Hello! New to Pit Bulls and forum!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello! New to Pit Bulls and forum!

Postby jkd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:11 am

Hello everyone my name is Jared

i am currently considering a pit bull puppy

i have a friend who has a litter of puppys, she is saleing them for $150 each..

they are some great looking pups - very healthy

i have some questions before getting one

accually one really DUMB one : Can a pit bull live outside? i thought that could...

BUT i read on realpitbull.com that one of the best reasons NOT to get a pitbull
- You Want An Outside Dog

i live in Tennessee its a pretty good weather state
spring will be here soon

UNLESS i read that wrong, they are saying that pitbulls arent for outside?

the pups are 6 weeks old and we have another good 6 weeks till warm weather

now ANOTHER question is: inside the house we have several of cats .... will the puppy and cats be OK together for just a few weeks until a nice cage is built outside?

what is a proper age for a puppy to be comfortable outside?

i appricate all the comments and suggestions

and im glad to meet yall :)
jkd

Postby voodoopitbull » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:19 am

:welcome:

I'm sure your friend has nice pups but check this website out and make sure you really want to purchase a dog from him: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/NoPuppyMi ... eder_.html

Can a pit bull live outside? i thought that could

I personally would not leave a pit bull outside. They theft rate for an APBT is very high. APBTs are not just dogs you can leave outside. They require a great deal of human interaction as well as physical and mental stimulation. They are not content to sit outside in a kennel or chained all day long. Southern winters and summers can be brutal. We rarely have sunny, 60F days. APBTs have short coats that cannot withstand very cold temperatures so unless you're willing to provide a very good living area (can be costly), outside living is not an options for pit bulls. If your dog HAS to live outside, look here: http://www.workingpitbull.com/Q&A.htm#housing

Pit bulls can get along with cats if properly socialized and introduced.

Remember to socialize your APBT like CRAZY. And spay/neuter. :))
voodoopitbull

Postby Bonnie72 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:28 am

:welcome:
Bonnie72

Postby Boo439 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:42 am

Welcome to the board!! voodoo gave you some very good information. If you want an outside dog, a pit bull isn't for you. They need to be inside with their families. They are too people-pleasing to be happy outside all the time. Most of the time when you read stories of pit bull attacks, the attacking dog lived outside. It is rarely an indoor, loving family pit bull that attacks.
Boo439

Postby jkd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:43 am

wow thanks for the welcome

voodoopitbull thanks for the response! very helpful

theft here will NOT be a problem NOR will socialization

i'm more concerned what kind of ?kennel? to build...

money is NOT a concern and if at all possible id like to build a nice place outside

there is someone awake always... and this is a very loving family - redecuolusly loving at times :))

what kind of house would need to be built to keep the insides cool?
jkd

Postby Boo439 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:50 am

Why is it that you want a dog but do not want it to live inside with you?
Boo439

Postby jkd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:59 am

Boo439 wrote:Why is it that you want a dog but do not want it to live inside with you?

i live with my parents, and they dont want a "big" dog inside of the house
jkd

Postby Boo439 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:05 am

Then why not wait until you get a place of your own that allows pit bulls. Dogs in shelters start with a person who gets a dog. He lives at home and his parents aren't too keen on the idea. After a while, the puppy loses its luster. Mom and dad get sick of the smell, or the barking, or the whining and make the son get rid of the dog. There goes another pit bull to the shelter...

You would be much better off waiting until you are in a situation where you are not living under anyone elses rules. Why not volunteer at a shelter? They always need dog walkers. That way you can get your doggie fix and it will bring you closer to the time when you can be on your own.

Your situation just sounds like a problem waiting to happen, to me... We've all heard it before on this board. We get many members who get a dog who live at home and then all of a sudden the dog is a problem and the person who had it is scrambling to find another home for it...
Boo439

Postby jkd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:23 am

Boo439 wrote:Then why not wait until you get a place of your own that allows pit bulls. Dogs in shelters start with a person who gets a dog. He lives at home and his parents aren't too keen on the idea. After a while, the puppy loses its luster. Mom and dad get sick of the smell, or the barking, or the whining and make the son get rid of the dog. There goes another pit bull to the shelter...

You would be much better off waiting until you are in a situation where you are not living under anyone elses rules. Why not volunteer at a shelter? They always need dog walkers. That way you can get your doggie fix and it will bring you closer to the time when you can be on your own.

Your situation just sounds like a problem waiting to happen, to me... We've all heard it before on this board. We get many members who get a dog who live at home and then all of a sudden the dog is a problem and the person who had it is scrambling to find another home for it...

I asked questions about outdoor housing, not an evaluation of my life.
jkd

Postby blover27 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:28 am

oy :roll:
blover27

Postby voodoopitbull » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:31 am

Don't get defensive, jkd. Boo and many other pit lovers here are just concerned about the dog (not meaning you're a bad owner).

Outdoor life isn't a very good one for a human-oriented breed like an APBT. Unless you're willing to come home every day after work (assuming you do work) instead of going out with your friends and having a good time so you can pick up poop in the sweltering summers or freezing winters, play with the dog, run the dog, sit with the dog, train the dog, pay scads of vet bills, socialize the dog and love the dog....then a pit bull is not for you. Dog ownership isn't taking care of their needs when we have the time but when we DON'T have the time (if that makes sense).

Really consider waiting to get an APBT when you have your own place and can take care of your dog without your parent's telling you how you should.
voodoopitbull

Postby Boo439 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:32 am

Thanks voodoo. I'm done here. Seems like too many new members don't like being given good advice...
Boo439

Postby jkd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:35 am

Accually the decisions are left up to me, not parents

I don't do the "bar scene", I am an Engineering Student and a Business Owner... I run my business out of this house and am always here so time would not be a problem.

There is plenty of time for the dog, but if a Pitbull is not an outside dog...then its not for me.
jkd

Postby jkd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:39 am

Boo439 wrote:Thanks voodoo. I'm done here. Seems like too many new members don't like being given good advice...

Sorry Boo, if i offended you that was not my intent.
I just felt as if i were being jumped by you hinting that I would be a "bad" dog owner.
jkd

Postby voodoopitbull » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:43 am

jkd wrote:There is plenty of time for the dog, but if a Pitbull is not an outside dog...then its not for me.

Maybe you and your parents can both come to a compromise on a dog you both would like. Good luck!
voodoopitbull

Next

Return to Introductions