Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jazmins mama
Newborn Bully

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby jazmins mama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:22 pm

i feed my girls Taste Of the Wild..i switch between the bison/venison and the roasted fowl formulas,iv tryed pretty much all the other foods within 40-60$ a bag and high quality this is the best so far imo.

Sandwich
Newborn Bully

Postby Sandwich » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:23 am

good morning guys (and girls).. I don't post here much but the dog is sick and i need a little advice. I was running really low on food recently (Timberwolf dakota bison flavor) and in a pinch i bought some blue buffalo from Petsmart. I chose that because I was just coming home from vacation picking him up from the pethotel and i forgot how little food i had left so i had to get something. The timberwolf has been so hard to get in the past couple months, I really have to get him off of it anyway just for that reason. Needless to say, He's not doing well on the blue buffalo.. omg, came home to a kennel full of nasty. :yucky:

is there any food i can give him that is similar to the timberwolf, that maybe won't make him AS sick? he's getting boiled rice tonight because i have a feeling i'm going to come home to another mess. I understand this is my fault for not correctly switching foods but what else can i do right now to ease his stomach?

rsemrau2
Newborn Bully

Postby rsemrau2 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Hello everybody! I recently switched Gotti to Wellness Super5Mix and he is doing great on it! The first couple of days he had runny poop but he has been doing great on it. I have not noticed any difference in his coat or health but I really think it is making a difference. I found out about wellness from this site-

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

This is a great site with reviews of all the dog food you can imagine. It is very detailed and accurate giving you percentages of ingredients and a review of the food. If any of you have problems with food I suggest looking here.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

We have recently switched to Orijen. Both dogs are doing fantastic on in. Some of the previously mentioned had undesirable effects. I stumbled on this by accident and the dogs love it and are shiny and happy without gas or runny bums. Lord knows I have tried about everything else for the allergy ridden older dog. He has zero hot spots and itches waaaaaay less :nana: HUGE bonus!!!! Of course he still scratches some as dust and pollen are part of what ails him

Harley
Newborn Bully

Postby Harley » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Hey guys how have you all been? I have a question my boy is sick again ( Auto-immune ) and it seem the only time he gets better is when I start making him food. (Boiled chicken seared steak just to kill any bacteria steam broccoli , Carrots , red peppers). So here goes my 2 part question.

1- I just picked up some Timber wolf - black Forrest to add some crunch and any vitamins he is missing in the food . The guy in the pet store that "taste of the wild " kibble is just as good if not better than timber wolf IS THIS TRUE ?

2- I want to keep feeding home made meals were can I buy good quality kelp as I see alot of you guys feed your children ?

PS anything extra other than muscle meats that I can feed him to help replenish his muscles before he withers away to nothing

Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 am

So what is the current verdict on the best food besides raw that is.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Midniteblack wrote:So what is the current verdict on the best food besides raw that is.

There's still no verdict :)
It really depends on a combination of factors: your budget, your dog's needs and any special circumstances like allergies or other medical conditions. Most kibbles that people do recommend in the multitude food threads are good but it's still trial and error with each individual dog – there's even a thread right now about dog's doing poorly on highly rated kibble.

Harley
Newborn Bully

Postby Harley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm not the guru on this but a seemingly knowledgeable guy working in a pet store I buy food in suggested Innova.

Here was his point when buying food if the main ingredients are straight meats they need to be dhydrated before being able to be processed and combined with the other ingredients to make kibble. I understood that then he stated a something I didnt real agree with that meal is actually a better protein source than meat . His reasoning was simple meal is a protein concentrate added to the kibble. Therefore if the 1st ingredient is per say Venison and the second ingredient is venison meal the food has a better protein consistency . Weather this is true or not I leave up to the scientist what I can say is I just bought the black forest timber wold and the ingredients didnt make me think wow this kibble stand s out from the rest.

So I would like to hear some thoughts on this Meat & meal also I would like some timberwolf people to chime in please

PS any BARF feeders please help me come up with a variety of foods I'm feeding harley steak seared w/ brocilli , 2 table spoons of cottage chese and a little whole grain brown rice some times adding boiled chicken breast.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:39 pm

some dogs do better on high quality, some on cooked, some raw, some not so great food. it depends on the dog. if your dog does really well on cooked there are a ton of books to get on how to home cook for your dog to make sure he gets the proper nutrients. i have one dog here who does chocolate on high quality foods, i just got pro plan sensitive stomach/skin and she is doing good on it so far , its not what i would like to feed,but after trying all the high quality foods and seeing how poor she did i decided to try something not as high quality. so far so good. once you find something that works - if it aint broke dont fix it..

hooligan777
Newborn Bully

Postby hooligan777 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:35 pm

I feed my crew Taste of the Wild. They really seem to love it and it actually smells like whats in it i.e. fish with the Salmon one and meat with the others. They have healthier coats and seem more energetic (which can be quite dangerous lol )and of course, the poops aren't as smelly :thumbsup:
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Harley
Newborn Bully

Postby Harley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the input

apbtdog1
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby apbtdog1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:21 pm

racheroonie wrote:I'm surprised at reading this that so many people dislike Nutro. I've had my dogs on Natural choice for so long now.

But here's the issue... with my schnauzer and yorkie, a few months back... they were barfing up yellowy liquids. On the consumer affairs website, most of the owners complained about this. We never really thought it was the food and switched off it.

Now again, we're on it for my puppy pit. They do not barf at all and they love it and we're doing well on it. But, I think I might switch... probably to Wellness.

I would agree i fed Nutro "Natural Choice & Ultra" for a long time never seen yellow puke but once i guess that was all it took though My buddy "Pete" (4years) got pancreatitus about a month and a half ago. He was puking at first took him to the vet that wednesday and the vet gave hime something for nausea the next day he was still puking i took him back and they did blood work determined he had pancreatitus hospitalized him friday til monday they put him on Science diet I.P. formula for three days three cans a days for three days. I asked the vet what i should start feeding him or stop feeding him. He asked "do you feed him table scraps?" No of course not i said so he said " we will worry about changing his diet if he relapse" but i don't want him to relapse ya know? I study about lots of different dog foods all the time and like to think i know how to read a ingredients label but maybe i don''t as well as i'd like to! Since then i have switched my dogs to Taste of Wild for a little while & now to Blue Buffalo-Life protection Formula wich is a little more expensive wich cost doesnt matter when it comes to my babies. I am trying to figure out what/which commercial dog foof to feed my babies though. The one one that got pancreatitus is 4yrs. i got another male that is ! 1/2 yrs. and a 3 year old female the female and the 1 1/2 year old male have never had any problems on Nutro. I don't know if the dog food led to pancreatitus in my 4year old or what but i always thouht Nutro was a better than average dog food. I would like some opinions on what to feed my babies though. I don't wanna feed raw i am scared i won't be able to fullfill all of thier needs as far as what vitamins and nutrients they need that way. Any input would be greatly appreciated

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about Verus dog food??

SweetTea
Matured Bully

Postby SweetTea » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:16 pm

I have fed Natural balance, Wellness, Nutro Natural Choice, Bil-Jac, California natural, Canidae ALS, and EVO.

Did away with the nutro and bil-jac after finding out they are crap. I loved loved loved the results of my 3 yr old husky on Canidae but then they changed the formula and added more grains/fillers so I switched her to EVO large bites and she is doing amazing on it. She has very firm, small stools and only poops once a day. Also only have to feed her 1 1/2 cups a day and she maintains a trim 45 lb figure. Her coat is very soft and silky and stays a perfect white.

Fed foster GSDs with sensitive stomachs Cal Natural but it didn't help at all.

I was happy with how shiny Wellness made my GSD and foster's coats but the dogs always had soft stools. I recently switched my GSD to Natural Balance sweet potato and fish and his stools have firmed up immediately. I couldn't be happier! I've fed Natural Balance in the past with fosters and have always had good results. So EVO and NB are my current faves.

I would love to try Orijen out one day.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:12 am

Hi there.

I have been feeding my dogs Science Diet Mature for the last few years, one is a 13yr old pit/lab mix the other is a 10 yr old pit. I also have a 5 and a half month old pit puppy who has been eating the Science Diet Puppy formula.

The puppy doesn't seem to be eating as much as she should, I usually feed her 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 at night. She never usually finishes. After reading the majority of this thread, I am ready to make a switch. I can't do barf but I did find a store that carries Timberwolf by us. My question is if it is ok to feed the puppy the same food as the older dogs or do they need a different blend? What Timberwolf blend would be good for the 3 if so?

And am I correct that the food does not need to be blended and weened? How much should I feed the puppy compared to the adults? The puppy is about 35lbs and almost 6 months old.

Return to “Health Issues”