Transporting puppies 8 months and under to CANADA - LAW INFO

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Transporting puppies 8 months and under to CANADA - LAW INFO

Postby karladaune » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:50 pm

MODS - can we please make this a sticky?

Ok, so...I transport dogs to rescues in British Columbia quite frequently. I have noticed a trend of these border crossings becoming more and more difficult the past 6 months, with my last trip back HOME resulting in my boyfriends car being searched.

Last weekend, I participated in (and helped coordinate) a transport of a 10wk old puppy coming out of Oregon bound for BC. As for as transports go, this one was relatively painless...until the border crossing.

Poppet was not allowed across the border. His transporter, a Canadian citizen, was stuck. Luckily, she was able to contact one of the other transporters who graciously offered to return to the border and overnight the puppy while 'paperwork' got sorted out.

So, now nearly a week later, after several phone calls and emails, and requests for clarification, we have an official answer of what is required to transport dogs under 8 months for rescue.

All animals 8 months and under driving over the border require vet health papers (this is nothing new, but was all that was ever asked of me before.)

All animals over 3 months require proof of Rabies vaccination (again, not new)

All animals 8 months and younger require a certificate of import to enter the country. A one-time use certificate can be purchased for $35, or a multi-entry pass good for one year can be purchased for $175
[url]http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/permit_covere.shtml
[/url]

In addition, ANY animal that requires a certificate of import MUST have a CFIA inspection at the port of entry (border) for the cost of $30 for the first pup, $5 for any additional.

To complicate this further, you must call ahead to make an appointment with a CFIA Veterinarian to make sure that there will be somebody there at the border to inspect the pup(s) and release them into the country. Unlike border crossing guards, CFIA agents are NOT always present.

If any of you want me to forward the emails to you from the government officials I spoke with regarding this matter, PM me with your email address and I will gladly forward.
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Is this the case with ALL of Canada or just BC? I know someone who works at customs here and all we need is proof of rabies vaccination. I got Dolly from a rescue in the states in April of 2008 and she was allowed through with proof of rabies vaccination, and then I brought her back to be spayed (was in the adoption contract, and cheaper anyway) a few weeks later and it was the same thing when I came back. The customs agent actually came out to pet her because she thought she was so cute.
APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby karladaune » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:53 pm

my understanding was that this is (and has been) the law for quite a while in all of Canada, but apparently rarely enforced. I had been transporting quite some time before running into this problem. My purpose for posting all of this was to make sure that people didnt run into this problem and get stranded like we did...better safe than sorry!
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:37 pm

no no, agree, I just was curious if it was all of Canada or not because I never encountered the problem nor heard of it, now I know though, so looks like I'll have a lot of new preperations to take into consideration next time I decide to go South of the border so as I can come back home.
APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby caped dog » Wed May 13, 2009 12:49 am

thanks for this link and info. Have you had any further experiences that were better/worse?
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Transporting puppies 8 months and under to CANADA - LAW INFO

Postby Maven » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:25 pm

This is interesting. I am a Canadian Citizen with a US GreenCard, and I have yet to have a problem coming or going in either direction. I had once thought I would have a problem coming into Wa as there is (I believe) some BSL in WA state. But my last trip I needed to stop at customs as I am importing my truck to the US and I was worried about the dogs. The border control officers were in love with Maven and were playing with her while I was inside at customs.

I do always have tags and paperwork when I cross, and have yet to be asked to produce them. Though I wa once asked where the originated and if they were staying or would they return to the US. One dog was Canadian and the other is an American.. LOL..

When we ship horses the border in both directions wants an international health cert and a few other veterinary papers. As well as we have to state if the horse is for import or is on a brief trip and back to the US. If it is one way there are taxes up the ... to pay.
Yes, there is a vet check going both directions.. kinda sorta sounds like they are treating livestock and dogs alike.
Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby michelles_guyk5 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:17 am

I had read that you couldn't take a pitbull into Canada for any reason, or any age. I have to go to Canada this coming week and if there was a way to take my 12 week old pup, that would be awesome. Does anyone have experience taking a pit into canada recently? I will only be there a week. Thanks, Aaron
michelles_guyk5
Newborn Bully

Postby dickybird » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:57 pm

You can't take pit bulls into the Province of Ontario as they are banned there. You shouldn't have a problem with other Provinces - just dome cities have BSL.
dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby michelles_guyk5 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:52 am

Yeah, I was headed to Niagara Falls, ONT, so I didn't take the chance and had her baby-sat all week.. Sure missed her, but there is definitely a ban in Ontario. Thanks

Aaron
michelles_guyk5
Newborn Bully

Re: Transporting puppies 8 months and under to CANADA - LAW

Postby APBT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 am

I would think to just go into canada with me and my pup in a cage.. guess that would be a waste of gas and time :)
APBT
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs