Old Gimpy dogs r us? New arrival!!!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Old Gimpy dogs r us? New arrival!!!

Postby violet » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Well..about a week and a half ago some time I saw a posting on CL about a stray dog. She was an older dog..she showed up at someones place of work..they were begging for help.She was really cute. It made me sad. I ignored it. Then last week on Thursday I got an email from someone else who had worked at the same place begging for help. The boss had called animal control. Now the dog was in serious jeopardy because she has a bad knee. She was never going to make it to the adoption floor. Half an hour later I got an email from another rescue about teh same dog..anything I could do? So..I contacted teh good sam that contacted me..asked a few questions and promised to call AC and see what they had to say about her. Well..I called..and they gushed. Apparently the dog is a complete doll. Not to mention adorable. However, she has a grade 3 to 4 luxated patella and she is obese. Ok..i told them let me think about it..and i sent the plea out to Karladaune. (I know who to sucker) I told her everything i knew..and she too wanted to think about it. And we both came to the same conclusion...the poor older dog needed at least a chance. By noon on Tuesday, AC had tracked down her owner..in jail. They are going to be there for awhile..so they tearfully gave verbal consent for the dog to be sent to rescue..and I went down and picked her up yesterday.

This dog is just the sweetest. she is SUCH a good girl. Even in the chaos and hubbub of the shelter she was unflappable. And when her leash was handed over to me she hopped right into my van (and right into shotgun position) for teh ride home. She is super easy going. Not fond of the whole crate thing but will learn. Apparently lived with cats and a chihuahua. She may need surgery downline but right now we are putting her on supplements and getting the excess weight off of her. Judging from her overall condition, she has probably had that bad knee for a LONG time. It doesn't slow her down, she just walks funny. lol this is a super dog. She really is a complete gem. I look forward to giving you guys lots of updates. Without further ado, here is Sky-Belle. Who will be Annabelle. (she could REALLY use a sponsor!!)
"im in..lets go!"
Mind you..this was a half hour ride she spent exactly like that lol
durty moo cow dog

HUGE thanks Karla for making room!
violet
Addicted to PBF

Re: Old Gimpy dogs r us? New arrival!!!

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:57 pm

And yet again I :bowdown: and give thanks that there are people like you and Karladune out there giving the whole WORLD hope. Annabelle is a beautiful girl and someone will be blessed to share their life with her.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:58 pm

She's beautiful! I'm sorry if you said, I may have missed it, but how old do you think she is?

Thanks so much for giving that beautiful gal a chance!
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:09 pm

We think she is around 8? I asked the shelter to see if they could get any more info from her previous owner. She could easily be closer to 10. She just has the sweetest personality. :inlove: I wuv her already.
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 am

Well, Poor SkyBelle had to go see the vet today already. She was shaking her head a bit on Thursday..worse yesterday. And she has a raging ear infection. No yeast though so hopefully she isn't allergy prone. Positive thoughts for quickly healed ears!
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kirstan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Call me later - 206.795.7645. We'll figure out something for sponsorship.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby merriterrier » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Aww, what a sweetie! Love her smile!
Thank goodness for angels like you and karladuane! I love to see old dogs get a shot at a new life. :thumbsup:
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Oh I hope her ear infection clears up quick! She is gorgeous. Good luck pretty girl!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby karladaune » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:29 pm

She is a sweet, sweet, SWEET dog....give her a couch cushion to lay on and she wont move for 2 hours. She met kitties at the feed store, totally ignored them. She met a few dogs, totally ignored them, too. She has met my Leeroy, as well as my pug (Noke)...and guess what? She ignored them as well! lol. Of course, little miss mellow also has ZERO interest in any toys, either. We are going on short walks (about 10 minutes each) around the neighborhood a couple times a day, because anything longer really seems to irritate her knee. I'm also trying to find someplace she can go swimming for a somewhat reasonable price. I found someone I thought would work, but apparently the big bad pit bull scares her. *sigh*

She had a half-assed bath yesterday because she needed it desperately. She wouldnt let me put cotton in her ears, so I just avoided her head entirely. While she wasnt exactly fond of the bath, she listened quite well and didnt give me any fuss whatsoever. She also hasnt fussed at all with her daily ear cleaning, or topical antibiotic, even though I know it hurts her.

She seems to have a bit of separation anxiety, and I dont blame her. She seems to NEED to see people, so I've set up a second crate in the living room so she can be out with us when she can't be out LOOSE with us (I don't trust my Sophia around her at all.) I made the mistake of leaving her in my newly remodeled first bedroom, out of the crate while she ate, and she decided to shred the wall at the door frame. Oops..good thing my better half is quite handy around the house!

I will try to get some more pics of her in the next couple days...she is such a pretty thing!
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Awww, what a darling! I'm so glad she has guardian angels looking out for her! :inlove:
littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:00 am

what a sweetie, I am glad she is getting a second chance.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:13 am

Karla, if you are coming this way any time this week, let me know. You could just swing by here and we can get some pics! Give my girlfriend a smooch from me!
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby karladaune » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 am

Vi - busy, busy week ahead...but I might be able to meander out that way sometime. I'll let ya know later today.

This morning, I let her out to go potty without realizing that my pug had snuck out of my room (previous visits have been on neutral territory, and on leashes) - Noke kinda bum rushed....and Sky licked her head. lol lol They ran off into the backyard like long lost buddies, with me following behind. Noke showed her all the finer parts of the yard (including Lily and Ralph's kennel, which they DID NOT like.) This was the first time that Sky wandered more than about 5 feet from either my boyfriend or myself and she seemed to be thoroughly enjoying it. She came back in, and we sat on the couch for a bit (such a bad influence I am) and then we went back into the dog room, where she very patiently allowed me to give me her ear meds....and dutifully entered her kennel afterwards, without me requesting it of her. She is so awesome, and deserves to spend the rest of her days pampered like the princess she is.
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby violet » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 am

you are obviously feeling like I am about her. Faults and all she was SO worth the save. :inlove:
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby karladaune » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:52 pm

ok, so I'm thinking that two days of geyser butt has helped get a wee bit of the weight off of Sky-belle. Poor thing has had a bit of a hard time adjusting to her antibiotics, but she seems to be doing better after a few treats of yogurts (which she LOVES.)

She finally met Sophia today...after a very long discussion with my boyfriend about my plan for this particular walk on neutral territory. See, Leeroy is pretty good with mellow dogs. I didnt have to do a whole lot of explaining when they met...he sniffed her, then started rolling in the grass like a fool. With Sophia, I was practically drawing diagrams for Dave of different 'what if' scenarios...I had to be sure he was completely prepared for anything my silly, bipolar, unpredictable brat girl might throw at him (its a good thing he loves me lol )

Anyway, after lots of time, and LOTS of getting Sophia to relax, I think they are completely fine with each other. I am SOOOOO pleased, because Sophia really doesnt like anybody (animal-wise, at least) except for Leeroy and Noke, and even the Noke relationship is a bit strained.

Currently, Sky is resting comfortably in a crate at the end of my bed, with Leeroy and Sophia passed out on either side. This has been a good day :thumbsup:
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs