Poison Ivy/Oak?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Poison Ivy/Oak?

Postby whiskeyman » Mon May 17, 2004 8:37 pm

Does anyone know if it possible for a dog to get either?
The reason I'm asking is: I weedeated around my yard a few days ago, I cut down a bunch of poison oak and poison ivy. I got it all over my legs so I know it was there. My dog's were playing in the area a few hours later and now all three and welps (small blisters) on their heads and forelegs. They have been scratching a lot also.

I can't think of anything else that would have cause these welps. I've not changed their food nor have they been anywhere where they might have gotten into something else.

later :headbang:
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby moto1320 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:43 pm

I don't know if they can get it, but I do know that their fur can/will pick up the oils and continue to smear that nasty stuff all over your house, you, bed, etc.
Keep em out of it. I hate Poison Ivy....grumble grumble. That stuff is everywhere around here too.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:52 pm

I'd say if we can get it, so can they. Call your vet and ask to make sure. I would think they could though.
jmann4

Postby gooeydog » Tue May 18, 2004 2:28 am

I'm not 100% sure either way, but last summer, one of our other dogs (not an APBT) got a rash on her belly, and by the next day (she's small, so I'd picked her up several times by then), I noticed a similar looking rash on my arm where she'd been sitting when I picked her up. The rash was definitely poision ivy, and looking at hers, they were identicle. So, given my own experience, I'd guess that some can get poison ivy, though I don't have any real evidence aside from that.

The stuff on my dog looked like poison ivy, had the little heads and all. If your dogs' doesn't resemble it, maybe it's just irritation from running through the bushes, or a contact allergy.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby whiskeyman » Tue May 18, 2004 7:16 pm

The bumps on my dogs are starting to go down a but, as are the ones on my legs as well. This further leads me to believe that it is poison oak/ivy.

The rash looks very much like mine.

I tried to call my vet but he was out for a few days. I called another vet and they said it was ususual but not completely unheard of. They sounded very unsure of themselves with that answer though. I then asked in benadryl would help and their answer was um umm.. probably not. So I'm picking up some tonight, see if it stops the itching. If it doesn't my vet will be back in town wednesday.

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Return to Health Issues