Worn pads

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Worn pads

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

So I took Stella for her first bike ride this morning. She did wonderfully. Was mindful of the bike and stayed at a nice steady trot next to it. No fear (surprisingly) and really seemed to like.

Being that it was her first time, I only took her out for 10-15min, and we only went at a moderate trotting pace. She gets long, fast paced walks all the time on concrete and her pads are nice and calloused.

So anywho, things went well, we got back home, no problems. She ran around in the yard like a maniac with my other dog for a good 2 hours or more. Layed out in sun, the usual stuff.

I call them in and notice she's limping just slightly. Well it turns out that on both her front and back left paw, there are dime sized "flaps" of skin hanging from her large pads and very tender, pink (her pads are black) skin underneath.

I feel horrible. I thought we took it easy, and she showed zero signs of pain until several hours after the fact (typical bully!)

So here are my questions:

1) Besides the obvious of minimal exercise until she heals, what else can I do to sooth the areas and help her heal faster?
2) What can I do in the future to prevent this from happening? I would hate to give up biking all together. She absolutely loved it and it's such a great way to burn energy.

Thanks guys :)
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Re: Worn pads

Postby Leslie H » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:06 pm

I've heard Musher's Secret recommended a number of times to help protect pads. If her pads are that delicate, perhaps you want to consider boots.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby InBearsMemory » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:13 pm

If you can purchase mushers secret locally or order it online and have it within a few days that's what I would go with and put a nice big goop of it right on the bad spots. It will take a while for it to heal completely but at least it won't be as uncomfortable for the dog. I would also refrain from walking on any surface other than grass until it is semi healed.
It takes a while to build up a dog pads to withstand normal running on asphalt but it is always wise to apply a little of the mushers secret beforehand and immediately after the run.
InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby MikeZev » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:53 pm

i've run my dog a lot on asphalt/concrete and had this happen a couple times. they heal very quickly. i've never used mushers secret but from what i understand i dont think its supposed to help this type of thing.
MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby HollyJoy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm

Mushers secret was recommended to us by some folks at a lure coursing event. You can also get Bag Balm (udder cream) at most pharmacies, and I've seen them in big name pet stores for cheaper actually. Bag Balm is the shizzle, i use it on my dogs and as super heavy duty lotion for myself. http://www.bagbalm.com/

While the blister is healing, you want to make sure the pad stays supple and soft -- by using a product like the aforementioned. If you don't keep the pad soft, it may keep cracking. We do biking as well and have had blisters before. You want to check the pads often when you're new to it, and walk home if they start to crack or blister. No more biking until it's fully healed, or you could re-open it.
Once it's fully healed you can still use the products in a thin layer. You want your dogs to build up their asphalt feet slowly. Or you can stick to dirt / grass trails if you prefer.
HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby InBearsMemory » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:42 pm

MikeZev wrote:i've run my dog a lot on asphalt/concrete and had this happen a couple times. they heal very quickly. i've never used mushers secret but from what i understand i dont think its supposed to help this type of thing.

Mushers secret is awesome not only as a preventative for injuries to the pads but also for woundcare on the pads. Since it is all natural wax it will cover a wound nicely, slow down and stop bleeding and prevent dirt from getting deeper in there. It will also help moisturize and soften the pads to prevent them from taking more damage. You can use it for all sorts of environments, hot pavement, sand, snow, salt covered surfaces, or even rocky surfaces (sharp rocks throughout a hiking trip can cut a dogs pads like shards of glass).
InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby bizzo518 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:53 pm

this stuff rocks for many purposes!

chaffed belly, worn pads....dry skin, and its great for winter time!

bizzo518
Newborn Bully

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll see if they have Bag Balm at our local pharmacy.

I don't think there will be any problem keeping her walking to a minimum... poor thing hardly wants to get off the couch. I feel horrible. :(

I didn't think she had sensitive pads. Like I said, she's walked at a brisk pace all the time on concrete/asphalt and her pads have always been thick and "calloused". I guess the biking, as short as it was, was a bit too much.

Live and learn!

Thanks again.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:43 am

I'm going to pick up the Bag Balm in a bit. They have it at Walgreens down the street.

Quick question, is it ok for her to lick it off a bit? She hasn't been licking her paws incessantly, but she is licking them on occasion.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:09 am

WackyJacki wrote:I'm going to pick up the Bag Balm in a bit. They have it at Walgreens down the street.

Quick question, is it ok for her to lick it off a bit? She hasn't been licking her paws incessantly, but she is licking them on occasion.

Shouldn't be a problem if she licks it. Bag balm is similar to vaseline.
InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:42 pm

The licking is fine unless she soaks them which will soften them.

Arnold has SOFT pads. I have been through the ringer with him trying everything.

Tuffoot is a GREAT product. I highly recommend it. Mushers wax is good as well (I have them both) but I think tuffoot works bette rlong term and better on concret where as the wax works better on organic surfaces.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby dr961 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Adrianne wrote:Tuffoot is a GREAT product. I highly recommend it. Mushers wax is good as well (I have them both) but I think tuffoot works better long term and better on concrete where as the wax works better on organic surfaces.

I agree about Tuff-foot, it's a great product to use on dog's pads. It's been around for many years and lots of racing and hunting dog people use it with good results.
dr961
Super Bully

Postby Beowulf » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:37 pm

Hey Jacki, sorry to jack your post, but I'm dealing with exactly the same thing. Beo was running in the yard on Tuesday and sliced one of the pads on his back foot really bad. It looks kind of like a peeled tennis ball, with the flap of skin hanging like you mentioned. I put bag balm on it and wrapped it for the last two nights, but of course he gnawed the bandage off. NOW, the skin underneath is healing but the flap of skin appears to be dead, like a burst blister. Should I cut it off? Or just let it hang until it falls off? :dunno: He's walking normally, not limping at all anymore.
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:52 pm

As for the dead skin I would let the dog chew it off or wait til it falls off on its own.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:08 am

Stella had a dime sized flap too on one of the pads. She just gnawed it off.

It'll just fall off on it's own eventually if the dog doesn't chew it off.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues