Springpole help?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Springpole help?

Postby N2K » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:38 am

Not sure if it goes here.

We have a big tree in the backyard now and there was a punching bag hung from the previous renters. So I am sure the branch is strong enough for my two to hang.

Well I hung their tug rope there and to my surprise they saw it as a punishment. lol

Roxy would try and give up after two jumps. Kane will stand on his hind legs then give up. They both end up going in a down position looking up at me. The only one that tries is the puppy, he is still not strong enough to lift off the ground. lol

Anyone know a good way to get them interested?

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Re: Springpole help?

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:46 am

Lower it so they aren't jumping to get it and grab it, swing it around and try to get them to play tug with you on the other end, act really excited, get them all amped up and then they should get the idea. Some dogs don't like toys without people interaction though, my male loves the springpole and my female could care less unless I am tugging it for her.

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 am

Kane can reach it when he stands and Roxy is only a bit shorter then hey. When she jumps she can touch the top of he tug toy. I act like I am holding it up in the air for her to jump and grab it like usual. As soon as they realize I am not holding it they give up.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:35 am

Add a panic snap to your springpole setup and attach your toy, tug or what have you using a piece of nylon climbing rope with a loop on one end. Clip that loop into the panic snap and close it up. That way you can immediately release the toy once your dog gets going and your dog can "win" the toy as a reward accompanied by lots of praise. It is also a great safety back up should your dog get hooked on the bite toy somehow.

Return to “Training and Behavior”