Help with super cruddy eyes...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Help with super cruddy eyes...

Postby moto1320 » Mon May 17, 2004 4:59 pm

We have a Rottie at the garage. He lives there and I take him out and brush him and clean his eyes every day before I leave and he starts his patrol. He's an old man, pushing 11 and his eyes get soooo cruddy. The problem is that the stuff dries hard and sharp so cleaning without poking him in the eye is a problem, especially because he will bite you if you do. It gets worse at this time of year. Is there a eye friendly solution I can buy or make to soften/remove this stuff. The only time it all goes is during a bath because it softens over the course. Poor old boy can barely see through the gunk today.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Mon May 17, 2004 8:33 pm

Do you think he has allergies?
Just use some regular saline solution. You can even squirt it around his eyes out of the bottle without touching him directly.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby sam » Mon May 17, 2004 8:57 pm

If he'll let you just take a warm wet washcloth and old it against his eyes. It'll work like the bath dogs, and most dogs seem to really enjoy getting it done.

If it is really dusty where he is living he could have conjunctivitis (caused by dirt/dust getting into their eyes and bothering them). The vet can perscribe medicine for it, and it's pretty cheap.
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby moto1320 » Mon May 17, 2004 9:49 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try the saline. I do the warm washcloth, it just takes far too long to penetrate all of that gunk. The environment is very dusty, the main problem he has is "old as dirt-itus." There are several vet friends that enjoy benefits in the shop by taking care of his medical. I just need something to keep him clean and comfy. I don't expect him to live too much longer.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Thu May 20, 2004 10:54 pm

Moto,
That video you have is HILARIOUS! I busted out laughing when I saw it. Oh the embarrassment.................Godddddddd.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Thu May 20, 2004 11:37 pm

roflmao I know, wish I knew who it was.....
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues