Swichting to adult food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Swichting to adult food

Postby shella677 » Mon May 17, 2004 1:32 pm

I've always went by the book and switched puppies to adult food around 1 year. But I was wondering if it was necessary and what all you did w/ your pups. Ace has a very very sensitive stomach. We had a cook out and someone that didnt know Ace gets nothing but dog food fed him a hot dog, the next morning Ace was so sick, coming out of both ends. So when I do change its going to be a slooow process, probably instead of 2 weeks, maybe a month of mixing the new with the old??
shella677

Postby concreterose » Mon May 17, 2004 1:49 pm

What kind of food do you use? With a life stage formula like Canidae, you don't have to switch at all. If you aren't using a life stage formula, you are generally going from more protein and fat to less from puppy to adult. It seems like the switch wouldn't really upset them.

Hot dogs are REALLY gross...lots of by products and other crap in them...I'm not surprised he would get sick :yucky:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon May 17, 2004 3:38 pm

Usually adult formulas are the same as the puppy formulas protein wise. If he's that sensitive I would stick with what ever protein is in the puppy food(chicken, lamb, beef etc.). I have always had my pups(the ones that got puppy food anyway) off puppy food by 4 months. They don't have much of an "up" growth spurt passed 5 months, they fill out till they are about 2 yrs. Puppy food won't make that much difference since genetics will dictate his adult height and over all structure(conformation). With the formulation being similar you shouldn't have to worry about a slow switch.

Poor guy. Shoulda called them over to clean up the mess. Bet they wouldn't forget again.

My dogs don't have sensitive stomachs and they don't get hotdogs. They would end up blowing out too.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues