Any quick ideas?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Any quick ideas?

Postby suzi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Bella went into surgery today to get her Mast Cell tumors removed.....There were 3. Her incision is right in the middle of the back of her neck,,,, :eek: they took a 6x3 inch chunk of hide off of her to get all of them as well as taking good margins.

I am unable to get to a store to shop for a harness (if they even make what I need) as she will not be able to wear a collar for at least 2 weeks. Bella loves to run out into the pasture and play,,,not a good thing with her incision, as in the PNW,,,,my pasture is very tall grass with lots of blackberries and just random stuff that could irratate her wound,,,she usually gets put on a tie out for am and late night pee and poop. She needs to be ringside for a while. Any ideas that I could put together at home? I thought of a weight pull harness, but the $$$'s are not available. Throw your thoughts my way,,,,,maybe we can come up with something.....Thanks!
suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Any quick ideas?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:08 pm

Just be creative with the leash... wrap it around the front legs, meet over the back... maybe even wrap a second time around the belly to discourage pulling... it the tumors were on one side and not the other, you can put the leash around the neck and the arm on the unaffected side. As long as your dog is lasso'd in some manner, it should be effective for the average dog potty break.

Can you post some pics?
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Can you post some pics?

masochist lol
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby suzi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:23 pm

It's not an easy incision to work with.....

Misskiwi67, I cannot post pics as I haven't a camera. The incision runs from ear to ear smack dab in the middle of her neck (there is a bit of a slant) a piece of her hide that was removed was about 7''x3'',,,,I'm guessing @ 30+ staples... If you would like to see it, I can picture text it to you,,,,pm me if you like with a # to send it to.

I will try a sling as mentioned,,,but it is in an akward area,,,and I cannot see this working....When she wakes,,,I will check this idea out...Thank-You.
suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Pitbull-Lady wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Can you post some pics?

masochist lol

Haha... just needed to see where the incisions were to know how to tell her to loop the leashes. Its common to avoid neck leads in dogs with neck/spinal issues, and you really do just need to get creative.

You can also use two leashes, put one around each front leg, and then loop the loops through each other to make a harness-ish thing over the back. Trust me, it can be done :D
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby suzi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:21 pm

You can also use two leashes, put one around each front leg, and then loop the loops through each other to make a harness-ish thing over the back. Trust me, it can be done

Yes! That would work!!!!! Thank-You so much! :thumbsup:
suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues