Hello! New to Pit Bulls and forum!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Postby jkd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:49 am

Thanks Voodoo, you have went out of you way to help me and i greatful.

Good Bye
jkd

Postby lucydog » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:38 am

voodoopitbull wrote:
jkd wrote:There is plenty of time for the dog, but if a Pitbull is not an outside dog...then its not for me.

Maybe you and your parents can both come to a compromise on a dog you both would like. Good luck!

Good advice. Not all APBTs are large. We have one who is only 36lbs. She is a great indoor dog. Our 55 lb. one is a great indoor dog too though.

I have done a lot of adoption counseling in animal shelters, and as a result I am of the belief that all adults in a home should be "bought in" to the dog. An adult who has been living in a foster home and is cat-tested and housbroken might be best. That way everyone knows the size and the temperament of the dog.

Welcome to the forum!
lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby oko pol » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:32 pm

WELCOME !
oko pol

Postby whiskeyman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:16 pm

:peace: Welcome :peace:

First, I just want to let you know that there is no reason to be so defensive. Boo wasn't trying to imply that you weren't going to be a responsible dog owner at all. She was simply stating that a new owner asking the questions you were asking is a pretty common occurence. These situations rarely turn out for the good of the dog and often lead to dogs been given to friends or dumped at shelters.

No one is saying that this is what is going to happen if you get a pup. However they are saying that if it doesn't happen then you are the exception not the norm. No one here knows you personally so opinions can only be made by the information that you give us.

Pitbulls are very people oriented and really need a lot of attention compaired to other breeds. A happy pitbull is one that is with his family as much as possible. I myself would not keep one outside for this reason alone. A pitbull requires a great deal of love and attention and you can probably double or triple the need of one that is an outside dog. They thrive on the love that you show them, and often do not do well without it. A pitbull gives you its undevided attention and should recieve the same in return. It makes for a much better dog/owner relationship.

Have you talked to you parents about getting a pitbull? What do they think about them as a breed? Are they willing to care for the dog if for some reason you were not able to?

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby Gerald W. Wilson II » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:01 am

:bully:
Hey bet ya didnt know it could be so emotional huh, well owning a bully is not like owning other dogs if for no reason other than their are people trying to erase the breed and are not willing to address the deed, the deed being abuse, irresponsible owners, and irresponsible breeders, as well an education program to enlighten the rest of society of the good bullys which is by far greater than the bad. I would add that if you live in the country and are home a good bit that outside is ok as long as the pet has good housing and plenty of play room and your attention. I would also bet that if you get a bully you will fall in love and it will wind up sleeping in your bed. Please read up on the breed, be willing to take extra precautions in keep your dog out of trouble and talk to other like here who have experiance. They are a wonderful animal but in the wrong hands they can be your worst nightmare. Good luck
:bully:
Gerald W. Wilson II

Postby kernel scurry » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:40 pm

This is a great board, best dog owners on the .net IMHO. Please dont get defensive when someone is trying to make sure the dog will be in the best hands. Read the board a bit, you'll find noone is insulting or harsh, but we do ask questions.... if you ask a question (like you did) be prepared for questions to be asked back. You wanted the *best* advice, right? That means the people responding needs as much info as possible to give it to you. :)
kernel scurry

Previous

Return to Introductions