Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby hooligan777 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:35 pm

I feed my crew Taste of the Wild. They really seem to love it and it actually smells like whats in it i.e. fish with the Salmon one and meat with the others. They have healthier coats and seem more energetic (which can be quite dangerous lol )and of course, the poops aren't as smelly :thumbsup:
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
hooligan777
Newborn Bully

Postby Harley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the input
Harley
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby apbtdog1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:21 pm

racheroonie wrote:I'm surprised at reading this that so many people dislike Nutro. I've had my dogs on Natural choice for so long now.

But here's the issue... with my schnauzer and yorkie, a few months back... they were barfing up yellowy liquids. On the consumer affairs website, most of the owners complained about this. We never really thought it was the food and switched off it.

Now again, we're on it for my puppy pit. They do not barf at all and they love it and we're doing well on it. But, I think I might switch... probably to Wellness.

I would agree i fed Nutro "Natural Choice & Ultra" for a long time never seen yellow puke but once i guess that was all it took though My buddy "Pete" (4years) got pancreatitus about a month and a half ago. He was puking at first took him to the vet that wednesday and the vet gave hime something for nausea the next day he was still puking i took him back and they did blood work determined he had pancreatitus hospitalized him friday til monday they put him on Science diet I.P. formula for three days three cans a days for three days. I asked the vet what i should start feeding him or stop feeding him. He asked "do you feed him table scraps?" No of course not i said so he said " we will worry about changing his diet if he relapse" but i don't want him to relapse ya know? I study about lots of different dog foods all the time and like to think i know how to read a ingredients label but maybe i don''t as well as i'd like to! Since then i have switched my dogs to Taste of Wild for a little while & now to Blue Buffalo-Life protection Formula wich is a little more expensive wich cost doesnt matter when it comes to my babies. I am trying to figure out what/which commercial dog foof to feed my babies though. The one one that got pancreatitus is 4yrs. i got another male that is ! 1/2 yrs. and a 3 year old female the female and the 1 1/2 year old male have never had any problems on Nutro. I don't know if the dog food led to pancreatitus in my 4year old or what but i always thouht Nutro was a better than average dog food. I would like some opinions on what to feed my babies though. I don't wanna feed raw i am scared i won't be able to fullfill all of thier needs as far as what vitamins and nutrients they need that way. Any input would be greatly appreciated
apbtdog1
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about Verus dog food??
MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby SweetTea » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:16 pm

I have fed Natural balance, Wellness, Nutro Natural Choice, Bil-Jac, California natural, Canidae ALS, and EVO.

Did away with the nutro and bil-jac after finding out they are crap. I loved loved loved the results of my 3 yr old husky on Canidae but then they changed the formula and added more grains/fillers so I switched her to EVO large bites and she is doing amazing on it. She has very firm, small stools and only poops once a day. Also only have to feed her 1 1/2 cups a day and she maintains a trim 45 lb figure. Her coat is very soft and silky and stays a perfect white.

Fed foster GSDs with sensitive stomachs Cal Natural but it didn't help at all.

I was happy with how shiny Wellness made my GSD and foster's coats but the dogs always had soft stools. I recently switched my GSD to Natural Balance sweet potato and fish and his stools have firmed up immediately. I couldn't be happier! I've fed Natural Balance in the past with fosters and have always had good results. So EVO and NB are my current faves.

I would love to try Orijen out one day.
SweetTea
Matured Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:12 am

Hi there.

I have been feeding my dogs Science Diet Mature for the last few years, one is a 13yr old pit/lab mix the other is a 10 yr old pit. I also have a 5 and a half month old pit puppy who has been eating the Science Diet Puppy formula.

The puppy doesn't seem to be eating as much as she should, I usually feed her 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 at night. She never usually finishes. After reading the majority of this thread, I am ready to make a switch. I can't do barf but I did find a store that carries Timberwolf by us. My question is if it is ok to feed the puppy the same food as the older dogs or do they need a different blend? What Timberwolf blend would be good for the 3 if so?

And am I correct that the food does not need to be blended and weened? How much should I feed the puppy compared to the adults? The puppy is about 35lbs and almost 6 months old.
Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:21 am

Let me also ask, if you had to buy from Petco, what would be the best food that they offer?
Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Angela Adams » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:14 am

Waterjunkie wrote:Let me also ask, if you had to buy from Petco, what would be the best food that they offer?

From Petco...For your pup I would feed this... Wellness Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy Health Puppy Food OR Solid Gold Wolf Cub Large Breed Puppy Dog Food

Also, Blue Buffalo is a good brand too.
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby DoggyDaddy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Today my pups had more runny stools on kibble Nutro. I had this problem earlier this year and started mixing in the canned Nutro for sensitive stomachs. This has been an ongoing problem so I think I will change their food. I'm paying almost $60 for a 3 week supply so I"ll pay more if their stomach problems will go away.
DoggyDaddy
Matured Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Has anyone researched or fed their dogs Costco's new grain free dog food? It's called Nature's Domain. I can find the ingredients on line but not the Guaranteed Analysis. It would appear that this is also a Diamond produced dog food and is a spin off of Taste of the Wild.
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Re:

Postby Imanis_mommi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:26 pm

Ariel Payopay wrote:Timberwolf is the shiznit!!! :headbang:

Yes it is!!! I used to feed it in San Diego California but havent found a distributer here in Miami :(
Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Angela Adams wrote:
Waterjunkie wrote:Let me also ask, if you had to buy from Petco, what would be the best food that they offer?

From Petco...For your pup I would feed this... Wellness Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy Health Puppy Food OR Solid Gold Wolf Cub Large Breed Puppy Dog Food

Also, Blue Buffalo is a good brand too.

Solid gold is an amazing dog food Ifed it in San diego when I couldnt get TW... My destiny and my fosters did very well on it!!I lived a half a block from the distributer in El Cajon CA they are great people and very dog savy!!:peace:
Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Re: Re:

Postby pitbulliest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Imanis_mommi wrote:
Ariel Payopay wrote:Timberwolf is the shiznit!!! :headbang:

Yes it is!!! I used to feed it in San Diego California but havent found a distributer here in Miami :(

Timberwolf has been having some issues with its food lately. There have been a few recalls at the store I work at, and now the distributor just doesn't bother carrying it anymore, so its very hard to find Timberwolf Organics in Toronto. Furthermore, I have just been 'enlightened' that TO has misrepresented its food via its name. It is not organic. I am rather disappointed. Aside from these mishaps and its lousy customer service, I have stopped and would not bother going back to Timberwolf Organics.

That reminds me, the TOP 5 list should be updated. There are some new foods I've done my research on out there that are excellent. A few of them are made in Canada. Orijen, Acana, and Nature's Harvest to name a few.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby karladaune » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:26 pm

NorCalRose wrote:Has anyone researched or fed their dogs Costco's new grain free dog food? It's called Nature's Domain. I can find the ingredients on line but not the Guaranteed Analysis. It would appear that this is also a Diamond produced dog food and is a spin off of Taste of the Wild.

I've been looking for it up here in WA...one would think we would have it since Costco is headquartered here, but apparently thats not the case. According to Nature's Domain, its being offered in the CA Bay area only on a trial basis.

I know of one person who is feeding it currently and her dogs are doing well on it...I'm really hoping that its successful in CA so they start distributing it up here!
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby laiinkyree » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:33 pm

I browsed a little bit, but didn't see it on here. What do you guys think of Taste of the Wild?
laiinkyree
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues