz and ivermectin can both have side effects at the doses used against demodex.

That might be it but the lady on the phone spelled it the way i typed it and said the vet gets paid to push it. But it sure worked good elway grew all of his hair back.

Google that ish!!!!!!!!!!
Gxkon
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues