Hello from Oregon!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello from Oregon!

Postby Madrona » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:36 pm

Hi there,
I am a new Am. Staf. owner (Brody). I also have a lab/pit mix (Jackson), which may I say is the best mix in the whole world! (We do assisted pet therapy with him)

I did have a question about my new puppy but wasn't sure if this is the right place to ask it.
Someone was giving her away and they chose us for her new home. She is 4 months old and very very whiney. They told me when they first got her she was 4 weeks old, is this normal???? That seems really young to me!
We have only had Brody for 4 days and we are amazed at how smart she is. I'm not surprised though from the characteristics that Jackson has.
We have her in a crate at night, but with us in the house when we are home. I have noticed that she whines all the time. I kind of had a feeling that it had to do with being taken away so early so she is having some separation anxiety. If either of the dogs leaves the room or one of us she gets very nervous and whines and tries to follow, even though there is someone else still there. I am not worried, just curious what someone else might think. She is learning our routine well and is getting better with potty training.
I am also interested in doing assisted pet therapy with her when she gets older. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I shoud do now while she is young? Obedience is a big thing with us, so I already have her going that direction.
I've never had a pitbull before so I didn't know if there is any characteristics I should watch for and correct right away. (Like when she is playing with the other dogs)

Anyway,
I can't wait to read and get help from any of you, sorry if I rambled.
Thank you!
:peace:
Mica (and Brody, I'll post a picture as soon as I get one)
Madrona

Postby Boo439 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:54 pm

Welcome to the board!!
Boo439

Postby Tinka44 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:40 pm

Welcome!! I'm not an expert on dogs, or anxiety problems, but we did get Molly as an adult dog and she had severe separation anxiety. As soon as we left she would howl and cry so loud I was afraid of what the neighbors would think. We tried putting her in a cage as she was chewing on the door (original wood work in an 80 year old house!) but she would just break out of the cage, so we just let her deal with it. After about a month or so, she realized that we always came home and she is great home alone now!! I know there is a thread on the forum somewhere on this, you can do a search to find it and get other peoples thoughts.

:)
Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBullPride » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:19 pm

hello!
PitBullPride

Postby Boscoe13 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:19 pm

:welcome: to the board!
Boscoe13

Postby tjbsandy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:06 am

:hi
tjbsandy

Postby mypitmika » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:15 am

welcome :hi
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby moochesmama » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:11 pm

Hello Fellow Oregonian! and Welcome :thumbsup:

I'd cut her some slack for a few days about the whining - it takes awhile to settle in :))

If it keeps up though, make sure you're rewarding her with attention for not whining and not rewarding her for whining. If she's whining for a reason (potty, etc) take care of the need but don't reward the whining. I'm sure someone will have a better insight than that...I'm no expert.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby kernel scurry » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:45 pm

kernel scurry

Postby whiskeyman » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:12 pm

kernel scurry wrote:Image

dude that smiley is creepy

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby kernel scurry » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:39 pm

whiskeyman wrote:
kernel scurry wrote:Image

dude that smiley is creepy

jeremy

I know, its awesome! :)
kernel scurry

Postby Madrona » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:14 am

Moochesmama,
Do you know if any groups that are in Oregon (Portland area) that we might look into joining. Just a group that gets together and talks or has gatherings, I'm not really interested in the full on competition stuff.

I'm soooo mad, my scanner won't work so I can't put my pictures on!

We're doing as much research as we can so we can be informed parents. I can say that everyone at work that has met Brody has loved her.
She is settling into our routines, so I'm sure the whining will eventually stop. It has been years since I have had a puppy. The only problem is that she isn't whining to go outside, I have just been taking her out very often.
It is so nice that she fit right into our family. In fact, right now she and Jackson (lab/pit mix) are careening around the house playing. Should we make them ease up if they are going for the throat often? I know that is part of playing, but sometimes it seems kind of rough?
Thanks for your help!
Madrona

Postby satanscheerleader » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:45 am

Personally I don't let my dogs play rough or chew on each other at all. Some I have had since pups...others I got as adult and the rule is the same from day one...."Get the toy". I try to always focus their attention on inanimate objects instead of knawing on another dog. I don't mind them sharing a toy and tugging or chewing together as long as they aren't being snarly or aggessive about it. It all has to be fun and happy friendly play or they immediately loose the toy. It has worked really well for me. They know the rule and that it will be enforced so they try hard to keep things light and fun. I have had alot of luck in a multi pit home with no fights doing this.
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby southern_girl09 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:50 am

Welcome!
southern_girl09

Postby moochesmama » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:34 pm

Madrona wrote:Moochesmama,
Do you know if any groups that are in Oregon (Portland area) that we might look into joining. Just a group that gets together and talks or has gatherings, I'm not really interested in the full on competition stuff.

I'm soooo mad, my scanner won't work so I can't put my pictures on!

We're doing as much research as we can so we can be informed parents. I can say that everyone at work that has met Brody has loved her.
She is settling into our routines, so I'm sure the whining will eventually stop. It has been years since I have had a puppy. The only problem is that she isn't whining to go outside, I have just been taking her out very often.
It is so nice that she fit right into our family. In fact, right now she and Jackson (lab/pit mix) are careening around the house playing. Should we make them ease up if they are going for the throat often? I know that is part of playing, but sometimes it seems kind of rough?
Thanks for your help!

I'm pretty new to all this myself...though I've had my pitmix for 5 years, I just got involved in rescue. I'll let ya know if I hear of anything.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Next

Return to Introductions