rescue AmStaff questions....

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

rescue AmStaff questions....

Postby Canula2000 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:54 pm

Hello,
I run a small rescue in Utah. I brought home a very loving American Staffordshire Terrier today from the shelter to find him a new home. I have no experience with this breed and would like some training advice.
He is very good in the home, somewhat cautious with the new enviroment but nervous. He is good with my two kids and very happy. My problem is with his behaviour toward other dogs. He is very blunt and somewhat rude with his greetings and immediately gets up and begins to hump the other dog. Of course this causes the other dogs to be upset and will chastise him. He doesn't seem to know good doggie manners. Is this normal for the breed or should I be correcting his behavior??
Canula2000

Postby Canula2000 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:56 pm

...oops, I am not sure how to edit my message but I meant to say the dog is NOT nervous in the home.
Canula2000

Postby Wednesday » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:30 am

How old is he and is he fixed? One method of training that many people on this board use is the "Nothing in Life is Free" or NILF. If you do a search for it on Google, I am sure you will find a ton of information. Also, here is a link from the PBRC website about fostering pits/ Am. Staffs:

http://www.pbrc.net/recommendations.html

Stick around and ask a lot of questions. There is a ton of knowledge on this board. Thank you for taking in a pit even though you don't know much about the breed. We need more people like you in this world. :bowdown:
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby voodoopitbull » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:08 am

He could be slightly dog-aggressive. It's the norm for ASTs and other breeds. You cannot correct them out of it.

Check out these helpful websites:
www.pbrc.net
www.badrap.org

:welcome:
voodoopitbull

Postby tjbsandy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:13 am

:welcome:
tjbsandy

Postby PitBullPride » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:16 am

Welcome!
PitBullPride

Postby Gerald W. Wilson II » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:25 am

:bully:
Is he fixed would be my first question, and please dont adopt him out until he is. Next how old and do you know anything about his back ground? Most amstaffs that I have had dealing with are not very "bad word" (game) and get along well with other dogs but not all are the same and you dont know what his back ground may have been or if he is a mix with a more aggressive dog. I would also suggest having a breaking stick and knowing how to us it if you are going to be introducing unknown dogs to other pets. It is a good thing to rescue but please be aware of the dangers and how to avoid them, most bullies are the best animal a person could ever have but when confronted with the bad you should know what to do. I rescue and have learned some lessons the hard way, its not pretty and my heart has broken but at least now I know and I still love the breed. The breaking stick brings out emotions in some people but they must not have had to seperate a bully from another dog before, if the dog is (game) he will hold on for life and yelling, kicking, hitting just wont work, be safe not sorry. Good luck and thank you for helping the breed.
Gerald W. Wilson II

Postby Canula2000 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:24 am

I am very aware of NILF...I rescue Rottweilers and own one myself, I use this program already.
So, what I am reading tells me this dog may have dominant issues with other dogs and I should expect a fight??
What is a breaking stick and can I use something in place of one? I have had to break up a few fights in the beginnings of the rescue work but I have since learned how to "read" the dogs and have kept the dominant dog away from another dominant dog. Fighting Rottweiler bitches is not a pretty thing.
The AmStaff (possible mix) is appr. 1-1 1/2 years old. He is being neutered on Wensday of next week. I do not let a dog go until it is fixed. If this was a rottweiler I would think neutering would take most of this behavior away along with some training. The AmStaff is friendly and has been corrected by a rottie bitch I currently have, although the correction was taken lightly and the AmStaff jumped back up on her and started humping away. I immediately seperated the two.
Canula2000

Postby Boo439 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:37 pm

Welcome to the board!! Thanks so much for giving this guy a chance!!

A breaking stick is used to break up a fight between dogs. It is not uncommon for this breed to be dog-aggressive. It is actually more common than not. Many members here who have multi-dog homes have to keep their dogs separated at all times, while people like me have dogs that all get along very well under supervision. I would use caution while having this dog around other dogs. He may only be acting "rude" now, but when he comes out of his shell a bit he may go from rude to mean. Neutering really doesn't effect dog-aggression. Usually a dog is or isn't dog-aggressive. At least that's my understanding... I could be wrong though. I really don't know because both of my pit bulls love all other dogs...
Boo439

Postby Gerald W. Wilson II » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:47 pm

Yes you can make your own from a hammer handle or something like it, look on the web and find a pic and sand down a copy or just buy one they cost like 4.00 or something like that. Now lets say you have one, becareful because you have to put your hands into the fight and you could get bit. How do I stop that from happening, I dont have the answer you would like because the fight may not happen in a convienant place, I have in a case or two just thrown caution to the wind grabbed the head in one hand and pryed open the mouth with the other and as soon as they seperated took the pit out of the picture as fast as possible. In my cases the other dogs did not wish to continue the fight but the pit was fired up and wanted more after a while they cool down and they were ok but were never allowed with the other dog again. I will also say that every fight to this point in my experiance has been provoked by a non bully breed. When I see to much agression in a dog he is seperated from all dogs for further evaluation to see if they can be adopted to a only dog family or just have to go home to their maker. Its a cruel world they live in and sometimes it just isnt their fault but we as responsible owner and recuers have to protect the public as well as the breed.
Gerald W. Wilson II

Postby Gerald W. Wilson II » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:59 pm

Hey if this little funny guy bothers anyone I am sorry but I think hes funny and not aimed at anyone just laughter.
:peace: :bully: :peace:
Gerald W. Wilson II

Postby Canula2000 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:19 pm

Thanks for the info...I had know about dog aggression in the breed as being common which is why I hesitated about bringing him home. He was tested in the shelter and they do a really good job about weeding out any aggressive dogs. There is an active fight ring in the area (city wide) where the shelter is located so they try their best to weed out the adoptables. He made the cut into adoptions but his time had run out and they were going to euthanize him. He was way too cute and sweet for me to say no. Here is a picture...
Canula2000

Postby moochesmama » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:37 pm

He looks like a sweetie! Thanks for putting yourself out there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: He sounds like a typical AST/APBT...careful intros, close supervision, and know how to break up a fight if it happens. I would expose him only to the "easiest dogs" or none at all until you become more familiar with him.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby Boo439 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:01 pm

Canula2000 wrote:There is an active fight ring in the area (city wide) where the shelter is located so they try their best to weed out the adoptables.

Have the authorities done anything to try to stop it???
Boo439

Postby Gerald W. Wilson II » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:44 pm

You are right he is a very handsome young man. I have a 97 lbs Amstaff next to my as I type this who is a big ole baby and I hope your will turn out the same after some adjustment time. My young man is a neglect case he was for a year fed and watered but never touched so now he is a faidy cat but after 5 months is turning into a freaky lover who still will jump at his on poot, boy he does that alot. We know his breeder who is the one who took him back from the people she sold him to once she learned of his fate and this goes to show you some folks are just not made to care for anything this dogs grandfather competed in the Westminster dog show some years ago and is just beautiful but now he is just ours and that is ok to.
:peace: :bully: :peace:
Gerald W. Wilson II

Next

Return to Introductions